Helicopter Rescue On The Independence of the Seas!

Whilst we were on a recent sailing around the Canary Islands, we had three emergencies one of which was this helicopter rescue... I posted this not in anyway to glorify the situation but to make passengers aware how professional & wonderful the staff and crew were, shows they really care about you... Mark

I couldn't get the video to work, but I'd say that a helicopter has come out to at least 2 of our cruises so far. It's pretty common. And you will not hear of any update unless the patient releases it.

We had this same experience while sailing on the

Liberty of the Seas going to Eastern Caribbean. The Coast

Guard from San Juan actually flew several hundred miles north to

meet the ship. We watched from our balcony the helicopter arrive

with search light across the water and actually land on the

ship's heliport. The captain did not stop the ship, we kept moving

as he said it was easier for the copter to land. My DH was actually

walking by the lifts when the door opened and they rolled an elderly

gentlemen out and down the hallway with nurses and the doctor

alongside.

A terrible experience for the man and his family, but interesting

to see the whole process take place. Understand he was soon

transfered to Miami hospital, but I have no further details.

Carol

We had this same experience while sailing on the

Liberty of the Seas going to Eastern Caribbean. The Coast

Guard from San Juan actually flew several hundred miles north to

meet the ship. We watched from our balcony the helicopter arrive

with search light across the water and actually land on the

ship's heliport. The captain did not stop the ship, we kept moving

as he said it was easier for the copter to land. My DH was actually

walking by the lifts when the door opened and they rolled an elderly

gentlemen out and down the hallway with nurses and the doctor

alongside.

A terrible experience for the man and his family, but interesting

to see the whole process take place. Understand he was soon

transfered to Miami hospital, but I have no further details.

Carol

Hi Carol

I know we spoke to the captain when he visited the concierge lounge with his wife and was explaing how the timing has to be spot on with the leveling of the ship and the helicopter together, both parties were so clever in how they achieved this... mark

On our very first cruise, there was a Coast Guard Helicopter that flew out from New Orleans and lifted a man who suffered a heart attack. We were on the Rhapsody and helicopter didn't land but hoovered over the open deck above the pool deck. A member of the Coast Guard was sent down from the helicopter, than a basket, up went one of the nurses from the ship, than the basket with the man, and lastly the coast guard member. All the while the ship is still moving. The whole process was incrediable and professional by the Coast Guard and the Captain.

We were not allowed outside on either the pool deck or the deck above it however, we were allowed to watch from the Crown Lounge. We were told that the man had suffered a heart attack and kept informed more than I expected to include being told later in the cruise the man survived and had a good chance of recovery. And yes we were told it was a nurse from the ship and told the family had to stay on board till we arrived in Key West. Obviousily the patient and family agreed to informing the rest of the passengers.

While I would never wish for something like this to happen, and indeed glad the man was going to recover, it was by far the most remarkable, interesting, incrediable thing I have seen on a cruise or any vacation.

If it ever happens to me, fellow passengers can know about what's going on.

This happens more than you would think. It has happened on 3 of the cruises I have been on. I have done the Transatlantic twice and each time, someone had to be air lifted. The first time someone fell and hit there head during rough seas. The second a heart attack. Then returning from a round trip Hawaii cruise another heart attack after we had been at sea for 30 hours. The ship had to turn around and head back towards Hawaii. It took another 12 hours to get close enough to land to send the chopper. Each time we were told what was happening. But later updates were were few.

When we were on the Enchantment of the Seas a couple of years ago, the captain actually had a heart attack and was airlifted while we were tendered at Coco Cay. We were on the island and wondered why a helicopter kept circling around. Not only that but we had a passenger who had to be taken off so we turned around and went back to Nassau to drop him off to be hospitalized there. Then on to the rest of the cruise. The remaining two captains had the question and answer session with passengers the next day and were very open and up front about what was going on. They also reassured us that they had plenty of captains to run the ship.

On our very first cruise, there was a Coast Guard Helicopter that flew out from New Orleans and lifted a man who suffered a heart attack. We were on the Rhapsody and helicopter didn't land but hoovered over the open deck above the pool deck. A member of the Coast Guard was sent down from the helicopter, than a basket, up went one of the nurses from the ship, than the basket with the man, and lastly the coast guard member. All the while the ship is still moving. The whole process was incrediable and professional by the Coast Guard and the Captain.

We were not allowed outside on either the pool deck or the deck above it however, we were allowed to watch from the Crown Lounge. We were told that the man had suffered a heart attack and kept informed more than I expected to include being told later in the cruise the man survived and had a good chance of recovery. And yes we were told it was a nurse from the ship and told the family had to stay on board till we arrived in Key West. Obviousily the patient and family agreed to informing the rest of the passengers.

While I would never wish for something like this to happen, and indeed glad the man was going to recover, it was by far the most remarkable, interesting, incrediable thing I have seen on a cruise or any vacation.

If it ever happens to me, fellow passengers can know about what's going on.

This happened to us in August on the Granduer out of Baltimore.... we were in the Viking Lounge the first night when we came down the stairs and there were staff scrambling around everywhere.... we could not use the elevator. At first we thought someone jumped overboard because they had life jackets in hand... we went back to our room and I said to my husband...wonder if someone jumped?.... about 30 minutes later we heard the helicopter and it was hovering right in front of our window.... we went back up on deck and watched it hover for about an hour until they cleared the pool deck of the chairs, and watched as the basket came down.... picked up the passenger and someone climbed up the rope.... it was unbelievable...

this all happened around 3 in the morning, and hardly anyone on the ship actually knew what had happened except the few that were still awake.... we were late getting into Bermuda but we didn't care.... they did an awsome job of taking care of that family.... I would expect the same if it happened to one of my family.... We never really found out who they took or why...

This happens more than you would think. It has happened on 3 of the cruises I have been on. I have done the Transatlantic twice and each time, someone had to be air lifted. The first time someone fell and hit there head during rough seas. The second a heart attack. Then returning from a round trip Hawaii cruise another heart attack after we had been at sea for 30 hours. The ship had to turn around and head back towards Hawaii. It took another 12 hours to get close enough to land to send the chopper. Each time we were told what was happening. But later updates were were few.

Barry was looking at your signature, just how many cruises you been on ?... we have a long way to go before catch you up... mark

Archived