Regent for a honeymoon?

shertz1981

Hi :)

I'm new to CC (but a long-time lurker), and have posted because I'm looking for some opinions about using Regent for a honeymoon.

My fiance and I are in our late 20s, getting married on 8/7. We're both relatively well traveled and cognizant of the differences in the passenger demographics/amenities on the mainstream and luxury lines. We're looking for something with great food and excursions. (A good Spa wouldn't hurt, either!)

We're considering doing the Stockholm-to-London or Venice-to-Athens itineraries. (I wanted to do the Black Sea Athens-to-Istanbul trip, but my fiance wasn't interested in that, sadly.) Any thoughts on which is superior?

Thanks so much!

Just reading all the posts in this forum has been helpful. I really enjoy cruising but haven't ever taken this kind of trip without my family, so don't know the first thing about planning.

Our original plan was to spend about 16 days in New Zealand in November as a delayed honeymoon, but due to various circumstances, that's looking unobtainable. We figured a ship was the best way to see as much as possible, as expediently as possible.

• 1 month later...

First, I wanted to congratulate you on both your upcoming wedding and your choice of date -- August 7 is my anniversary, so good choice!

I think you'll really enjoy a Regent cruise, and I like the idea that was suggested above of adding a few days pre- or post-cruise. Either of the itineraries you mentioned sound terribly romantic.

Sailing into Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cruise experiences we have had (very romantic -- sitting on the balcony with the scenery). Obviously, the sailing out of Stockholm would be equally amazing.

While both either itinerary would be wonderful on Regent, my personal favorite is Stockholm to London.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shertz1981,

You just encouraged me - as I also was born in 1981 and in my late 20's, engaged to be married this coming summer and wanting to cruise for a honeymoon! So I was excited to see your similar situation.

My fiance and I were concerned that we may not be welcomed or as comfortable in an older crowd. Rethinking it, we are afterall, homebodies and do not party hard. We both work management positions so when we are off work we just relax and go with the flow. Our only cruise so far has been on Royal Caribbean in the Mexican Riviera in September 2009 and we really enjoyed it. Thinking more about it, the other travellers did not have much of a bearing on the enjoyment of our trip. Don't get me wrong, we did get familiar with the guests at our dinner table and we were friendly with them whenever we saw each other. But the main focus was enjoying each other's company, the ports, and the excitement of being on a ship with excellent meals and staff. But even so, it is exciting to see that a couple similar to us (in age) is considering a Regent cruise as well!

PS We are really interested in the July 21st Mediterranean Passage (Venice-Barcelona). How exciting to visit SIX countries in one trip! I saw another Mediterranean itinerary I loved but it is for October and I won't do it because I'm afraid we will be too chilly for our liking.

Best wishes on your wedding planning!

Just a couple comments in favor of the Black Sea itinerary: the weather is more likely to be moderate and pleasant at this time of year than the Med.; the itinerary is sufficiently rare that the places you visit would not be overrun with tourists. We had a great time there, very beautiful.

Hi Shertz1981,

PS We are really interested in the July 21st Mediterranean Passage (Venice-Barcelona). How exciting to visit SIX countries in one trip! I saw another Mediterranean itinerary I loved but it is for October and I won't do it because I'm afraid we will be too chilly for our liking.

We did Venice to Barcelona on the emereld Princess in June 2008. There is nothing more romantic than sailing from Venice..over an hour passing through the beautiful Grand Canal as you listen to Andrea Bocelli. This cruise gets very hot in the summer, early June or October is perfect unless you want it very warm. Late July is probably the warmest it will get. Also, very port intensive, our was only 2 or 3 sea days, every day you are up wearly with a full tour.

I cannot agree more about the sea day issue. We have done the Baltic and the Black Sea but when the alarm goes off at 6:30 for the fifth day in a row, you may be sorry. There are ten day Baltic itineraries (not, I believe, on Regent, unfortunately,) that are a little more leisurely.

Another point I'd like to make is that because there is no assigned seating, you are not forced to be with other people at dinner if you don't want to be. The age differences don't become as much of an issue in that case.

My last suggestion is what my son and his fiancee are doing for their honeymoon this summer. They are going on the Paul Gauguin, formerly a Regent ship, to Tahiti. You don't more more romantic than that!

Whatever you decide, happiness always!

Archived