Buying wine in argentina pre cruise

downundermatt

Am tempted to purchase some wine in BA prior to my Celebrity Cruise and have two questions.

Is wine in boxes readily available in Argentina ?

Is screw top wine (no cork) common in Argentine ?

Coming from Australia both are readily available here, but I would rather not have to bring from home.

• 2 weeks later...
Am tempted to purchase some wine in BA prior to my Celebrity Cruise and have two questions.

Coming from Australia both are readily available here, but I would rather not have to bring from home.

Yes, you can get them bubble wrapped in boxes.

I guess for good brand names you wouldn't get screw top wine.

I am reminded of the cartoon depicting one bum stretched out on the sidewalk passing a bottle to his buddy and saying " it 's a good wine, but not a great wine."

For anyone that reads this and wants to buy wine, good or great, bubble wrapped or otherwise, and have it delivered COD to their hotel I can strongly recommend Nigel at 0800vino. Google it. Great selection, knowledgeable sommelier/vendor, good pricing.

You can pick up some good Uruguayan wines in Montevideo near the port. Look for the wine tasting in an old home.
In Montevideo, look for the label Varela Zarranz. It's a small production winery that has won many international awards. Fantastic tannant reds & an exceptional sparkling white wine (namesake Maria Zarranz) made in the French champagne method. Prices US$5-20/bottle. Awesome value. :):)

Archived