What is the best thing to do in st. Croix

flowergarden

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this will help you, but we're on a VERY port intensive cruise which includes St. Croix. We wanted something relaxing to do there. Through these boards, I discovered Sand Castle Beach and called them. For a $3 cab fare from the port and a $5 beach pass, we'll be spending the day at the Sand Castle beach resort. The beach pass gives you access to all the resort's amenities. You get a lounge chair, use of the pool and access to several restaurants and beach bars on site. It sounds great to us. We can make our own schedule - sleep in!!! - and it's an inexpensive and relaxing day. We're doing some heavy hiking, one full island tour and a snorkeling day on the other islands, so a relaxing day was in order!!

ENJOY!

We just spent a day at Sandcastle at the end of November. If it was a gay/lesbian resort, I never noticed. It was actually one of our favourite places. It was a very laid back, relaxing place with great food, views, and local beer (brewed in Maine ; )). The taxi ride was $6 for the 2 of us, make sure you get a coupon and keep it for the return trip. Also the chairs and umbrella were $25 with 2 rum punches.

Do an excursion, any excursion. There is nothing to do close to the port. The port only has vendors with tents selling t-shirts and costume jewlrey. Make the most out of your day and get away from the port or stay on the boat. This isn't a port for shopping or doing things on your own. Everything is far from the port. The town of Christensen is about a 45 min. ride. There isn't much to see/do when you get there.

• 2 weeks later...
It appears that Sand Castle is a gay and lesbian resort. We're looking for a hotel/resort that offers day passes that has a pool and Sand Castle fits the bill, but would like to hear from anyone who has been there who can describe the ambiance.

From what I'm reading, Sand Castle is gay friendly. Not exclusively a gay resort.

I just discovered today about Sand Castle being the Caribbean's #1 Gay-Friendly Resort! I had looked up their website. I'd looked at the photo gallery; just not the wedding photos! I wasn't planning a wedding, just a day at the beach.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I'm traveling with my adult daughter and she's cool with it too. We have a number of gay friends. I expect it to be a great day!

flowergarden - you can book something through the ship, or take a taxi and do something on your own. Depends on your interests... island tour, historical sites, beach, snorkeling, boating, fishing, parasailing, off-road type of tour...

cruisestitch - Sand Castle on the Beach is a gay friendly hotel and it is a straight friendly hotel too... all are welcome. Its a small casual beach front hotel, pool, restaurant.

--Islander

Archived