Denali Kantishna Experience Tour

bl413

We are trying to plan our tour for Denali.

Looking at the park site they have the Kantishna Tour which goes deep into the park.

1-Has anyone done this tour.

2-Will Princess credit you for the Natural History Tour tour that they include?

3-I was planning on booking this direct with the park-- any difference booking it with Princess?

Thanks for any advice, help etc.

I wasn't impressed at all - even disregarding the fact that our driver knew NOTHING about Alaska (fresh from Michigan), it was a lot of extra money to pay for an excellent lunch and a guided walk through the forest (in a group so large that I could seldom hear the guide). Kantishna itself has little to offer - the experience is the drive through the park, and you can get almost to Kantishna (Wonder Lake) for a fraction the price.

In my opinion, this is a very poor choice, due to the price. Kantishna is FAR better with overnights since features with hiking guides is a significant option. Flying one way is also a good option. Otherwise, on the day trips, you are paying heavy for a lunch, about it.

By comparism you can get on the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake for 1/3 the cost, going only a few miles less than Kantishna. I have been to Kantishna, it is a different area that is mostly privately owned, with access limitations. (verify directly any other Kantishna touring options, it's been several years since my visit).

You need to verify directly with Princess their current refund policy. Hopefully you have two nights at Denali Park included with your cruisetour??

Not sure of your booking question- Princess is only going to be able to book what is available and acts only as a booking agent. Same as booking yourself. HOWEVER, without your own transportation, you need to understand where ANY booking you make for buses picks up. AND you'll be on your own, for any bus leaving from the Access Center.

There is a one-way bus and a round trip bus. I would never want to attempt that long round trip in only one day. As BQ says, overnight (more than one night if possible) is the way to go. We did that years ago and would love to do it again.

The one-way bus ride was comfortable, uncrowded and unrushed because the driver stays at Kantishna overnight and does not make the return trip until the next day. That provides more time for leisurely wildlife viewing stops along the way than a same day round trip. It is expensive, but the price is all-inclusive (lodging, meals, daily sightseeing and wildlife tours, fly fishing, mountain biking, dogsled demonstrations, guided hikes, gold panning). The only extra charges were for optional flightseeing over Mt. McKinley, or flying one-way instead of riding the bus.

The one-way bus picks passengers up at the Denali RR station on the east end of the park. But I doubt if you would have enough time for it in any case if you are on a Princess tour.

P.S. The one-way bus is a private bus, not a park bus.

I'm all for the shuttle, but I am very independent in Denali. Very! I took the tour once as I had fancy visitors who didn't want to do Alaska my way. They enjoyed the tour and I couldn't wait to get out on my own.

That's why choices are offered.

Thank you all for the good advice.

How about shuttle vs. tour bus to the Lake?

Is tour bus worth the extra$$

If by "the Lake" you mean Wonder Lake, only the shuttle buses go there. The tour buses only go to Toklat (mile 53) or if the Mountain is visible, to mile 61 (Stony Overlook).

We are trying to plan our tour for Denali.

Looking at the park site they have the Kantishna Tour which goes deep into the park.

1-Has anyone done this tour.

2-Will Princess credit you for the Natural History Tour tour that they include?

3-I was planning on booking this direct with the park-- any difference booking it with Princess?

Thanks for any advice, help etc.

To answer #2, if not already answered. YES Princess will credit the tour you cancel. I just did it thru my TA. It reduced my balance due by $89/person. I found it on the Princess site and told my TA about it. Apparently I was the first person she had to do this. Pays to read everything you possibly can online

Archived