VIP Luggage Tags-Carnival

fmjets11

My grandparents are VIP members and they have these that you put on your bags when you get off of the ship because they let handicapped people off first, then they let VIP member off.

Could I have theres to use on my bags and get off the ship early even if it is my first cruise? I have heard mixed opinions and wondered if anyone has done this.

This could save a few hours on gettin off of the ship, and we have 7 hour drive in front of us so I would love to get off the ship first ;)

Thanks!

My grandparents are VIP members and they have these that you put on your bags when you get off of the ship because they let handicapped people off first, then they let VIP member off.

Could I have theres to use on my bags and get off the ship early even if it is my first cruise? I have heard mixed opinions and wondered if anyone has done this.

This could save a few hours on gettin off of the ship, and we have 7 hour drive in front of us so I would love to get off the ship first ;)

Thanks!

You can do self-debark and be the first off the ship as soon as it clears customs.

We've used the "self-disembark" on many cruises....it's great if you can take everything yourself!

You must get up early, you will be given a special lounge or area to wait in and be ready to go!

If you have a long drive or an early flight, it's a great idea. If you really don't have to do this.....don't.

Sometimes it's a big "hurry-up and wait", no one can get off the ship until it clears customs, any way! If you don't need to rush.......don't; hang around and watch everyone else scurrying about [like hamster's on a wheel].....this is the one part of the cruise that, personally, I don't get......why must we get off, like the darn ship's on fire?

My DH does the very same thing.......He wants to rush off! I won't do it anymore! Unless, of course, it's truly necessary......And, it's usually not.

It's just a "mind-set", we've all been conditioned to follow; to be the first in line; the first off the ship; the first to get to your car or to the taxi....and on and on!

I plan to just sit and wait and watch and relax on our next cruise, in January. I also will not plan the shuttle; airline; or meeting so soon that I can't take my time......

We've used the "self-disembark" on many cruises....it's great if you can take everything yourself!

You must get up early, you will be given a special lounge or area to wait in and be ready to go!

If you have a long drive or an early flight, it's a great idea. If you really don't have to do this.....don't.

Sometimes it's a big "hurry-up and wait", no one can get off the ship until it clears customs, any way! If you don't need to rush.......don't; hang around and watch everyone else scurrying about [like hamster's on a wheel].....this is the one part of the cruise that, personally, I don't get......why must we get off, like the darn ship's on fire?

My DH does the very same thing.......He wants to rush off! I won't do it anymore! Unless, of course, it's truly necessary......And, it's usually not.

It's just a "mind-set", we've all been conditioned to follow; to be the first in line; the first off the ship; the first to get to your car or to the taxi....and on and on!

I plan to just sit and wait and watch and relax on our next cruise, in January. I also will not plan the shuttle; airline; or meeting so soon that I can't take my time......

Excellent post. Says it all. I usually self-debark (the main reason, so I don't have to put my luggage in the hallway at midnite)I sometimes wait until almost everyone is off the ship. If you aren't first in line to even self-debark forget it, you'll just be jammed in the elevators and stairwells like cattle attempting to get off the ship. I've never understood this concept of cruising :confused:, excluding of course those that must get off the ship and get to an airport. Its probably our American heritage to always try to be first, I guess. :D

Excellent post. Says it all. I usually self-debark (the main reason, so I don't have to put my luggage in the hallway at midnite)I sometimes wait until almost everyone is off the ship. If you aren't first in line to even self-debark forget it, you'll just be jammed in the elevators and stairwells like cattle attempting to get off the ship. I've never understood this concept of cruising :confused:, excluding of course those that must get off the ship and get to an airport. Its probably our American heritage to always try to be first, I guess. :D

Let me be the FIRST to say, Thank You! :rolleyes:

The year that the shuttle burned up over Texas, we were waiting on the Lido deck to see it land at Kenedy Space Center (Cape Canaveral) and actually had the privelege of being the last two people off the ship. Some guy came up behind us just before we pinged for the last time and I graciously let him go before us.

Last year we were Platinum and got off early.

To be honest...staying on late is good...Getting off early is good.

Even if you are Platinum and get off early, there is line that seems to take forever to get to the front of. If you're not in a hurry, stay till the end...there is no line but there is also no beer.

We always stay in Florida for a couple days post cruise so we don't need to stretch our vacation.

yea that sounds like a better idea, but I am sure everything is shut down on the ship even early that morning right? So no breakfast?

You dont think its worth it to use the VIP tags?

Are the tags blue with #1's?? Then yes, you can go ahead and put on bags- just tear off little square #1 and hold onto in case asked for disembarking number.

It will thus put luggage area in #1 to claim and be first called post self-disembark & I believe handicap. Saves time to hit the road.

We have been VIP often, and last cruise cabin steward gave us "#8" tags- just went down with an old #1 in hand and said I needed more (mind you I did this around midnight before last morning when pursers desk very quiet) and was given more tags. Hope this is clear (as mud as the saying goes).

So I see no trouble using VIP tags- IMHO

Are the tags blue with #1's?? Then yes, you can go ahead and put on bags- just tear off little square #1 and hold onto in case asked for disembarking number.

It will thus put luggage area in #1 to claim and be first called post self-disembark & I believe handicap. Saves time to hit the road.

We have been VIP often, and last cruise cabin steward gave us "#8" tags- just went down with an old #1 in hand and said I needed more (mind you I did this around midnight before last morning when pursers desk very quiet) and was given more tags. Hope this is clear (as mud as the saying goes).

So I see no trouble using VIP tags- IMHO

We just got off the Liberty last Saturday and just putting the tags on your luggage would not have worked. First when they did call for number 1 and number 2 tags to disembark anyone who tried to get off earlier than what was called the security system buzzed when the S&S was inserted and they were told to step aside and wait for their tag to be called. The other thing we noticed is when the ship started calling self disembark tags they were tied to a particular deck (higher decks) and the elevators would not stop at lower decks either on the way up or on the way down.

Don't know if they use the same system fleet wide but the whole thing seemed to flow very smoothly.

We just got off the Liberty last Saturday and just putting the tags on your luggage would not have worked. First when they did call for number 1 and number 2 tags to disembark anyone who tried to get off earlier than what was called the security system buzzed when the S&S was inserted and they were told to step aside and wait for their tag to be called.

I don't think the machine was buzzing them because they tried to cheat the system. That alarm goes off because either they didn't settle their account or immigration or customs wants to meet with them for further questioning.

Unfortunately, I know this from first hand experience and it was a big hassle over nothing because I had not even exceeded my customs limit.

I don't think the machine was buzzing them because they tried to cheat the system. That alarm goes off because either they didn't settle their account or immigration or customs wants to meet with them for further questioning.

Unfortunately, I know this from first hand experience and it was a big hassle over nothing because I had not even exceeded my customs limit.

We were a couple of people back from passengers and they were buzzed and were told to step aside because their tag number had not been called, unless the ship person was confused. Then the family right in front of us buzzed and the asked them if they had used "luggage express" and when they answered yes they were told they would have to go to a certain lounge.

It was a first for me to see it but it was smoothest disembarking I have ever seen in the thirteen Carnival cruises we have been on.

See what I mean? So many people say different things I dont really know what to believe. I guess its best just sit back and relax. It is still "vacation" so might as well enjoy the very end of it too ;)

Trust me.....this is the best thing to do!

You can have breakfast in the dining room or the buffet.

Then you can sit in one of the public areas and wait for everyone else to fight their way off the ship.

Then you can just stroll off the ship.

Believe me, it's not fun standing in the stairwells waiting for the line to move. Much more relaxing to wait.

Archived