In cabin babysitting on RCCL

lephysteria

Hi,

We are sailing on the Radiance next week. Can anyone tell me more about this service?

Is it available on all ships, every night? What hours are they usually? Is there a per hour fee? Do we tip on top of that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We're hoping to have James asleep in the cabin, and then a councelor or staff member sitting in the cabin with him, watching tv or listening to music while we're at a show or the disco.

Thanks in advance!

Jen

Babysitting is available (if it's available, see below) from 8 a.m. -2 a.m. The cost is $10-12/hour payable in cash to the babysitter. Babysitters are crew members, not counselors. Sign up at guest relations. Do this as soon as you board. They will give you a form to fill out with your requested hours. There is no guarantee that babysitting will be available. The Crew members do babysitting in their off hours. Guest relations will let you know later if someone has agreed to fill your request(s).

As always, (any) gratuity is at your discretion.

We are normally tipping kind of people. For me, if I chose not to tip a babysitter there would be a larger question of "why not?" and I might consider canceling the service at that point.

For someone whom is not a tipping kind of person I suppose that train of thought wouldnt apply.

Babysitting is available (if it's available, see below) from 8 a.m. -2 a.m. The cost is $10-12/hour payable in cash to the babysitter. Babysitters are crew members, not counselors. Sign up at guest relations. Do this as soon as you board. They will give you a form to fill out with your requested hours. There is no guarantee that babysitting will be available. The Crew members do babysitting in their off hours. Guest relations will let you know later if someone has agreed to fill your request(s).

Are you sure about the time? I thought babysitting wasn't available until after 5pm.

That said we just did in room babysitting on Radiance in November so it is definitlely available on that ship. I agree you should go straight to guest relations when you board to sign up. We had babysitting on 2 nights. Once with just our 2 kids (3,1) which we paid $10/hr plus tip. The other night we added our nephew and she charged $15/hr. Well worth it.

ETA:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/familycruising/home.do;jsessionid=0000I8QAHX6brLJcu2NbjYsz7kb:12hdhubrs?cS=NAVBAR

According to the website it is $10 for the 1st and 2nd child and $15/hr for 3 kids.

We have never hired a babysitter, so therefore we've never tipped one. He usually stays with Grandma, and she won't take our tips :)

We generally give grandma a 50% tip. :D That said I would definitely tip if you think the babysitter does a good job.

I'm sure of the hours. On our AOS cruise last year, we took liberal advantage of babysitting. :p Here's the scoop from royalcaribbean.com

Q: Are babysitters available onboard?

A: Babysitting is offered both in a group setting, and individually in your stateroom. In stateroom babysitting must be reserved through the Guest Relations Desk (Purser's Desk) at least 24 hours in advance.

It cannot be reserved prior to the cruise vacation and there is no guarantee that sitters will be available. The service is offered between 8:00 am and 2:00 am when personnel is available. Sitters will be assigned on a first come first served basis

Children MUST be at least 1 year old.

Approximate Rate: $10.00 per hour for one or two children within the same family or $15.00 per hour for three children within the same family.

Times and prices are subject to change without notice. Payment must be made in cash.

Hi, Jen!!! I'm so excited that you're cruising with your baby! Please let me know about your experience with the in-cabin babysitting. We'll be on the Freedom with our 14 month old to be in January. Can't wait, but I'm a little apprehensive about the babysitting...

Take care!

Archived