7am flight out of Rome..What to do

My husband and I are cruising on the Galaxy May 31st. Because we are using our frequent flyer miles, we couldn't get a flight out of Rome until 7am the following morning. Since we have to be at the airport by 5am, we were thinking of storing our luggage at the Stazione Termini and taking a late train out to the airport. However, I read that the last train leaves about 10:30. Is there a later bus? What about other ideas for storing luggage and things to do in Rome after dark?

We have had early morning flights over the years and we have always taken a room at an Airport Hotel. At least you get some sleep and you haven't far to go to check in.

I couldn't think of anything worse than being up all night before a long flight home, though our flights are so much longer than yours - 24 hours plus!

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

I agree with Jennie. There is only 1 hotel at the Rome Airport, and its a very nice Hilton. The bonus is that this hotel is actually connected to the terminal buildings. You simply exit the hotel on the ground floor, walk about 10 feet to an outdoor elevator tower, take the elevator to the 2nd floor (it is the only other floor) and you are in the corridor which goes through a parking garage right into the heart of the airport. It still is a good hike and you will need to figure about 15 min for the trek. There are usually some luggage trollys sitting at the elevator area (its a good idea, the night before, to ask the bellman to grab you a luggage trolly and hold it for the morning).

Hank

Hank:
Came looking for you. My review of the TransAtlantic Crossing is on the Cunard board around April First. It was certainly one of the most relaxing cruises we have ever done.
Flick (used to FlRick, long story...)

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Oh my! Its FLrick or is it Mrs Flrick. Either way, its good to keep in touch. Your crossing sounds wonderful, and one of these days we are going to have to work that into a visit to England. You upcoming river cruise sounds fantastic and I will look forward to hearing your review. We have only done the Rhine from Koblenz up to Koln and would like to better explore those large European rivers. Our next trip will be 30 day Asian trip (late June) which will include a 16 day cruise on the smallish Pacific Princess. I sure wish we could get to Bangkok from the US on a comfortable cruise ship (like the QM2) rather than the darned airlines.

Hank

Hank you could always use the Star Clipper to get to Thailand. Our flight back from Singapore after being stranded in Bangkok was for only 33 hours and it was always Tuesday. Longest Tuesday I've ever had! And yes it's Mr. FlRick, now known as Flick.

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

The Star Clipper! hmmm. I guess if we could get that ship from the West Coast, we might make it to Bangkok by Christmas. Geez, now that does sound like a nice trip after retirement [smile]. And you are right about it being a long day! We are flying from Harrisburg to Chicago, 2 hours stop over, than to Tokyo, 2 hours stop over, than on to Bangkok. But, if all goes well its only 25 hours from here to there!

Hank

Archived