Point and Shoot !!!!!!

Gottacruise3

DH is the togger of the family.... I use my cell phone camera to post daily pics on FaceBook for my family to follow.

On the Med cruise last year he was using a Canon 450D, 17-85mm IS and a 55-250mm IS. Do not ask me what the numbers mean!

On our cruise earlier this year he took a Canon 10-22mm ultra wide angle lens and he loves it for landscapes and buildings.

There is a photography forum, click here

If your not a professional, and want decent pictures just go to Best Buy and ask some questions. You can also look at Amazon and read customer reviews. I use a canon 10 mega pixel point and shoot camera, there isn't a lot of bells and whistles that i use. As long as it takes decent pictures thats all that matters to me.

I am a complete doofus with a camera. I read the user guide and self-taught myself how to use our Canon digital camera. I can now take pictures, movies, and upload them to my laptop, and then make composite movies and upload those to YouTube.

If I can do that, then anyone can do it. The Canon has a lot of features I cannot fathom how to use, so I don't use them!

DH, of course, takes wonderful pictures. Here's our trip to French Polynesia and Australia that I just posted 4 days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/Peggycur

Having looked at so many great pictures, just wondering what kind of camera do you use. And what is the best kind of camera for a novice like me.

I have been very happy with Canon Digital Point And Shoot cameras. I just keep it in my pocket, and whip it out when I want to talk a picture. I'm not interested in f-stops, etc. I just want a nice looking photo, and I think Canon delivers most of the time. The only downside is that indoor pictures are sometimes blurry. I don't like using the flash indoors, especially in museums and large rooms such as a cruise ship Atrium. Sometimes with my point and shoot, the picture comes out blurry. But other times it's great. Other than that, I've been very happy using Canon Point and Shoot cameras.

If you'd like to see some examples, click on any of my ship photo sets in my signature below. They were all taken with a Canon Point and Shoot.

I have a very nice digital SLR camera that I DO NOT bring on cruises with me. I'm worried about something happening to it. I bring my small point and shoot. It's a Cannon Powershot SD1000. It's small so it fit's easily in a pocket. It's 7.1 mega pixels and it takes fantastic pictures.

I have a very nice digital SLR camera that I DO NOT bring on cruises with me. I'm worried about something happening to it. I bring my small point and shoot. It's a Cannon Powershot SD1000. It's small so it fit's easily in a pocket. It's 7.1 mega pixels and it takes fantastic pictures.

My primary camera is a Canon Rebel XT DSLR. I also have a 3 year old Canon point and shoot. I will probably take both on our upcoming cruise. I'll use the DSLR onboard and the P&S to go ashore so I don't have to worry about a big bulky camera.

I generally carry both a DSLR and a point-and-shoot. While camera quality does matter, it has gotten to the point where even the name brands (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax) have cheapies that produce very nice pictures ... the difference then becomes the person holding the camera.

My one suggestion ... if you are looking to buy a camera, read reviews and drop out the lemons. Then, however, IMO the most important step is to go to a store and actually hold the camera to see how it feels in your hands. No matter how great of pictures a camera takes, if you don't like using it or have trouble using it, it is a waste of money.

The best camera for you is going to be one that you are comfortable using. I am a big believer that the photographer takes the picture, not the camera.

Before I purchased my camera I read several reviews which helped narrow down my options. The decision on what brand/model to purchase was made after I visited a camera store to see what one I was most comfortable using. I was looking for an entry level SLR and was debating between a Canon and a Nikon. Both were capable of great photos. I chose the Nikon D40 because it felt more comfortable in my hand and I was more familiar with their menu's (as I had previously had a Nikon P&S).

If you are a novice I would stick to a point a shoot camera. If you think you would like to learn more about photography. Then you can go with a DSLR. With a DSLR their is a learning curve. They can be very expensive.

With a DSLR you will want and need a few different lenses, which are expensive and most of the time more costly than the camera body.

You can get a good point and shoot camera for under $300, but a $1000 will barely get you started with a DSLR.

Unless your serious about your photos. You won't want to carry around a DSLR with all or its lenses. You can carry a point and shoot camera around in your pocket. You will probably take better pictures with a point and shoot camera until you learn all of settings and advantages of a DSLR.

I could tell you what camera I use now and it would tell you nothing. Friends have asked me your question and I have done myself a favor and not answered.

What I will do is give you a guideline as to what you should plan on.

1. The larger the mega pixel the camera has the better quality enlargement you can get. If your plan is the standard snap shot, 4-6 mega pixel will do you quite nicely.

2. While Canon and Olympus are quality products, Kodak and Fuji make a product that takes a good quality photo.

3. Two identical cameras, one with a plastic lens vs. a good glass lens will be $20-$30 apart in price. Pay the extra couple of bucks. Look ONLY at cameras with optical glass lens.

4. Batteries. Look only at cameras that take regular sized batteries: AA or AAA. My daughter was given a good camera that takes some weird flat battery that costs $45 to replace, no thanks.

5. Almost every person who has talked about getting a camera has always qualified it with a cost. “What’s a good $100 camera?” Sooooo, either add $75 to what you want to spend, or lower your sights by $75 for accessories you WILL NEED.

Cameras do not come with memory cards, so what does a 4 or 8 Gig card cost in your area. TWO sets of rechargeable batteries PLUS charger and don’t forget sales tax. So if you want to spend $200, look at $125 cameras.

Now for the magic of digital cameras. Take photos like crazy. Learn what the camera can and cannot do. The cost is whatever it takes to recharge the batteries. I come from the school of each shot costing $0.35. Lighting, focus, framing etc. I now shoot multiple frames from the hip, not even using the view finder. Growing up I was proud of my 90%+ keeper rate. 10 photos out of 100 thrown away for whatever reason. I now shoot hundreds during a vacation since they don’t cost anything.

So whatever you get, get it now and shoot at least 200 photos a week before your vacation to get proficient.

I used to use a Canon Powershot until I took a trip to Bermuda and the photos look great digitally. However when printing them they looked terrible. I was very angry. After I calmed down and did some serious research I bought a Nikon D40. It is easy to use and I have been very happy with the results. I didn't want a bulky camera to carry around because I didn't want to feel tied down. The D40 is one of the smallest SLR's. What seperates SLR's from Point and shoot camera's are the image sensor's and the lenses. I can tell you the difference between my Canon point and shoot and my Nikon D40 SLR are night and day. You can still find the D40 online or in a few stores. The D40 has been replaced by the Nikon D3000. I did allot of research before I made my decision. Take a look at http://www.kenrockwell.com and look at his recommended cameras for some info. Good luck.

I now shoot multiple frames from the hip, not even using the view finder. Growing up I was proud of my 90%+ keeper rate. 10 photos out of 100 thrown away for whatever reason. I now shoot hundreds during a vacation since they don’t cost anything.

They do cost something ... time. Taking hundreds to get used to your camera is a good idea. During a trip may not be necessary. I take more photos than I print/post, but I still don't go crazy because it still takes time to look at them, decide whether they are worth keeping/printing, post-processing them (optional), etc.

The best camera for you is going to be one that you are comfortable using. I am a big believer that the photographer takes the picture, not the camera.

quote]

Very true. My recommendation is to go to a camera store and talk to the experts. Don't go to a Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Sure, they sell cameras but they also sell many other products. You don't know if the person you are talking to knows what they are talking about. Most likely, the salesman at a camera store is a camera buff and he/she will be able to give you lots of info on what to buy for your needs. You don't have to buy the camera there, but at least talk with the experts.

Any camera today is capable of taking great pictures if you know how to use it. As others have mentioned, find a camera that you are comfortable with, then learn how to use it to it's fullest.

Opened this thread with glee and excitment. Thought by the topic....Point and Shoot...it was what Diamond Plus members wanted to do to senior management over changes to the loyalty program.

Oh well, guess I will go ask the camera expert in our home "Honey, where do I push the bottun on this thing?"

When I was uh somewhat younger, I had 2 camera bodies and several lenses I took with me on every trip. I considered the huge camera bag to be a badge of honor. But in the 21st century, I think my point and shoot camera takes pictures as good as my fancy SLR film cameras did in the last century. My current camera is a Sony [can't remember the model number]. I got it primarily because it is small enough to fit in a pocket but still has a 5X optical zoom. I was iniitally disappointed with its image quality, but as I have gotten familiar with it, it has been fine. It is only 8 mp, but good enough for me.

Next time, I will probably not get Sony simply because it uses a proprietary memory stick storage format that causes the data cards to be more expensive [anyone remember Beta vs. VHS?]. Panasonic has some cameras that are small enough to be pocket capable but still pack a 10x optical zoom. I have heard good reviews although the more recent reviews suggest they have sacrificed some sturdiness to make it smaller.

Two hints:

1. Learn what the "macro" focus button [the little flower] is for. I have gotten some great pictures of flowers and other small, close up objects because of that little button [and it is surprising how many folks do not know what it is there for]

2. Avoid buying a camera on the ship. My experience is (1) the models they have are not the most current, and (2) their prices are a bit high. [However, if for some reason you find yourself at sea without one, their prices are not THAT bad, I would buy one on board before going the whole cruise without pictures].

I have a Panasonic DMC-SZ3. I got it becuase it has 12x zoom and HD movie capabilties all in a pocketable point a shoot body. it fits in my little evening bag to accompany me when i go out at night. no manual controls but i wanted a simple point and shoot camera so it delivers. the zoom really comes in handy for getting shots you would have never otherwise considered.

I have a Panasonic DMC-SZ3. I got it becuase it has 12x zoom and HD movie capabilties all in a pocketable point a shoot body. it fits in my little evening bag to accompany me when i go out at night. no manual controls but i wanted a simple point and shoot camera so it delivers. the zoom really comes in handy for getting shots you would have never otherwise considered.
Also this camera has a wide angle lens that is great for scenic photos. It was ranked at the top of the compact cameras by Digital Photography Review. I don't have one myself but use a canon point and shoot that does a fine job, but if I were going to buy a new travel camera I would buy the Panasonic. It was originally known s the TZ7 and the TZ stands for Travel Zoom so I guess it was designed for us travelers. Here's a link to their review: Compact Superzoom Review

Bob

How is the image quality? Are you happy with it?

Archived