Bump out

sportsmum

Do I want a cabin on the bump out part of the ship?

Looking at Coral C501/502 or C425. Is the bump out part better? Is it better to be in the middle of the bump out or the corner cabin?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Check this site for advice...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

You probably don't want the end of the bump out secton. No privacy. The next balcony (indented part) have a full view of your balcony and you of theirs. Also if the end cabin is on the front side of the bump out it will be very windy. I'd go for the middle of the bump out. Wait a minute...we did (GRIN)!

I'm going to have to disagree a little on the corner bumps - on the Panama Canal cruise, I thought the corner bump was very nice to have - a slightly better view (don't remember whether we were front or back bump, however; I think maybe the back of the bump). On the Alaska cruise, also a view cruise, we were on the middle of the bump.

If you're on a scenic view cruise (such as Alaska or Panama), definitely try to get on the bump somewhere - much better view forward and aft, even if you're in the middle of the bump.

If you want privacy on the corner of the bump, I think you'll still have privacy on part of your balcony - if you can't see a balcony, they can't see you. I wouldn't, myself, go for one of the half-covered ones - I prefer full cover, which actually has some sun for some of the day.

We had the 501 cabin and liked being on the bump-out very much. Note that you'll have less balcony space than the conventional Carib cabins - room for only two chairs vs the 4 you normally have - but the views were great and you can look down with an (almost) unobstructed view of the water. Because the cabins you referenced are regular balcony cabins and not the corner minis, no problems with winds or being "visible" to adjacent neighbors, if that was a concern.

Thank you all so much!!

Thought of one more bump out question- since it is bumped out is there less smoke blowing in from other balconies? We've never had a Princess balcony before (Dec 5th is our first) only Celebrity with the no smoking on balcony policy.

Not sure about the smoke, but I will tell you that the corner bump out cabin balconies really have very little privacy. The second time we were on the Coral, we had B509 and we could see the people in B503 every time they were out on the balcony since their balcony "stuck out" so much. It was almost like they were on stage for all the rest of us to watch.

The first time on the Coral, we had two mid-ship minis on the Dolphin Deck and really prefer that location because there isn't a bump out.

We were in B416 for the Panama Canal. That room was perfect for viewing the Canal because you have the forward corner of the middle bump out section. However, during sea days (or in between ports), the balcony was nearly unusable due to the strong wind. For any future cruise, we will get B504 or B503 (aft corners of the middle bump out section) since we enjoyed the corner balcony in the middle bump out section but not the forward corner. As I'm writing this, it may sound confusing. Please let me know if I can clear anything up.

We were in B416 for the Panama Canal. That room was perfect for viewing the Canal because you have the forward corner of the middle bump out section. However, during sea days (or in between ports), the balcony was nearly unusable due to the strong wind. For any future cruise, we will get B504 or B503 (aft corners of the middle bump out section) since we enjoyed the corner balcony in the middle bump out section but not the forward corner. As I'm writing this, it may sound confusing. Please let me know if I can clear anything up.

Hi, Janet,

Thank you for your helpful information. I did have to look at the deck plan to see what you are talking about. So you are saying that the Aft portion of the middle bump-out is better because it is wind-protected.

My question is:

These cabins appear to have more square footage than the others. Are they bigger?

Although Elite, this will be my first cruise on the Coral class.

TIA

:D:D:cool::D:D

I do not know much about the cabins in the bump out. But we had Baja 404 on the Coral which is right next to the bump out. Depending where you stood our view to the rear was hindered. I would say by 35% when standing at the far side away from the the bump out. But it did not bother us at all. i do not recall being able to see the balconies of the bump out cabins - but i was not looking either.

Thank you RickEk- you don't know how many times I have brought that up to review!

Cruiserjanet- With the diagram up it all made perfect sense. I had never thought about the front bump vs back bump but it makes sense when you think about it.

Also, the privacy issue and smoke issue fell into place with the diagram and the pictures from the site posted. Since I would be bumped out it would only be the neighbours that would affect our balcony. Duh.

Holy Cow! You really are on display on the corner's, aren't you?

Thank you all!!

Hi, Janet,

Thank you for your helpful information. I did have to look at the deck plan to see what you are talking about. So you are saying that the Aft portion of the middle bump-out is better because it is wind-protected.

My question is:

These cabins appear to have more square footage than the others. Are they bigger?

I believe the aft portion is better during sea days (and in between port calls) because you are wind protected. However, I got fabulous pictures going through the Canal by being in the forward bump out corner of this section (which you can see if you care to look at my pictures through the link I posted in my signature). I was on the balcony for 9 hours that day. Since DH is 6'5", he went to the front of the ship to take pictures.

There are very few mini-suites on this deck as you are surrounded by oceanview balconies.

This is a beautiful ship (like her sister) and easy to maneuver around. I can only imagine what she looks like now since she's recently been through drydock.

Archived