Disappointing experience (last sailing of the Holiday) - Got a response from Carnival

Fat Boy

Hey folks,

I took the family on the last sailing of the Holiday. I was disappointed in how they chose to send off the ship and about some fake pictures I purchased (here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1089024). Someone suggested I write a letter to Carnival. I did (submitted via their website), and I'm posting the letter and Carnival's response here in a new thread because it relates to more than the pictures referenced in the other thread. I thought some folks here might be interested.

By the way... The food, service, and entertainment were not quite as good as the last time I sailed on the Holiday, but still good. Certainly nothing to complain about. I think the crew were just distracted or maybe a little anxious.

I sent a similar letter to John Heald first, but it never got published on the blog or got a response. I know this isn't his doing, but I thought maybe he'd have some thoughts on it.

The letter to Carnival

Hello,

My wife, 4 children, and I sailed the "last holiday" aboard the Holiday last week (November 2nd sailing - booking #s XXXXX and XXXXXX). After that experience, I'm glad Carnival chose to refurbish the Fantasy class ships, because you sure don't do retirements very well. I am incredibly disappointed in the way Carnival chose to send off the ship that has sailed under your flag longer than any other.

First we were told John Heald would be onboard, but that didn't work out. With the homecoming of the Dream, I guess that's understandable. Then our cruise director, Tori, cut and run at Calica. I'm sure she had a good reason, but it felt like she was abandoning the ship - and us - in it's final hour. My kids wondered what happened to the "Woo-Hoo"... Their first cruise had also been with Tori, and they always returned the "Woo-Hoo".

There were no past guest pins available - even for purchase. There wasn't a single Holiday souvenir left - key chain, shot glass, spoons, snow globe, fridge magnet - nothing.

There were a few "Holiday - Final Voyage" photos for sale, but many weren't even of the Holiday! There were a number pictures with a FANTASY-class ship that they PHOTO-SHOPPED the "Holiday" moniker on! I know Carnival has to make a buck, but that's just low! I'm not sure which upsets me more... That you sold us fakes, or that I actually bought THREE of them - one "Final Voyage" photo and two postcards...

Most disappointing is that there was no fanfare at all. There was no retirement party... No final send off from Cozumel or Calica (which I thought was tradition in the maritime world). The whole cruise was very somber, lacking the usual exuberance and energy of all our other Carnival cruises. It bordered on depressing.

I certainly wasn't alone in feeling this way. I was joined onboard by a lot of other frequent cruisers who had similar misgivings. To the bean counters, maybe this was just another cruise, but to a lot of us, this was a cause for celebration and reflection. It's a shame Carnival felt differently.

I won't let this one disappointment sour me on Carnival... I've already got two cruises booked for 2010 (five cabins), with plans to book at least two more cruises in the spring. I'm sure they'll all be great, and I'll give Carnival the benefit of the doubt that this just fell under the radar because of the fanfare over the Dream. Still, I hope you don't retire any more ships for a good long while...

Best Regards,

Fat Boy

P.S. I would like to send in copies of the "limited edition" photos of the Carnival Holisy/Fantaday that were sold at the photo booth onboard. If you ever get to the bottom of who created them or why they were for sale, I'd much appreciate an explanation. Also, if you have any ACTUAL pictures or postcards of the Holiday, or maybe a pin/shot glass/magnet I'd love to have some.

The e-mail response from Carnival

Thanks for your email.

At Carnival, our aim is to provide our guests with a fun filled and memorable vacation. We strive for a great product and excellent service. Given how important vacations are, we would have wanted this to be your impression of us. We are so sorry this was not the case on your cruise.

Your feed back is important to us. Thank you for sharing them with us.

You're right; the ship pins are no longer part of our Past Guest Program. They are very popular and quite a collector's item. In the future, you'll find them available in the gift shop.

Good news! I've been able to locate a few postcards and picture of the CARNIVAL HOLIDAY. I'll get them in the mail to you next week.

Thanks for choosing Carnival. We look forward to welcoming you back on board another Fun Ship soon.

Sincerely,

Guest Care Department

guestcare@carnival.com

It's a 50/50 mix of form letter and personalized response. I don't mind. I'm just happy they read it, responded, and that I'm getting the pictures I thought I was getting the first go 'round.

A do-over on the retirement festivities, would be nice, but it's just not in the cards...

I didn't post to complain... Just to share.

wow, that was a lame response. And I was on the Holiday 10/24 and we had a very similar experience. it was a good cruise (any cruise is good to me) but wan't the "sparkle" that I had grew to love with that particular ship. I too was very disappointed with the lack of the pins. they said they no longer had them. I was not aware that they would not be given at all any longer. :(

but, i'm going to try to fall in love with another carnival ship soon :)

and it seemed well attended.. I too was dissappointed at the utter lack of proper and a more soulful recognition of the final Voayage..Pins I have, others do not, pics I have, signed by several Capts and favoured staff members, Some Logo purchases from the gift store. Since I had cruzed 25 times since Fall'06, I had many opportunities to buy what ever..I did get the postcard collection, a cap, and a Tee. Some of us met on the aft Lido for our own salute to the lady..I lead a toast in Italian, another toast at 1 min til midnight, and tosses some champagne(from my glass only) into the sea. I had been told the Celebration went out with a bang..only to find my Holiday went out with not even as much as a whimper. verrrrry dissapointed..

I sent a similar letter to John Heald first, but it never got published on the blog or got a response. I know this isn't his doing, but I thought maybe he'd have some thoughts on it.

Keep watching the blog. When I have posted a comment for his response, it hasn't shown up in the regular comments below. Instead, it shows up in his question/answer section. As hard as he tries, it usually takes a while for him to get to your question- but if it actually made it to him, he will respond.

Well, Carnival did indeed send me some new pictures, but they were copies of the SAME FAKES they sold on the ship! I know the folks in the office may not get out on the ships all that often, but when you're accused of selling fake pictures, maybe you'd take time to make sure the replacements you're sending out aren't ALSO wrong...

I find cruiseline self-merchandising is rather pathetic. My wife and myself visit Walt Disney World rather often which has no problem in putting the label of Walt Disney World/particular Disney resort etc on anything that they think they can sell. My wife is not into the details of merchandising and is just a casual Disney fan, but even she notices the lack of items for sale that cruise ship specific or even cruise line specific as compared to Disney World.

This is not limited to Carnival, and in fact we first noticed it on RCCL and then Princess.

Based on the copyright notification, my guess that the picture has been used before on postcards sans 'final cruise' label. No had complained before. Excuse, no, but your only recourse would be to request the refund of the purchase price of the pictures.

Well, Carnival did indeed send me some new pictures, but they were copies of the SAME FAKES they sold on the ship! I know the folks in the office may not get out on the ships all that often, but when you're accused of selling fake pictures, maybe you'd take time to make sure the replacements you're sending out aren't ALSO wrong...

That is disappointing I'm sure.. and Carnival's response is definitely less than stellar. Lots of folks seem to be getting that lately.

I prefer my own pictures of the ships, anyway. With all the photo shops online, I bet you could make your own.. or come up with a way to honor the Holiday in your own way.

Dear all,

I did my homework on this one. I also was able to get my hands on the Limited Edition Last Call Holiday Poster. Obviously the Name was removed from the front of the bow and behind the bridge. It was probably the only High Res file on board that old rusty bucket.

But after looking at a Post Card with a magnifing lens. It's the Actual Holiday.

You can tell at the back end towards the buttom the name Holiday shows but very lightly.

Also the Stabalizers on the side of the ship. You'll see it on the back end all the way at the bottum. It's the only ship that came with Stabalizers. The Celebration , Jubilee and the rest of the fleet do not have them.

See attached pic's. I even attached the original post card which was used for the Last call Poster.

th_IMG_0452.jpg

th_IMG_0457.jpg

th_IMG_0458.jpg

th_IMG_0453.jpg

th_IMG_0455.jpg

I really don't think you should have expected anything special for the final voyage. If they did not advertise doing something, there is no reason they would in my view.

The CD leaving mid-cruise is more of a concern. Was there a replacement, or did the assistant get promoted?

As for the postings about photos and QBNKID I am a little confused. To the novice, the sponsons (sp ?) at the stern and the lack of "Penthouse Suites" right under the red line on the hull would be the easiest way to tell that it is not a Fantasy class ship. They all do look somewhat alike. Tropical, Holiday, Celebration, Juiblee, all 8 Fantasy Class ships.

I really hope the O.P. and others did not pay extra for "The last Voyage". :confused:

So if Carnival did not hype it as such then to them it was just another cruise. ;)

I know people who have paid surcharges to go on last cruises and unless people go with light hearted openmindedness they are very often let down by it. Better to avoid first and last voyages. :D

I will always fondly remember my one short trip on the Holiday in 1995.:rolleyes: I wanted to go back but feared disapointment, after adding in for airfare from the west coast.

Carnival cares about its future and not it's past. A friend of mine saved the wheel from the Bridge on the Mardi Grass, from the scrappers in India and Carnival could not be bothered to buy it from him for a reasonable price... google Peter Knego

Tom in Long Beach

I really don't think you should have expected anything special for the final voyage. If they did not advertise doing something, there is no reason they would in my view.

The CD leaving mid-cruise is more of a concern. Was there a replacement, or did the assistant get promoted?

Actually.. .Tory opted to stay in the USA after her debark..her type VISA to do this rather than retun to UK did not allow her to work after the last port (Calica)where she signed off. A US thingy rule..( kinda related to the JONES ACT sort of) So she appointed Laura, a new Hostess to fill in in her absence..she was out and about.... Tory is enjoying California as we speak she tells me this past week.

Hey folks,

I took the family on the last sailing of the Holiday. I was disappointed in how they chose to send off the ship and about some fake pictures I purchased (here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1089024). Someone suggested I write a letter to Carnival. I did (submitted via their website), and I'm posting the letter and Carnival's response here in a new thread because it relates to more than the pictures referenced in the other thread. I thought some folks here might be interested.

By the way... The food, service, and entertainment were not quite as good as the last time I sailed on the Holiday, but still good. Certainly nothing to complain about. I think the crew were just distracted or maybe a little anxious.

Actually your letter and his reply is posted on his blog thingy today.

Ken and Jackie Asked:

Hello John (please reply if you like),

I’m glad Carnival chose to refurbish the Fantasy class ships, because you sure don’t do retirements very well. I just got home from “celebrating” the last holiday of the Holiday. I was incredibly disappointed in the way you and Carnival chose to send off the ship that has sailed under your flag longer than any other and helped build the Carnival we know today.

First we were told you’d be joining us, but that didn’t work out what with the big plans for Dream. Disappointing, but understandable. Then our cruise director, Tori, cut and run at Calica. I’m sure she had a good reason, but it felt a little like she was abandoning ship. My kids wondered what happened to the “Woo-Hoo” (they had sailed the Holiday with Tori before and always returned the Woo-Hoo). There were no past guest pins available – even for purchase. There wasn’t a single Holiday souvenir left – key chain, shot glass, spoon, snow globe, fridge magnet – nothing.

There were a few “Holiday’s Final Voyage” photos for sale, including a number of pictures and postcards of a FANTASY-class ship that they PHOTO-SHOPPED the “Holiday” moniker on! I know Carnival has to make a buck, but that’s just low! I’m not sure which upsets me more… That Carnival thinks so little of us that they intentionally sold us fakes, or that I actually bought a few of them…

Most disappointing is that there was no fanfare at all. There was no retirement party… No final send off from Cozumel or Calica (which I thought was tradition in the maritime world). The whole cruise was very somber… Lacking the usual exuberance and energy… Bordering on depressing.

I certainly wasn’t the only person who felt this way. I spoke with a lot of frequent cruisers who had similar observations. To the bean counters, maybe this was just another cruise, but to a lot of us, this was a cause for celebration and reflection. It’s a shame Carnival felt differently.

I’ve already got two more Carnival cruises booked. I’m sure they’ll be great, and I’ll give Carnival the benefit of the doubt that this just fell under the radar because of the fanfare over the Dream.

Best Regards,

Ken, Jackie, and kids

P.S. Want to buy a limited edition photo of the Carnival Fantaday? Holisy?

John Says:

Hello Ken and Jackie

I just wanted to say that I have to agree with you on everything you said. The Holiday was my first ever ship and it’s where I discovered that I was the worst bar waiter in the world and it’s where I discovered that I wanted to have that microphone thingy and do what the Cruise Directors were doing. It would have been nice to have sent her away with a bit of a bang but I guess it wasn’t to be. The gift shops had obviously sold out of merchandise during previous cruises and that’s a real shame. As for the photos……………well…………..this is news to me so I have passed this onto one of our VP’s for his comments. Please accept my apologies for not being there as I was as you said on your Carnival Dream although I have no idea what happened to Tory…………..I will check things out though.

Please again accept my apologies that the final cruise of the Holiday was not one full of pomp and circumstance, I guess we were all too busy concentrating on the future with your Carnival Dream.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and let me know if you make some money on EBay with your photos of Carnival Fantaday!

Best wishes to all

John

Hey folks,

The letter to Carnival

Hello,

My wife, 4 children, and I sailed the "last holiday" aboard the Holiday last week (November 2nd sailing - booking #s XXXXX and XXXXXX). After that experience, I'm glad Carnival chose to refurbish the Fantasy class ships, because you sure don't do retirements very well. I am incredibly disappointed in the way Carnival chose to send off the ship that has sailed under your flag longer than any other.

First we were told John Heald would be onboard, but that didn't work out. With the homecoming of the Dream, I guess that's understandable. Then our cruise director, Tori, cut and run at Calica. I'm sure she had a good reason, but it felt like she was abandoning the ship - and us - in it's final hour. My kids wondered what happened to the "Woo-Hoo"... Their first cruise had also been with Tori, and they always returned the "Woo-Hoo".

There were no past guest pins available - even for purchase. There wasn't a single Holiday souvenir left - key chain, shot glass, spoons, snow globe, fridge magnet - nothing.

There were a few "Holiday - Final Voyage" photos for sale, but many weren't even of the Holiday! There were a number pictures with a FANTASY-class ship that they PHOTO-SHOPPED the "Holiday" moniker on! I know Carnival has to make a buck, but that's just low! I'm not sure which upsets me more... That you sold us fakes, or that I actually bought THREE of them - one "Final Voyage" photo and two postcards...

Most disappointing is that there was no fanfare at all. There was no retirement party... No final send off from Cozumel or Calica (which I thought was tradition in the maritime world). The whole cruise was very somber, lacking the usual exuberance and energy of all our other Carnival cruises. It bordered on depressing.

I certainly wasn't alone in feeling this way. I was joined onboard by a lot of other frequent cruisers who had similar misgivings. To the bean counters, maybe this was just another cruise, but to a lot of us, this was a cause for celebration and reflection. It's a shame Carnival felt differently.

I won't let this one disappointment sour me on Carnival... I've already got two cruises booked for 2010 (five cabins), with plans to book at least two more cruises in the spring. I'm sure they'll all be great, and I'll give Carnival the benefit of the doubt that this just fell under the radar because of the fanfare over the Dream. Still, I hope you don't retire any more ships for a good long while...

Best Regards,

Fat Boy

P.S. I would like to send in copies of the "limited edition" photos of the Carnival Holisy/Fantaday that were sold at the photo booth onboard. If you ever get to the bottom of who created them or why they were for sale, I'd much appreciate an explanation. Also, if you have any ACTUAL pictures or postcards of the Holiday, or maybe a pin/shot glass/magnet I'd love to have some.

The e-mail response from Carnival

Thanks for your email.

At Carnival, our aim is to provide our guests with a fun filled and memorable vacation. We strive for a great product and excellent service. Given how important vacations are, we would have wanted this to be your impression of us. We are so sorry this was not the case on your cruise.

Your feed back is important to us. Thank you for sharing them with us.

You're right; the ship pins are no longer part of our Past Guest Program. They are very popular and quite a collector's item. In the future, you'll find them available in the gift shop.

Good news! I've been able to locate a few postcards and picture of the CARNIVAL HOLIDAY. I'll get them in the mail to you next week.

Thanks for choosing Carnival. We look forward to welcoming you back on board another Fun Ship soon.

Sincerely,

Guest Care Department

guestcare@carnival.com

Your letter was answered by John Heald. He was sending it up the ladder to see what they could do for you. I will look back and find which day your letter was posted. I read his blog every day.

I found your letter, it was posted yesterday (11/24) here it is.

Ken and Jackie Asked:

Hello John (please reply if you like),

I’m glad Carnival chose to refurbish the Fantasy class ships, because you sure don’t do retirements very well. I just got home from “celebrating” the last holiday of the Holiday. I was incredibly disappointed in the way you and Carnival chose to send off the ship that has sailed under your flag longer than any other and helped build the Carnival we know today.

First we were told you’d be joining us, but that didn’t work out what with the big plans for Dream. Disappointing, but understandable. Then our cruise director, Tori, cut and run at Calica. I’m sure she had a good reason, but it felt a little like she was abandoning ship. My kids wondered what happened to the “Woo-Hoo” (they had sailed the Holiday with Tori before and always returned the Woo-Hoo). There were no past guest pins available – even for purchase. There wasn’t a single Holiday souvenir left – key chain, shot glass, spoon, snow globe, fridge magnet – nothing.

There were a few “Holiday’s Final Voyage” photos for sale, including a number of pictures and postcards of a FANTASY-class ship that they PHOTO-SHOPPED the “Holiday” moniker on! I know Carnival has to make a buck, but that’s just low! I’m not sure which upsets me more… That Carnival thinks so little of us that they intentionally sold us fakes, or that I actually bought a few of them…

Most disappointing is that there was no fanfare at all. There was no retirement party… No final send off from Cozumel or Calica (which I thought was tradition in the maritime world). The whole cruise was very somber… Lacking the usual exuberance and energy… Bordering on depressing.

I certainly wasn’t the only person who felt this way. I spoke with a lot of frequent cruisers who had similar observations. To the bean counters, maybe this was just another cruise, but to a lot of us, this was a cause for celebration and reflection. It’s a shame Carnival felt differently.

I’ve already got two more Carnival cruises booked. I’m sure they’ll be great, and I’ll give Carnival the benefit of the doubt that this just fell under the radar because of the fanfare over the Dream.

Best Regards,

Ken, Jackie, and kids

P.S. Want to buy a limited edition photo of the Carnival Fantaday? Holisy?

John Says:

Hello Ken and Jackie,

I just wanted to say that I have to agree with you on everything you said. The Holiday was my first ever ship and it’s where I discovered that I was the worst bar waiter in the world and it’s where I discovered that I wanted to have that microphone thingy and do what the Cruise Directors were doing. It would have been nice to have sent her away with a bit of a bang but I guess it wasn’t to be. The gift shops had obviously sold out of merchandise during previous cruises and that’s a real shame. As for the photos……………well…………..this is news to me so I have passed this onto one of our VP’s for his comments. Please accept my apologies for not being there as I was as you said on your Carnival Dream although I have no idea what happened to Tory…………..I will check things out though.

Please again accept my apologies that the final cruise of the Holiday was not one full of pomp and circumstance, I guess we were all too busy concentrating on the future with your Carnival Dream.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and let me know if you make some money on EBay with your photos of Carnival Fantaday!

Best wishes to all,

John

I know that John is about 3 weeks behind in answering his emails, but he will answer them if you put "Please Reply", which you did.

Archived