Adventure Southern or Liberty Western??

sgriff17

My mom and I are looking to either sail on the Adventure doing a southern caribbean itinerary (Aruba, Curacao, Dominca, and St. Thomas) or the Liberty doing a western caribbean itinerary (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize). We have sailed similiar western routes several times in the past, so we wanted to try something different. We have also sailed the eastern caribbean route as well as taking a land based vacation in both St. Thomas and Aruba. We can get inside promenade cabins and airfare for about the same price (one leaves from San Juan, the other from Miami).

Which would you recommend?

Thank you!

Both ships are great, but, if you have never been south before, I would pick that in a heartbeat. The AOS is a beautiful ship with all kinds of things to do on board. The ports listed are great, and not nearly as crowded as the western Caribbean. I also love the cultural difference you find on this itinerary. Many guests on AOS are from Puerto Rico and bring a different vibe (some of the most funloving and affectionate people I have ever met!). Give AOS a shot, and book it!

If you are able, go down to Puerto Rico a few days early and it out.

Another vote for the southern route. Adventure is an awesome ship and the southern Caribbean is by far nicer and more diverse than the western route. Dominica is gorgeous. Very unspoiled and natural with rain forests and black sand beaches. If you've already been to St. Thomas, I'd recommend grabbing a taxi to Red Hook and taking the ferry over to St. John. It's my very favorite Caribbean island.

Since we are on the AOS in April, I'm a little biased - go AOS!!!

Actually hubby and I have done the Eastern, Western & Southern Caribbean. By far we loved the Southern the most. So many islands to see and so little time to see them. We will be going on the Aruba route in April and even though we've done the Southern before, we've never done any of these islands (except St. Thomas).

We're still relative newbies to cruising and still want to see and do it all! This next time we'll have our 2 boys with us and even though we could have taken them to places we'd seen before, I thought it might be fun for all of us to experience something new together.

Thanks everyone. That is what we were leaning to, but I was anxious to try out one of the newer mega ships.

We are looking at the last week in January 2010 as the prices right now are amazing.

Would you recommend a inside promenade room or the oceanview room? I normally don't like inside rooms as I love the natural sunlight, but I thought the promenade room be fun.

Thanks everyone. That is what we were leaning to, but I was anxious to try out one of the newer mega ships.

We are looking at the last week in January 2010 as the prices right now are amazing.

Would you recommend a inside promenade room or the oceanview room? I normally don't like inside rooms as I love the natural sunlight, but I thought the promenade room be fun.

Personally, I'm a balcony or better person because I like being able to sit outside and watch/listen to the water, drink my coffee in the AM and have a drink in the PM. We've had a balcony since our first cruise and I've been spoiled! It's also the reason we don't cruise that much! :D

I'd probably go for the Promenade cabin. On our Princess cruise, I saw an oceanview cabin on a lower level and got seasick just watching the ocean whiz by! But that's just me and it was on a low deck - it may not be as bad on a higher deck.

I have been on both ships and done both itineraries.

If you have been on both itineraries, I would chose the Liberty because I like the Freedom class ships better than voyager class. Since you have not been southern, I would take Adventure.

Tim

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but i have a ?? for Tim..

You said you preferred the Liberty, the freedom class ships.

I am looking at the Liberty for a western cruise. I was on the Mariner back in 2006. Could you tell me what you like better about the Liberty?

Thanks so much..

Bette

I would go with Adventure and the southern routes. In fact I have done just that three times. And it has been four Southern sailings if you count Serenade. I have had a hard time even considering a western or eastern sailing again after having tried the southern. However, I did book Independence's eastern route for next year just because I want to experience a Freedom class ship. But after that cruise I am heading back south!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but i have a ?? for Tim..

You said you preferred the Liberty, the freedom class ships.

I am looking at the Liberty for a western cruise. I was on the Mariner back in 2006. Could you tell me what you like better about the Liberty?

Thanks so much..

Bette

Bette

My reasoning is simple, Liberty is larger then Mariner. While I have never felt I had no room on Mariner, the extra space on Liberty is noticable. The layout is almost exactly the same on Liberty as Mariner EXCEPT for Cafe Promenade. They seperated the pizza from the CP, it is now in its own little area called Sorrentos. Sorrentos is located where the Cafe is on Mariner. The Cafe P is located toward the other end of the promenade, about where the logo shop is on Mariner. Since the promenade is longer, the logo shop is just past the Cafe.

This change definitely eased the crowding that was around the Cafe area.

I always said I would never sail the freedom class ships because they are so big (not any more with Oasis but was bigger than voyager class). After being on one, I much prefer them over the voyager class ship.

This all being said, we just got off Adventure in October after being on Liberty in May. I would go on a voyager class ship in a heartbeat but prefer the freedom class.

Hope I answered your question. If you have others please feel free to email me, my email is in my sig.

Tim

My family (including a 4 and 6yo) went on LOS in Feb'09 and had an amazing time, so much so that we're looking to book again for Feb'10. We're torn...the stops on the Southern cruise are much more appealing to us, but we enjoyed LOS so much...we hesitate to leave that class of ship. Any thoughts?

My family (including a 4 and 6yo) went on LOS in Feb'09 and had an amazing time, so much so that we're looking to book again for Feb'10. We're torn...the stops on the Southern cruise are much more appealing to us, but we enjoyed LOS so much...we hesitate to leave that class of ship. Any thoughts?

It depends, if what made Liberty so enjoyable for you was the H2O zone or the flowrider then you may be disappointed with Adventure. With the exception of those two things there is not much that you will find lacking on Adventure that you would have the use of on Liberty. The Freedom class ships (Liberty) are pretty much a stretched version of the Voyager class ships (Adventure). Now, if you are considering the southern Caribbean sailing on Serenade, realize that she is a Radiance class ship which is a quite different design from the Voyager and Freedom class ships so there are far more differences between Serenade and Liberty.

Archived