18 passengers of RCI and DCL robbed at gunpoint

flagger

Still think it's a good idea to go off the ship with your passport when it's not required?

The men tied up the Bahamian tour guide with the first group and ordered them to the ground before robbing them of money, passports, cell phones, credit cards and personal items.

That's not good. This is one reason not to take one's passport off the ship. I wonder if they took the seapass cards as well. Could make back onboard difficult.

Thank you, I've been screaming that to people for years!

As for having their seapass cards stolen, my guess is the security people would be a bit understanding if a good-sized group came back to the ship and said they wuz robbed. :)

wow..:eek:.......I've been to Nassau many times........never felt threatened.........Looks like it was on the Segway tour.......

did you read this comment someone posted under that article??

Some additional news

A shot was fired on the ground inches from the victims.

This is on a segway tour own by Carribean Segway Tours.

Royal Caribbean handled the situation badly compared to Disney as Disney sent a representative to look after their group while Royal Caribbean repeatedly said they will not be sending anyone to aid.

Still think it's a good idea to go off the ship with your passport when it's not required?

I believe there is a greater chance you get sick or encounter other cicumstances which forces you to fly back to your own country without being able to retrieve your passport on the ship.

I never bring my passport with me when I leave the ship. In fact, the only valuable item I ever bring with me is my camera and DH carries our credit card and MINIMAL cash. All of those things we would gladly part with for our safety. We can always cancel the credit card, $20 cash is no big deal, and cameras can be replaced.

This is a super scary situation. I am glad I have never experienced anything like this!

I went to Nassau in 2001 and even then it seemed pretty unsafe to me. People told us not to wander around at night even in groups. Plus, I have to say, I took a bus tour of Nassau and some of the houses honestly didn't even have walls, just kind of like, plywood leaning against each other. The poverty was really heartbreaking, especially when looking across from these 'shanty town' type houses and seeing a huge mansion for the American consulate or something - forget who they said lived there. This happening here doesn't really surprise me. Unfortunately, poverty begets crime.

I went to Nassau in 2001 and even then it seemed pretty unsafe to me. People told us not to wander around at night even in groups. Plus, I have to say, I took a bus tour of Nassau and some of the houses honestly didn't even have walls, just kind of like, plywood leaning against each other. The poverty was really heartbreaking, especially when looking across from these 'shanty town' type houses and seeing a huge mansion for the American consulate or something - forget who they said lived there. This happening here doesn't really surprise me. Unfortunately, poverty begets crime.

Oppertunity begets crime from pick pocket to white collar. More is lost and stolen from CEO of major corporation and even responsible for the downturn in a nation's economy. The poverty is heart breaking but having less doesn't mean you are less in moral fabric or charcter. If poverty begets crime, think about the world's population that lives in poverty. It surprise me because I know many extremly poor people who would rather die than take something they weren't entitled to. This incident is sad to read about and for the passenger involved. As disturbing as people loosing their homes due to crocked white collar mortgage lenders. Here is some of what you saw but I still enjoy, my other home, poor;)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559644941UvHHOC

Oppertunity begets crime from pick pocket to white collar. More is lost and stolen from CEO of major corporation and even responsible for the downturn in a nation's economy. The poverty is heart breaking but having less doesn't mean you are less in moral fabric or charcter. If poverty begets crime, think about the world's population that lives in poverty. It surprise me because I know many extremly poor people who would rather die than take something they weren't entitled to. Here is some of what you saw but I still enjoy, my other home;)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559644941UvHHOC

I definitely agree with you about white collar crime. Sadly a LOT of things beget crime! I was very poor as a child/teen - we didn't even have running water for a few years, carried buckets of water home, boiled them to use - you get the idea. All three of us sisters shared a room, our brother in the next and still our parents made our childhoods wonderful! We were poor in material things but very rich in love and family. Thaks to the church that gave us Christmas presents signed by Santa (we never knew) and to the Community foodbank for the canned food that helped feed us. My favorite memories are of us fishing together as a family - but the funny thing is we fished for our food because going to Shoprite was too damn expensive. I recall corn fritters and grits for dinner and we thought it was fun to do breakfast for supper - when it reality it was just cheaper. So I do understand poverty. I also knew many that I felt had very good morals that still swiped some bread/canned goods/fruit to feed THEIR families because they didn't catch any fish that day.:( Sometimes, poverty gets so heavy on your shoulders that you make a choice. And for some kids - taking the things you want/need seems to actually be an alternative. Poverty is cruel and sometimes it twists your logic - you can think that those people that seem so wealthy to you at the time (people like you and me on a cruise) have so much and give so little and you have nothing - taking the next step to crime sometimes seems logical when you feel so desperate.

I didn't mean to say everyone that is suffering from poverty has no morals - I just meant it is a challenge and sometimes crime seems to be an option to feed your family.

If poverty begets crime, think about the world's population that lives in poverty.

I usually agree with your posts, but am not tracking on this one. You mentioned big CEO's and white collar crime. That's all well and good, but violent crime does exist moreso in impoverished area. That's just fact.

I usually agree with your posts, but am not tracking on this one. You mentioned big CEO's and white collar crime. That's all well and good, but violent crime does exist moreso in impoverished area. That's just fact.

"Unfortunately, poverty begets crime"

Yes, but she did not say violent crime and they are a few who equates poverty to crime. I was responding to those words;)

Honestly I have seen the desperation traveling in the recent years. I am more cautious because I am preceived as the 'rich' American at time, well DH!

I definitely agree with you about white collar crime. Sadly a LOT of things beget crime! I was very poor as a child/teen - we didn't even have running water for a few years, carried buckets of water home, boiled them to use - you get the idea..

Wow, we could have grown up together:D. Here is my own small mindedness. I am still in shock when I read about true poverty in North America. The poor place I once called home is not the same today. There is a greater feel of desperation, so a greater need to be careful.

From the linked article:

Terry Miller, Executive Director of BASH*, said "no one was really injured" during the robbery.

*Bahamas Association for Social Health's (BASH) Earth Village was the site they were visiting at the time of the robbery.

This is a total lie. Perhaps none of the tourists were physically injured, but this guy appears to be trying to casually dismiss the incident as not a big deal! I guarantee you none of the robbery victims (who were forced to the ground by two shotgun-wielding cowards) would agree with this pathetic attempt at damage control.

I can't even begin to imagine trying to enjoy the rest of a cruise after this, or that any of these victims will ever set foot on The Bahamas again, for that matter!

Theron

Wow, we could have grown up together:D. Here is my own small mindedness. I am still in shock when I read about true poverty in North America. The poor place I once called home is not the same today. There is a greater feel of desperation, so a greater need to be careful.

Lol - I always love your posts - you are very insightful and I just feel that we've seen a lot of the same things!:o It was difficult because I grew up in one of the wealthiest counties in America and I felt soooo disassociated from my friends - we worried about losing our house, not having enough oil to heat us through the winter (thank God for the old fireplace) and being able to eat and still get my sister medicine (acute asthma). My friends were worried they wouldn't get a car for their 16th bday!:p I feel I'm a strong woman filled with humor and empathy and I'm happy for ALL of my experiences - good and bad. While we were always trying to get by we STILL would take in a baby squirrel whose mother got hit by a car and nurse them back to health, a baby bird abandoned or a kitten found wandering. My parents (still together after 44 years) taught us the true meaning of life and I've vowed to never forget it.:)

Call it a hunch but, I suspect the good will of the people living in Nassau will probably handle this internally. I'm sure most of those residents who enjoy and realize that tourism is their lively hood do NOT want a few rogue individuals ruining the flow of people there. I'd bet an arm that the locals will find and deal with them pretty swiftly, and inhumanely.. if they haven't already.

Just my 2 cents.

Too bad for the victims and I hope the cruise lines helped them cancel all their credit cards etc.Just another reason to skip a tired old port like Nassau. For DCL an overnight at Castaway Cay or RCCL a sea day. Cruise line would probably make more $$$ too.;)

What happened in Nassau could happen anywhere in the world. As sad as it is, that's just life. Why hurt the honest people of Nassau that depend on our dollars to feed and clothe their familes due to one or two's actions? I have been to Nassau many, many times and never felt in danger or threatened. Actually I feel that the city I live in is more dangerous that most Caribbean islands.

Lol - I always love your posts - you are very insightful and I just feel that we've seen a lot of the same things!:o It was difficult because I grew up in one of the wealthiest counties in America and I felt soooo disassociated from my friends - we worried about losing our house, not having enough oil to heat us through the winter (thank God for the old fireplace) and being able to eat and still get my sister medicine (acute asthma). My friends were worried they wouldn't get a car for their 16th bday!:p I feel I'm a strong woman filled with humor and empathy and I'm happy for ALL of my experiences - good and bad. While we were always trying to get by we STILL would take in a baby squirrel whose mother got hit by a car and nurse them back to health, a baby bird abandoned or a kitten found wandering. My parents (still together after 44 years) taught us the true meaning of life and I've vowed to never forget it.:)

You and your parents have more class than many I've met over the years. Your parents have taught you well.

There is an old saying....You can tell a lot about a person's character in the way they treat children and animals.

Archived