Luau on Oahu

andynapril

We'll be traveling to Oahu in May with our four daughters. Not on a cruise, but I was hoping my CC friends could give me some help. We will be staying in Ko-Olina (not sure of spelling) and are looking for a good luau that won't break the bank as we'll be paying for six of us. Hoping somone can give some advise. Thanks so much!

When we did our luau, we did the Germaine's one. Yes, some may be better than others, but that is a question that has many answers. We chose Germaine's because it Was cheaper for us. We had bought the Entertainment book for Hawaii, and there was a 25% off coupon for Germaine's. I don't know if they ahve coupons other than the Entertainment books, like in local papers or penny-savers. maybe the locals could help you out on that. The entertainment book saved us on several other things also. there was a 2/1 for the Missouri, and we used it every night for different places to eat dinner. We got our moneys worth and more. If it fits into your agenda, you could buy several books and save a bunch. Since all you need are the coupons for certain things, if anyone has the new book and are not using the coupons, maybe you could make arrangements to buy it or trade it or something like that. Hope this helps.

Just an FYI just in case you do not already know - - The Ko Olina Resort Complex is next door to the Paradise Cove Luau (http://www.paradisecove-luau.com/), and just a few miles from Germaines (http://www.germainesluau.com/). PCL may be within walking distance, Germaines a short drive.

The only luau (on Oahu) that we have been to in recent years was at the PCC (http://www.polynesia.com/), which is an all day adventure, but well worth it.

The only luau (on Oahu) that we have been to in recent years was at the PCC (http://www.polynesia.com/), which is an all day adventure, but well worth it.

I do not usually quote myself, but I wanted to add that since you mentioned that you will have your daughters with you that the PCC does not serve any alcoholic drinks. The PCC is owned by the Mormon Church.

Great information. Thanks so much. Has anyone actually been to Germaines? Is it good, or are they all pretty good in general. PCC sounds good, but I'm not sure about committing to an all day thing. I'll definitely check it out though. Thanks everybody!:D If anyone has any other ideas I'm happy to hear them.

PS: How would you go about getting extra Entertainment coupons from people? Through CC or Craigslist or something like that? I'm sure I can buy the coupon book online. Thanks!

Hello

I am from the UK, but have been lucky enough to have had holidays on Oahu several times. It is a fabulous destination, and you will have a great time.

Discount vouchers are readily available in several free local 'what's on' guides. You can pick these up at the airport or stands on the street, or the hotel lobby. There are vouchers in there for all sorts of entertainment and restaurants, and they are a great source of ideas for spending your time on Oahu.

I always use the local bus service to get around. It is efficient, clean, very inexpensive, and the drivers have always been courteous and willing to help. You can see the whole island for a few dollars.

I'm starting to sound like a guide book now, so I'd better stop!!

Have a great time!

Thanks for all the great advice. I was looking into the PCC. It looks like the regular admission is $45 & if you include the luau it's $88. Seems like a good value if you had already planned on going to PCC, and I've seen favorable reviews. Any thoughts on the luau there? I know Paradise Cove is close by, but it's pricey when you're paying for six people. Thanks everybody.

Thanks for all the great advice. I was looking into the PCC. It looks like the regular admission is $45 & if you include the luau it's $88. Seems like a good value if you had already planned on going to PCC, and I've seen favorable reviews. Any thoughts on the luau there? I know Paradise Cove is close by, but it's pricey when you're paying for six people. Thanks everybody.

At the PCC the "luau" is a little different than at the more conventional luaus in that the area where the meal/luau is served is in a separate area than the show (Horizon's Theatre). At the PCC, the evening meal IMO is primarily used to feed the folks and give them a break before moving on to the theatre (since most of them will have been at the PCC all day and need the break). At all the other more conventional luaus the dinner and show are all in the same place, and take about 3-4 hours total.

I cannot comment on the PCC's luau/dinner since even though I have been there twice, niether time did we eat at the "luau." The first visit (many years ago) they just had a buffet dinner available and it was not called a luau. The second visit a couple years ago, we bought the "Super Ambassador" Package, which included a more standard made-to-order dinner in a separate area.

Sorry for the confusing response, but just remember that the show at the PCC is in the Horizon's Theatre and it is part of all packages (I believe) and there is no meals served there. The "luau" is in a seperate location and its primary function is to feed all the visitors and provide some level of entertainment during the meal. Maybe others can comment on the PCC's dinner. However, if you do a search you can find all kinds of information about the PCC on this board.

Ok, I see what you're saying & it makes sense. Wouldn't be the usual Luau experience. So, maybe another one. Thanks everyone. :)

Yes it is, just a little different. At the PCC a visitor typically spends all day roaming though all the exhibits, goes to dinner/luau, and then moves over to the theatre for what is generally agreed (some may disagree) to be the best show on the islands. An all day trip for most visitors.

With other more standard luaus, there it is a buffet dinner followed by a show. Three to four hours from walkin the gate to walkout.

Kind of an apples and oranges thing, where most of the other luaus are much more an apples to apples comparsion.

Believe it or not, my recommendation has always been to do both the PCC and a conventional luau if time and finances permit.

From all the buzz here, I have heard that the best places to go are either PCC or Paradise Cove. I haven't been to Paradise Cove myself but whenever I am asked I recommend PCC (I've been there 3 times in the past year and will probably end up going once or twice more).

To get a full experience (and to get your money's worth!) it's an all-day experience. There are many different villages throughout the center that have cultural shows that you watch or activities that you can participate in. I would recommend getting there by noon and eating a pretty good meal before to hold you over until dinner. There is some singing and dancing during your dinner. I've had the buffet dinner every time and everyone has loved it, the kalua pork is great. After dinner you get to walk around some more before the show. There is an IMAX theater where you can catch a short movie - when I saw it was something about underwater life. They just came out with a new show called Ha-Breathe of life this past summer which I haven't seen.

If you're worried about proximity, I would suggest you go to Paradise Cove or the luau offered by Ko'Olina. PCC is towards the North Shore which is about an hour from the resort. But if you have the time and are willing to make the drive with the day then go for PCC!

• 1 month later...

We are planning to go to a luau while staying on Waikiki beach before our cruise on POA. Right now we are leaning towards Germaine's Luau. I read some reviews on trip advisor that complained about the included transportation from Waikiki to Germaine's Luau. Has anyone on here took the transportation provided by Germaine's from Waikiki beach? Was there a long wait for the bus to leave from the hotel pick-up?

My top priorities in a luau are a good show, good drinks, and at least pretty good food (in that order).

• 3 weeks later...

We are debating between going to the Luau on Kauai (the excursion on POA) or going to Paradise Cove when in Oahu. Is Paradise Cove every night of the week or only certain nights? Can anyone compare these 2 luaus? I am not concerned about the price since this my be our only time in Hawaii. I am looking for the best show and meal. Please help us decide!:confused:

Hello

I am from the UK, but have been lucky enough to have had holidays on Oahu several times. It is a fabulous destination, and you will have a great time.

Discount vouchers are readily available in several free local 'what's on' guides. You can pick these up at the airport or stands on the street, or the hotel lobby. There are vouchers in there for all sorts of entertainment and restaurants, and they are a great source of ideas for spending your time on Oahu.

I always use the local bus service to get around. It is efficient, clean, very inexpensive, and the drivers have always been courteous and willing to help. You can see the whole island for a few dollars.

I'm starting to sound like a guide book now, so I'd better stop!!

Have a great time!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so I apologize in advance...since you advocate the bus so much....is that a good option for getting to Pearl Harbor? Or does it get you there too "late"?

To go to the PCC what is the best method, renting a car or going with a tour such as Robert's? We will be in Honolulu next year and want to spend time at the Arizona Memorial & also spend time at the PCC. We also will be traveling with relatives and they mentioned the North Shore drive and snorkeing at a beach nearby!:eek:

We will be on the POA and plan to fly in on Thursday (early afternoon) - have all day Friday, board the ship Saturday afternoon and then have all day the following Saturday when we disembark. We will fly home on Sunday morning. I wish we had more time, but we don't. Any suggestions as to how we get it all in?:confused:

Here's a website that I found on another thread. You can book tours, Luau's, etc for a discounted rate:

http://www.savontourshawaii.com/index.aspx

Snorkeling: Our friends have gone to Oahu lots of times (they're going with us in May), and they said the best place they found for snorkeling was Sharks Cove.

We are debating between going to the Luau on Kauai (the excursion on POA) or going to Paradise Cove when in Oahu. Is Paradise Cove every night of the week or only certain nights? Can anyone compare these 2 luaus? I am not concerned about the price since this my be our only time in Hawaii. I am looking for the best show and meal. Please help us decide!:confused:

We just returned from Kauai and went to the Smith Family Luau which is one of the more popular luaus on Kauai. It was good; the food is what you would expect for a luau. The grounds are scenic and the show was pretty good, trying to keep a theme going as well as an acknowledgement of various cultures that came to the islands. I would go again. We have also been to the Paradise Code luau, which is our favorite. The setting and sunset makes it well worthwhile. It is activity based with a variety of things to do before the Imu Ceremony, feast and show. Again, the food is more than sufficient. For all the foodies out there, don't expect a 5-star dining experience in any luau. Also the Paradise Cove luau offers premium seating with a served meal that gives the best show view.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so I apologize in advance...since you advocate the bus so much....is that a good option for getting to Pearl Harbor? Or does it get you there too "late"?

Hi

I have been to Pearl Harbor several times on the bus. It is about an hour trip from Waikiki, and the bus stops right outside the entrance to the visitor centre. I have arrived there about 10am or so and have never had a long wait for the boat to the Arizona Memorial. It is an incredibly moving experience, not to be missed. When you have finished there, walk through the parking lot to the Bowfin submarine, and then pick up the shuttle bus to the Mighty Mo. A fabulous day out, taking all the time you want, all for a few dollars on the bus ( plus the admission to the submarine and warship if you choose to do that). For me, this beats the often tight schedules of an organised tour any day. Just a tip, no bags of any kind are allowed in these areas for security reasons. The last time I visited there was a bag storage facility set up in the parking lot, but I prefer just to take the bare essentials in a pocket:). Have a great time!

Hi

I have been to Pearl Harbor several times on the bus. It is about an hour trip from Waikiki, and the bus stops right outside the entrance to the visitor centre. I have arrived there about 10am or so and have never had a long wait for the boat to the Arizona Memorial. It is an incredibly moving experience, not to be missed. When you have finished there, walk through the parking lot to the Bowfin submarine, and then pick up the shuttle bus to the Mighty Mo. A fabulous day out, taking all the time you want, all for a few dollars on the bus ( plus the admission to the submarine and warship if you choose to do that). For me, this beats the often tight schedules of an organised tour any day. Just a tip, no bags of any kind are allowed in these areas for security reasons. The last time I visited there was a bag storage facility set up in the parking lot, but I prefer just to take the bare essentials in a pocket:). Have a great time!

There's no doubt we're going to Pearl Harbor; and there's no doubt we will NOT do some sort of organized tour--it was really a matter of do I need to rent a car or is going by bus reasonable given that so many people say to get there at the crack of dawn.

There's no doubt we're going to Pearl Harbor; and there's no doubt we will NOT do some sort of organized tour--it was really a matter of do I need to rent a car or is going by bus reasonable given that so many people say to get there at the crack of dawn.

We also did the Bus to Pearl. As was said, it drops you off right there. Renting a car is nice, but not to go to Pearl Harbor. save renting the car to go out of Honolulu and drive aound the Island.

We were at Pearl Harbor by 9:00 aM via the Bus.

Archived