Should I bring a stroller for a 2 yr old???

glk2009

We're going on a weeklong cruise to Mexico (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta) with our 2 year old daughter.

Do I need to bring a stroller?

I wasn't planning to... she loves to walk and her dad loves to carry her everywhere. But I didn't know if other people found that it was useful to have.

Thanks!!!

At 2 mine often slept in the stroller as well. Also, the distances can be long on the ship and in port. But then, I'm taking a stroller for my 5 year old twins next month. For me it makes everything so much easier - and it's a great place to hold all the stuff I need.

Best,

Mia

im not bringing one for our 2yo. i didnt use it when we went and our son was only 15months.

she wont sit in it at dinner. the excursions we are doing are not stroller friendly.

if shes tired she needs to go to bed and we will take her. i think i can handle carrying my 2yo to the cabin once or twice a day if i need too.

we have 5 people in 1 cabin and space is going to be tight as is.

Im not bringing one for my 2 yr old, we actully only bought one when he was 18months old and needed it to go to seaworld, I've only ever used it a couple times!

My son doesnt nap, ever. And I will be bringing my podegie carrier (I make baby and toddler carriers!), which is super comfortable and folds up small, just in case he gets lazy.

He walks a mile every night before bed and walks a lot in general durring the day so I think he will be fine

The answer may depend on your own usual habits? We did not bring a stroller for our 2.5 y.o. twins and did not miss it -- but then again, I almost never use one at home either. I did have to carry one or both of them for much of the time in port, but I am used to doing this at home also. I have one of those soft carriers that go on your back and used that on port days when my son wanted/needed to be carried a long distance. DD is a good walker and she mostly walked on her own without complaint.

We kept bringing our stroller until the youngest was 4 (I know... we're BAD :) )

It's a real help.... especially if, after a long day somewhere...doing something.

I mean, I can remember several times when the baby would fall asleep in the room right before dinner.

We'd load her up in the stroller and park her next to our table while we ate.

Other times when the older ones wanted to catch the show... and we'd roll a tired one into the theatre near the back so we could all enjoy it (and make a quick escape in case screaming occured)

It's definitely helpful.

Long, hot, sun-filled days of fun and excitement usually konk most kids out early (if your lucky)... a stroller allows you a little more independence from the room.

We're not really stroller users at home. We did take a small stroller, slightly larger than umbrella one, that we borrowed for the trip. DD was 28 mos at the time. We did not use it once while onboard or in port. It sat in the room unused the whole time... BUT, it was a TREMENDOUS lifesaver during embarkation and debarkation. She was cranky because of the lines during embarkation and it came in handy because she could play with her toys in it. Then at debarkation, she fell asleep in it while we were waiting in the baggage line. Because of those 2 things, we are buying an umbrella stroller this time for our upcoming cruise. I plan on storing it under the bed during the trip. I wouldn't go without one. Hope this helps!

Looks like the answer is "it depends on your kid!" I would ask - do you use one frequently at home? The zoo? The mall? Places that you walk a lot? If so, a small one might be in order. If not, I wouldn't bother.

My youngest was 2 when we started cruising. I never used on because from the time he could walk, that is all he wanted to do. He has more endurance than patience - so as long as we are doing something he is interested in, he can hang with the best of them.

My 2 1/2 year old likes to walk and run everywhere, but occasionally he will prefer to ride. We are taking him on his first cruise in January and we are taking our umbrella stroller with us. We expect to use it less on the ship and more in port. Although that whole idea about taking the sleeping child to the dining room in the stroller might work out for us if he konks out early.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

My LO loves to walk AND ride in the stroller, so I think our stroller is coming with us! And the more I thought about it, it will also be a spot for her nap in while we're out and about!

Thanks!!!! :)

Bring one of those $10 umbrella strollers from Walmart, you never know when your little one will get tired or if you need to carry anything in it.

Plus you can bet they will be pretty hard to find and pretty expensive in foreign ports.

EX. my family and my buddies family were on Freedom of the Seas (11/29/09) they forgot to bring their umbrella stroller for their 2 year boy, well we get to the first port with shops and stores which was Ocho Rios we looked and asked numerous people were we could find a stroller, finally a guy leads us to this little hole-in-the-wall place. They have one brand new EVENFLO umbrella stroller that you would find back home for $20 or so, for a whopping $120 american:eek::eek::eek:, needless to say no stroller. The next port was Grand Cayman were the american dollar is less than the Cayman dollar, so again no stroller. Finally our last port Cozumel we were on a beach excursion the whole time. To sum it up my buddy & his wife ended up carrying their son just about everywere they went.

Our stroller always doubles for a cart for hauling all our junk (diapers, water bottles, etc.), so even if our son isn't riding in it, it's getting some use. I find it handy in the airport too when we're collecting up luggage, we can sling a bag over the handles of the stroller. Helps immensely.

Absolutely bring a stroller. A two year old will tire quickly and so will you if you have to carry him/her around. Look for a lightweight quality stroller that fold up tight, so as not to take up alot of room in the cabin. We have a Combi Savvy. Weighs about 10 lbs and has a shoulder strap for easy carry. We check it at the gate for the flights and fits easily in the in cabin closet. McClarren makes a good one too. Don't waste your money on one of those $20 disposable umbrella stroller.

I am bringing mine! I don't normally use one for quick trips around town(especially when I have somewhere to deposit my son once we get where we are going--i.e. shopping cart, highchair).

But, to me it will be invaluable to have onboard. He likes to RUN! and climb and is not afraid of strangers! I can completely visualize him falling overboard or disappearing into the crowds--ships have a lot of places to hide--and he would find them all! he is so fast and would be gone in an instant!

The stroller will keep him contained and in sight and I don't have to worry about him getting into a lot of trouble. I've been debating on whether or not a "leash" backpack would be beneficial.

My youngest was 3 on our cruise and I wondered if I should bring it, because we hardly used it at home. I was more into babywearing and she was big on walking. She would leap out of strollers in malls and airports. She is very active and doesn't sit nicely.

Boy was I glad I had it on the cruise! She was soooo tired leaving the kids' club and turns out our cabin was ages away. We also used it to watch the shows, and leave when she ran out of patience or get back to the cabin with her asleep in it.

So from a very un-stroller-using family with an older child, we actually were glad we had it. I still had the sling and used it a little.

Folding down tight is key. I was able to fit it behind the door very nicely and it didn't take up any room.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

My LO loves to walk AND ride in the stroller, so I think our stroller is coming with us! And the more I thought about it, it will also be a spot for her nap in while we're out and about!

Thanks!!!! :)

I think the stroller would be worth it for the naps alone. :) I'm hoping my little guy will sleep in his - will make all the difference in the world (to me). :)

Absolutely bring a stroller. A two year old will tire quickly and so will you if you have to carry him/her around. Look for a lightweight quality stroller that fold up tight, so as not to take up alot of room in the cabin. We have a Combi Savvy. Weighs about 10 lbs and has a shoulder strap for easy carry. We check it at the gate for the flights and fits easily in the in cabin closet. McClarren makes a good one too. Don't waste your money on one of those $20 disposable umbrella stroller.

I agree! The cheap $20 strollers are fine for a quick stroll, but I much prefer a quality umbrella stroller that offers features such as a decent sun shade (especially in the Caribbean!). FWIW, I have 3 Combi's! LOL :rolleyes:

Archived