Sensation Family of 5

Bigboy1978

Just wondering if anyone can give my some advice pro and con for a family cruise. DW, DD (13), DS (11), DS (8) and myself. I am looking at a 4 day on Sensation in late August to Bahamas. According to the Carnival website we can get a room to accommodate all 5 of us. Has anyone ever attempted such a crazy idea? With the beds together and the 2 pullmans and the roll in bed can you actually move or are we going to be stepping on each other to get the washroom. This will be the first cruise for the kids and just the third for DW and I. Thanks for all of your insight ahead of time.

Just wondering if anyone can give my some advice pro and con for a family cruise. DW, DD (13), DS (11), DS (8) and myself. I am looking at a 4 day on Sensation in late August to Bahamas. According to the Carnival website we can get a room to accommodate all 5 of us. Has anyone ever attempted such a crazy idea? With the beds together and the 2 pullmans and the roll in bed can you actually move or are we going to be stepping on each other to get the washroom. This will be the first cruise for the kids and just the third for DW and I. Thanks for all of your insight ahead of time.

With the bunks down and the rollaway opened at bedtime and when you get up in the AM, it's gonna be CROWDED. After the room is made-up in the AM it won't be bad. ken

Might I suggest two adjoining staterooms ? Keep the kids in one and you and the wife in the other .

Five in one stateroom even if only 4 days , would IMO , truly put a damper on things . Way to tight , Sardines come to mind .

They have adjoining rooms on every deck that has cabins .

We've done quads on the Paradise, one of Sensation's sister ships.

I would suggest to you to keep the lower beds apart. (One time we had a triple with a rollaway and didn't think to keep the beds apart.) The cabin will have alot more usuable room and not feel so crowded. Also, the rollaway can be stored under a bed to get it out of the way for the day. Unfortunately that only leaves one bed for under-the-bed storage.

The cabins hold four nicely because there seems to be four of everything- drawers, shelves and shelves in the medicine cabinet. This is the one time I would recommend an over-the-door shoe holder (or two) for all the little stuff you will need. I have seen some at our local Dollar Tree recently.

Pack lightly.

If your a cheapskate like me you can do it! But my kids are 8, 6, 5. the 2 smallest actually ended up sharing a pullman bed. Its a crowded routine in the morning/evening for cloths changing. But hey in some countries it'd still be considered living the high life with twice that many in that room ;)

Indoor plumbing to boot!

Seriously you'll find that you won't spend that much time in your rooms during the day with that many in there or at least you'll be taking shifts.

We've done a 4 day on the Elation with 5 in a room. Yeah, it was "cozy," but WOW was it affordable!!! Instead of paying 4 full fares and one discounted, which you would do in adjoining rooms, we paid 2 full fares and 3 discounted ones!

I guess it all depends upon what you want. Personally I'd do it again for a shorter cruise, but not for a 7 day. We ended up using the room for only sleeping or down time, but do you really want to spend a ton of time in your room on such a short cruise anyway? I personally don't. :p Probably the biggest stress about it was getting ready for formal night. If we do it again I'll be smarter about it and get the boys ready first and send them out of the room to go wander while we girls get ready! LOL

In short, it can be done and it's fine. Really! It's 4 days, you save a ton of money (that you can use to spend in other ways on your cruise!!!) and HEY, above all you're on a cruise with your family!!!

We did 5 to a cabin on NCL Sky this past August. We had DS(5), DD(2) and we brought our favorite niece(12). It was tight, but we managed. Your kids are older, so it would be tighter. Two cabins is the way to go. Even a suite may be tight. If you can't get two adjoining(shared door) cabins and price is an issue. Take an OV and and inside opposite each other. It would be worth it.

I can certainly relate, having 3 children as well. We have only cruised one time with them, but I opted to have adjoining cabins.

It may only be a 4 night cruise, but don't you want a little "privacy"? It is a vacation. And I don't know about your daughter, but between my daughter and myself, we couldn't be sharing one bathroom with 3 guys!! No way! Getting everyone ready in the morning with only 1 bathroom is going to be a challenge.

I'd really recommend 2 adjoining cabins.

We did it in 2005 for a five day. My husband and I and our 3 boys who were 18,12 and 7. Yes, it was crowded but you are only there to sleep and change clothes so it was doable. Plus, we saved quite a bit expense by only booking one room. And with my boys, didn't have to worry about them hogging the bathroom. If money is an issue, then book the one room and use the money you saved on something that really matters on your vacation, not just more space.:)

Archived