Princess or Celebrity?

jcastro1202

My fiance and I are having a hard time choosing which cruise to take for our honeymoon. We have two girls (ages 10 and 4), but have never cruised without them. We want our honeymoon to be romantic and relaxing. We are looking at the Solstice departing March 21st out of Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan, St. Kitts, and St. Marteen and Caribbean Princess departing the same day out of Ft. Lauderdale to Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Marteen and Grand Turk (we are currently booked on this, because we got a good deal). Both itineraries have the place we both want to visit, which is St. Marteen and my fiance really wants to go to San Juan. We saw a special that Celebrity is having if we book by Friday that would put the Solstice at the same price range as the Caribbean Princess, which means that price is not an issue. Because of the ports we are leaning more towards the Soltice but I am concerned that the ship is taylored for the older crowd and we'd be bored (we're 26 &29).

Anybody cruised both cruiselines? If so, what are your thoughts? The Soltice looks beautiful! I'm also concerned that the onboard costs will be higher than Princess...am I correct to assume this? What are some of the prices onboard; specialty dining, soda cards, spa treatments, drinks?

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

I have!

While I liked the Carib Princess, you will have a more adult, more romantic time on Celebrity. Princess to me was a more family ship, although to be honest you will not go wrong with either one.

If you have to decide by Friday, I say go Celebrity. Save Princess for when you take the kids.

One opinion. Disclaimer: I never travelled on the Solstice which is supposedly NICER than the Celebrity ships I travel on.

I would choose Celebrity........with or without the kids. My husband and I love Celebrity!!!! My son has been on several trips with us, since he was 4 years old, and love the kids camp. The on-board expenses should not be any higher than Princess.

we sailed the Solstice in Jan and the Caribbean Princess in September

Celebrity is a 'cut above"

main objection we have to the CB is the ratio of pax to space----it's so damn crowded--------and disembarking is a disaster at each port because of it

also Princess does not have butlers----we enjoy that extra service

if you go on the CB make sure you dine at Sabatinis specialty restaurant

on Solstice our favourite is the Tuscan Grille

Really though----you can't go wrong on either ship----cruising is wonderful

enjoy

I've sailed on both of these ships and this one is not even close -- the Solstice class of ships could be the best bang for the buck at sea. The Caribbean Princess has great entertainment and very nice deck spaces, but the Solstice has much better food, great alternative restaurants and way better cabins.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kel:)

I am going to echo a little of what tteettimes wrote:

Those Princess ships are far too crowded...Well over 3,000 passengers (the oft-cited 3,100 is just double capacity...the actual full capacity of that ship is 3,622 with third and fourth berts filled...and they do fill them)...on a 113,000 gross ton ship...

The Solstice will have less than 3,000 on a 122,000 gross ton ship...

Celebrity ships are simply roomier and better designed...

We've cruised both cruise lines (as well as Royal Caribbean, Oceania, Carnival, NCL and the now-defunct Premier)...We were on the Sapphire Princess over this past New Years...

Among the things we noticed, in addition to the general overcrowding, is that the showroom was built WAY TOO SMALL for the ship--capacity of less than 900...with over 3,000 passengers...and some days there was only ONE show! You had to show up way early to get a seat and people were sitting in the aisles and standing in the back...You just don't see that on Celebrity...

I am not in a hurry to go back to Princess...

Celebrity is always my first choice for cruises--whether I'm taking kids or not...and there are a few other cruise lines I will look at before I consider Princess again...

I hope that you posted this on the Princess boards also, in order to get a more balanced perspective.

On the face of it, I would pick Solstice, because I prefer Celebrity:however, we are in our 60s, not our 20s. We have sailed the Caribbean Princess' sisters, Crown & Emerald, & while they are beautiful, they do seem more crowded than Celebrity ships. While I agree that the theaters on Princess are too small, there are other venues for entertainment on Princess, from lounge acts to Karaoke, while X's entertainment is not as varied.

I think that you will enjoy either line, with Princess having slightly younger passengers, if that means much to you.

Anyway, you're on your honeymoon, so what's not to like??!!!!!

Have a GREAT time!!

Where did you see a special on this 3/21 sailing? I'm looking at that very same trip. Thanks!

I made up my mind...I booked Celebrity. I got this special through Cru Con Cruise Outlets. I received the original notice on Travelzoo.com. They have balconies for $949! Can't beat that!

Thanks everyone for all of you input. Now I have to switch my cruise research over from Princess to Celebrity. I have lots of research to do since I am not too familiar with Celebrity Cruise Lines, but I'm sure all of you will be a great help throughout the next couple of months.

Archived