Just how low can they go?

sunseeker09

We booked with ES back in the summer for our cruise on the Victory on Jan. 3. The price for our balcony (8A) has gone from $779 down to $599 today! This is awesome, and of course we are happy about this :) We joke that at this rate Carnival will soon be paying us to take the cruise! LOL

So we're just curious just how low it can go? Is this very common? How much discount, or just how low has your cruise rate gone down? Particulalry curious about the lowest rates for this specific Southern Caribbean on Victory?

We booked with ES back in the summer for our cruise on the Victory on Jan. 3. The price for our balcony (8A) has gone from $779 down to $599 today! This is awesome, and of course we are happy about this :) We joke that at this rate Carnival will soon be paying us to take the cruise! LOL

So we're just curious just how low it can go? Is this very common? How much discount, or just how low has your cruise rate gone down? Particulalry curious about the lowest rates for this specific Southern Caribbean on Victory?

Hm. I booked the Liberty for 1/9 at the end of July and the prices have not budged!

Hm. I booked the Liberty for 1/9 at the end of July and the prices have not budged!

No? Well hopefully they do soon! :)

That's why I posted. I just wondered how common this is. Is it the ship? Is it the time of year right after Xmas that they can't fill it?

Anyway... I'm just excited about the discounts. It keeps making my day! 34 days until we cruise. <happy dance>

We booked on Destiny in August for the December 10 cruise. We booked at $259pp (interior - 4F) for a 4 day cruise. It first went down to $209, which I got....then it went back up for a while. Then it went down to $179, which I didn't get....then went back up. Then it went back down to $199, which I got. Stay on top of it, I think I didn't get the 179 b/c I got busy and didn't follow up on it, and by the time I got around to following up, the rate was gone and I hadn't saved any of the screen shots. If you see a lower rate, be sure to follow up!! Hope you gets lots of OBC, that's just as good as cash to me!!

We booked the Victory and our rate went down to $479 per person. Keep checking prices.

We are on the Dec 6 cruise and ours went to the same price. It was $759 when we originally booked.

Our last cruise booked 1 year in advance never once went down in price.

I am booked on the Victory in June and have had only had one drop for $20pp. If mine would drop like yours did, we would all be having a party on the balcony. I also booked the 8A cabin.

Have fun, post a great review with pictures.

My cruise this summer hasn't gone down in price, but I think we got a pretty good deal, so if the price goes down it's just icing on the cake.

That said, when I see posts like this I can't help but think of the longer-term trend.

Back in 1993 when I was a kid, I had a Carnival Brochure I picked up from a TA. I clearly remember the off-season 7-day cruise to Cozumel/Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios on the Holiday being $999 list price, per person, for an inside cabin.

Today, that same itinerary, same cabin type, in the off-season, is list-pricing on Carnival.com for $409 in January 2010 on the Liberty.

And that 59% price decrease from 1993 to 2010 is before inflation.

When you factor in inflation (using CPI from mid-1993 to today), that $999 in 1993 dollars would be $1,498 in today's dollars. So the price difference, in real dollars, is almost 73%!

I know a big part of the answer is larger ships with more economies of scale, (and some will say "competition," but competition in and of itself is not innovation), but it really makes me wonder how they do it.

I booked the Carnival Triumph for December 12th back in June at $939 pp, our price dropped down to $549 pp but hasn't dropped anymore in the last few months. I am very happy with the price drop though. Some of it dropped before our final payment then a little more after. Me and my best friend have $150 OBC each waiting on us!! We were also upgraded from 8a to 8c :)

Okay, I've got a question. If we booked early saver but only Fun Saver and Fun Select are available, can we get a OBC if those prices drop below what we paid or no? Also, it has to be the same category that we booked correct? I've only seen ours go up and stay up. I sure hope they drop so we can get some sort of obc.

I booked our New Years cruise for this year in Jan. It was $1968.96 for 2 in a 7a balcony ( the long ones) for an 8 day on the Spirit. It was a great rate considering the length of cruise and it being one of the 3 most expensive weeks of the year to cruise.

Fast forward to now. We have $360 OBC for a total price of $1628. Just over a $100 a day. Unheard of for holiday cruises. All the balconies & suites are gone. OV are guarantees only and there are insides left. The OV and top category insides are now more than I paid for my balcony! Love ES as all but one drop was after final payment.:p

Okay, I've got a question. If we booked early saver but only Fun Saver and Fun Select are available, can we get a OBC if those prices drop below what we paid or no? Also, it has to be the same category that we booked correct? I've only seen ours go up and stay up. I sure hope they drop so we can get some sort of obc.

Yes you should get the OBC as long as the prices are for the same category of cabin you booked.

Archived