Alternative to Princess Cay?

rslex

According to our itinerary, Princess Cay is our first stop. My question is, If the weather is not conducive to tendering to shore, is there an alternative port or does the ship just drop anchor and everyone stay on board for the day? Or does Princess do something altogether different?

I've only been on one other cruise (NCL) and we had to divert from their private island due to weather, and went to Key West instead.

According to our itinerary, Princess Cay is our first stop. My question is, If the weather is not conducive to tendering to shore, is there an alternative port or does the ship just drop anchor and everyone stay on board for the day? Or does Princess do something altogether different?

I've only been on one other cruise (NCL) and we had to divert from their private island due to weather, and went to Key West instead.

You will most likely get a sea day

about 6 times on a cruises we couldnt tender to go ashore to a stop. The ship just skiped the Island and went on . I thought maybe they would stop another day but the cruse line schedules which ship will be there a specfic day so if you miss it your out. A long time ago on the NCL Norway we couldnt stop a a private island and they had special games that day with great prizes . But that was the only time in 35 yrs that happened . CARL

I have not seen Princess change to an alternate port if stopping at Princess Cays can not be accomplished. If they can't tender you in, you will just sail around for another sea day. Ports are never guaranteed, and rarely alternate ports added, if you miss a port for most reasons (besides mechanical). Weather related problems do occur, which as said, just gives you another day at sea. Rarely is compensation given for missing a port because of weather related issues (you didn't ask, but thought I would throw that one in). ;)

I have not seen Princess change to an alternate port if stopping at Princess Cays can not be accomplished. If they can't tender you in, you will just sail around for another sea day. Ports are never guaranteed, and rarely alternate ports added, if you miss a port for most reasons (besides mechanical). Weather related problems do occur, which as said, just gives you another day at sea. Rarely is compensation given for missing a port because of weather related issues (you didn't ask, but thought I would throw that one in). ;)

Toto2Kansas

A while back we missed Princess Cays as the sand was washed out due to a storm the week before. We went to Nassau instead of the Cays so I guess there are times when another port is substituted.

Richard

Toto2Kansas

A while back we missed Princess Cays as the sand was washed out due to a storm the week before. We went to Nassau instead of the Cays so I guess there are times when another port is substituted.

Richard

Richard, I would have to guess that Princess had some warning about this before they changed your port. I should have said 'this doesn't usually happen', and yours is the first time I have seen it reported that skipping Princess Cays meant an alternate port in Nassau. I wouldn't count on this happening very often.

Last minute port substitutions are very rare, but with warning, yes they can happen. Most times when Princess Cays is cancelled, it is because they can not tender in because of rough seas, and then another sea day is just added, they do not normally go to Nassau. You got lucky I guess, if you can call Nassau lucky. lol

I've been on quite a few cruises where a port had to be missed. We sailed on to the next port, usually slowly. Once, we missed Rhodes due to weather and sailed directly to Kusadasi where we docked and had an extra half-day and evening there. Whether or not a port is missed depends on the distance to the next port, weather conditions and whether there is docking/tendering available for the extra time. Remember, port charges are based on the # of hours in a port so if you're in a port longer, the ship is charged extra and passes the extra port charges on to you.

Archived