Thomson Destiny - Suite upgrade worth the price?

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to book a cruise for my Grandparents 50th wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve......I narrowed my choice down to Thomson or Ocean Village (as my grandparents are working class, informal) and I'm leaning towards Thomson at the moment.

One Itenerary that caught my eye was the Transatlantic Sunrise in April 2010.....a bit of Caribbean Cruising mixed with some sight-seeing round the Med.....plus a short flight home.

The thing is I really want to make their Anniversary special, so am thinking of splashing out on a Suite......but Thomson are charging a whopping £2000 supplement, per person!

This takes a reasonably priced cruise at £2,500, up to a seriously expensive £6,500!

Now this is out of my budget, but I'm prepared to do what's necesaary to make sure this is a wonderful trip for them, so if needs be, I will find the money somehow.

My question is....... is it really worth the extra cash? I mean I know that the Thomson Destiny standard rooms are very small....in fact from reviews I've read, this often seems to be one of the biggest complaints...... but £4000 does seem pretty steep!

Has anyone stayed in a suite? Is it really luxurious? Worth the extra money?

I definately don't want them to be cramped......and I do love the idea of them being able to sit and relax on their own private balcony.......but £4000 is a lot of money, and I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment.

Any thoughts??

I have been on the Ocean Village for a 22 day cruise starting in the Caribbean. A few stops at some great islands, then over the Atlantic to Madiera, then Gib through the med to Crete, finnishing of with a week cruising the med.

Fantastic.

The Ocean Village is a bigger ship than the Destiny with great sized cabins, and I would not see a need to get a suit.

The meals are all self service but, no complainet on the quality or quantity all was fantastic.

The entertainment was not always as good as the Thomson entertainment on Destiny, but still good, plus the bars serve just as good beer and spirits.

Overall I prefer the Thomson style for the great staff, food, entertainment, but if I were to do another transatlantic the ship i would pick over the Destiny would be Ocean Village.

For I have been on the Destiny, Celebration, Spirit twice with one booked for March.

The price for a transatlantic with OV is good.

Ron

That is nearly three times the price! We have done the transatlantic going to the Caribbean twice on her, once when she was Airtours Sunbird and then last year as Destiny. The cabins are small, but perfectly comfortable and clean. There is plenty of deck space to sit out on, no fighting for a sunbed/deck chair problems.

Why not put some extra money towards their on-board account rather than a suite? You could book them the all-inclusive drinks package (sometimes available free) and there will also be excursions, photos, and souvenir shopping ashore to pay for as well.

What a wonderfully generous gift! They will have a truly memorable trip.

Carol x

While a suite is nice on some ships I don't think it is worth it on Thomson. we tried it once.

There are many Transatlantic cruises coming to Europe and even the UK in April, who's prices could match Thomson/OV's

A grand Balcony on Costa or a mini-suite on Princess are special but, save your money just go for a Balcony cabin on one of the other lines and they will be well pleased.

Put the money saved into some OBC for them, perfick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived