Point and Shoot !!!!!!

Gottacruise3

I used to carry an older Olympus. However, I found that the point-and-shoot Canon SX110IS is more easy to carry, and has both the megapixels and zoom I wanted. I've shot it one-handed, and as a lark, took a self-portrait photo that surprisingly came out well.

Plus it takes AA rechargable batteries - some cameras have their own battery sizes, and some do NOT take rechargables unless you upgrade their firmware.

I know many peopl consider them a "con" when looking for a camera, but I personally like the proprietary batteries. I have bought an additional battery for each of the digital cameras I have owned and I have never had a problem when starting the day with both fully charged. Top tell the truth, I rarely go through one battery in a day. The proprietary batteries make smaller cameras and chargers possible, saving me room which is one of the big advantages of P & S cameras -- at least for me. I can keep the camera, the charger, a spare battery, and a spare media card or two in a little carrying case. Or more typically, I leave the case and charger in the cabin and keep the camera (and sometimes the spare battery) in my pocket.

I know many peopl consider them a "con" when looking for a camera, but I personally like the proprietary batteries. I have bought an additional battery for each of the digital cameras I have owned and I have never had a problem when starting the day with both fully charged. Top tell the truth, I rarely go through one battery in a day. The proprietary batteries make smaller cameras and chargers possible, saving me room which is one of the big advantages of P & S cameras -- at least for me. I can keep the camera, the charger, a spare battery, and a spare media card or two in a little carrying case. Or more typically, I leave the case and charger in the cabin and keep the camera (and sometimes the spare battery) in my pocket.

I agree. I think the battery for my Sony lasts a lot longer than even the rechargeable AA's. One thing I need is a viewfinder (having grown up with film cameras). Unfortunately they're becoming harder and harder to find without going to a DSLR ( which I don't think I need). So I'll probably be sticking to my Sony DSC-H7 for a while. I did get a waterproof Fuji just so I had something to use in the rain, etc. which has just the LCD - boy what a learning curve. I have a problem holding it steady. But it's just my back-up so not a problem.

I have several cameras (still a couple of 35mm, gasp!). The two I use the most are the Nikon D60, which is a DSLR, and a Canon S1-IS ( P&S but not pocketable). I think one of the most important features for just about anyone but especially a novice is image stabilization (IS in Canon) because it helps keep your slight movements at a minimum and therefore less blur in photos.

I agree with a few things other posters have said. One being the photographer is more important than the camera. Taking the time to learn about exposure and composition can make a world of difference. I agree that the proprietary batteries last longer than the AA or AAA rechargeables. The feel of a camera is very important - never underestimate this. Before I bought my D60, I was sure I would be buying the D90, but it was massive in my hands and I never had a comfort level with it. The first time I held the D60, it was like it was made for my hands. I do disagree that it takes more than $1000 to get into a DSLR - I bought mine with two lenses, battery, case, strap, 2 instructional DVDs, etc for right at $800. But I do think that starting out with a good P&S would be a good starting place. I'm currently looking at a Canon PowerShot A110 IS for a little camera to throw in my purse.

Finally, there is a photo board on CC with some very knowledgeable and helpful people there : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118 I've gotten some great advice/feedback from these people over the years.

Archived