Westgate Hotel- required valet parking

gargoyle999

I'm staying at the Westgate in San Diego for one night pre-cruise next week. They do not have self parking so I have to use the $28/night valet. My question is would you tip the valet when you arrive and when they bring the car back when you are leaving?

I don't use valet parking so I'm not sure how tipping works especially when it's the only option.

I would tip a few $$s when you get your car back BUT

WHY are you parking a car at the hotel for only ONE night before the cruise?? Why don't you just give the rental car back and take the very short taxi(less than 2miles) to the pier???:confused:

What are you using the rental car for in town??

Perhaps you don't need it??

WHY are you parking a car at the hotel for only ONE night before the cruise??

Originally I wasn't going to get a car. But then I decided that since we are going to be back in San Diego in April for our Spirit cruise to Hawaii I would get a membership to the San Diego Zoo. We are arriving two days early in April and we will go back to the zoo and possibly the Wild Animal Park. I figured I'd rather go to the zoo for a few hours this trip than just sit around at the port waiting to board.

So we are going to get up early, go to breakfast then go to the zoo for about 4 hours. Then stop to get some "beverages" before returning the car and heading to the port. Also, we are going to stop for dinner after our flight arrives before going to the hotel.

I wouldn't rent a car. You can easily take a cab or even a city bus from the Westgate to the Zoo, and it is also an easy walk to the Gaslamp Quarter (or a trolley ride to Old Town or Little Italy) for dinner. If you are going to the Wild Animal Park it might be worthwhile to get rent a car, but otherwise I would not bother, and it would spare you the expense of parking as well.

I wouldn't rent a car

We are only going to the zoo this trip since we'll only have about 4 hours before we need to head to the port. But I think the issue then becomes our luggage. We will be leaving the hotel around 6:45am to head to breakfast. From there going to the zoo. I don't think the lockers at the zoo will be big enough! :)

Then why don't you just leave your luggage with the Bell Captain at the Westgate, go and do your thing at the zoo and then go back to the Westgate and pick up your luggage. You might even consider taking a cab back from the zoo, having him wait at the Westgate while you get your luggage and then have the cab drop you at the cruise terminal:)

I completely agree with the advice to leave your bags at your hotel!! The zoo is barely 2miles from the Westgate so a bus or even a taxi is quite easy in both directions!

The Wild Animal Park is another story. IF you are going there you WILL need the car as it is about 40min.NE of downtown.

Or...park your car at the port lot, it's $15 a night and a very short walk from the Westgate, probably 5-10 minutes. The lot is gated, you can leave your luggage overnight and simply take along what you need for the morning. The Westgate did supply robes, so leave those in the luggage.

You will love the Westgate, we stayed there twice this year. Lovely rooms, wonderful service. We got it on Priceline for $75 per night :)

Only you can decide if it's all worth it, the convenience of a car or the hassle of taxis and walking to the parking lot to save a few bucks.

Or...park your car at the port lot, it's $15 a night and a very short walk from the Westgate, probably 5-10 minutes. The lot is gated, you can leave your luggage overnight and simply take along what you need for the morning. The Westgate did supply robes, so leave those in the luggage.

You will love the Westgate, we stayed there twice this year. Lovely rooms, wonderful service. We got it on Priceline for $75 per night :)

Only you can decide if it's all worth it, the convenience of a car or the hassle of taxis and walking to the parking lot to save a few bucks.

We got it for $70! :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You have given me a lot to think about! :)

Archived