H1N1 vaccine

Jodster19

I guess north of the border we are fortunate with regards to the availability of the vaccine. They are actually closing H1N1 clinics now because the volume has dropped so those that wanted the vaccination have no excuse. The only people that have died from the H1N1 are those that have the underlying issues. The regular flu is claiming more victims.

When I got the H1N1 vaccine at a county health dept., they gave me a card that verifies that I got it and has other info on it (like the lot # of the vaccine). I wasn't quite sure why I would need it, but I kept it anyway. But I doubt if the cruiseline would need it.

One local hospital is being very strict. They are requiring all their staff and any others (like nursing students who have clinicals there) to have the H1N1 vaccine, with no exceptions allowed. They said they don't care if you're allergic to eggs or have even had Guillan-Barre syndrome before; you must get the vaccine or do not come to work or clinicals!!!! I'm watching with interest to see when someone is going to sue them over this. :eek:

A flu shot gave me Guillian-Barre syndryom and a Pulminary Embolism. A flu shot ruined my life. I know what happened to me is rare but given the choice between one week of the flu or the rest of my life in pain, I wished I had skipped the shot.

I still cruise!!!

It took about 3 weeks for us to get our visas. We had to use a courier as I was not about to fly from AK to San Francisco....It took 4 days for overnight FedEx to get to DC....But visas, are in hand....I did not get the H1N1 vaccine...probablly had exposure back in the 50's and I have taken care of aprox 200 kids that have had it and I have not become sick...So, I probablly won't get it. Nor did I get any other vaccines except for the routine yearly fly vaccine. Typhoid is unreliable, Cholera? Unless they have a natural disaster I probably would not get that...and I am not going any place that has a malaria threat....I also got typhoid in Columbia many years ago ....... so I probablly have some immunity although it does not last very long....anyway, I would worry more about getting run over in Shanghai....:) I met a young man (20's) who lived there for several years and he said although it was touristic that Shuzou was his favorite water town....for what that is worth....Any one have any idea who Princess marketed this for since all of a sudden the cabins are gone?????

One local hospital is being very strict. They are requiring all their staff and any others (like nursing students who have clinicals there) to have the H1N1 vaccine, with no exceptions allowed. They said they don't care if you're allergic to eggs or have even had Guillan-Barre syndrome before; you must get the vaccine or do not come to work or clinicals!!!! I'm watching with interest to see when someone is going to sue them over this. :eek:

They wouldn't get away with that here. Several of our local hospitals do have a mandatory vaccination policy, but, if you are allergic, you just sign a waiver. The nursing unions fought the policy when it was initiated, because of the implication that RN's could not work during flu season if they did not have the vaccine. The hospitals had to back down because of the nursing shortage and the threat of a work stoppage. (Of note, some nurses did leave employment with those facilities and go to work elsewhere).

Also of note, I've been exposed to it hundreds of times at work over the past six months and have yet (*superstitiously knocks on wood*) to contract it.

You need to get this into perspective.

My dd who suffers from Asthma and epilepsy as just had H1N1. It has taken 4 weeks to recover from it. Nobody else in the family as contracted it. Its not as contagious as was originally thought. But it is the flu people should consult their doctors before making decisions regarding vaccinations. As previously said some people are up and around after a week others take longer it depends on your immune system.

The main thing is don't panic get the facts.

Babs

Yes, people die every year from the regular flu. Never said they didn't.

I did say the H1N1 is much worse than the regular flu. I've had both. I know. Believe whatever you want. :rolleyes:

Most people don't know if they have the flu or a bad cold.. How many times did you pay the extra cost for testing that you had the flu? Likewise, since your where tested what stains did you have?

For most people the H1N1 is very mild compared to other flu stains. You must be in the high risk category.

Most people don't know if they have the flu or a bad cold.. How many times did you pay the extra cost for testing that you had the flu? Likewise, since your where tested what stains did you have?

For most people the H1N1 is very mild compared to other flu stains. You must be in the high risk category.

I think you are right. My mom recently became ill quickly and had most of the symptoms of H1N1 (she didn't have a fever which 30% of the people with H1N1 don't). They did a rapid test that just determines if it is flu or not (not which strain) - it tested negative. It turns out it it ultimately turned into bronchial pneumonia. The pneumonia part is gone but she apparently has a type of bronchitis that is lasting 6 weeks or so. The doctors office said that there are a lot of mis-diangosis out there and some are diagnosing this as H1N1.

Our city had a lot of students ill in October (some schools had 20% out with flu symptoms - some tested positives, others didn't test as that was the only strain during that time). Most bounced back quicker then seasonal flu and were back in school missing only 3 days (plus a weekend).

Yes, people die every year from the regular flu. Never said they didn't.

I did say the H1N1 is much worse than the regular flu. I've had both. I know. Believe whatever you want. :rolleyes:

You are right on! My perfectly healthy 45 year old sister got H1N1...when I saw her after one month I was shocked. Six weeks later she is taking rehab therapy from the damage to her lungs and struggles to walk. She has aged 20 years and very frail, but recovering. It is not like a regular flu!

1. Consider the source of this information.

2. Consider that mandatory vaccinations are not something a cruise company would get involved in.

3. The CDC and Dept of Health, with the Surgeon General of the US, WHO would make any decisions about mandatory vaccines...just like they do now for yellow fever, dysentery, etc.

The rumor mill can be vicious. Best to not fall for them.

Cruiselines never require shots or vaccinations for anything so it's doubtful they would require the H1N1 shot. What they do is follow the requirements of the countries you visit on your cruise. For instance, if the ship is stopping at Devil's Island, you are required to have a yellow fever shot or letter explaining why you can't. You will not be able to board the ship at the embarkation port without your vaccination certificate or letter, whether or not you plan to get off the ship. This is a requirement of the country, not the cruiseline.

There are many people who aren't able to get the vaccine. I'm one of them; when they get to my age group, it'll probably all be over.

I dont't think Flu shots would ever be a mandatory requirement for a cruise. Depending on ports of call some vacinations would be mandatory.

However, I doubt the cruise line would let you board the ship if you were displaying obvious Flu like symptons (not that you would want to). And if you did come down with the Flu while underway, I think you would be quaranteed to you stateroom. The Flu could spread very rapidly through the ship to both passengers and crew.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. In answer to your question, I heard it from a coworker at work whose boyfriend is a police officer. He is the one who heard this from somewhere.He got a slip of paper stating that he had the shot. I dont know where he got his informaton from but I really didnt think that it would be a mandatory thing to have to have the shot to go on a cruise ship. They are going on a cruise in February, not Princess though. So Im happy to hear that it is probably just rumour. Thanks everyone, you have been most helpful.

Well, that seems indisputably reliable! :p

I've volunteered at the flu clinic since the start of flu clinics in our area. At our clinics, when you are vaccinated either for the "seasonal" flu or the H1N1, you are issued with a card stating that you have had the shots.

I think it's a personal decision whether you get it or not. The only reason my husband and I decided to get the H1N1 shot was because there is a possibility of a third wave in early spring and we have a cruise booked for April.

Believe me, working these clinics have been an eye opener for me. I've never seen such mass panic in my life, especially when the clinics first opened. Absolutely ridiculous !!!

I've volunteered at the flu clinic since the start of flu clinics in our area. At our clinics, when you are vaccinated either for the "seasonal" flu or the H1N1, you are issued with a card stating that you have had the shots.

I think it's a personal decision whether you get it or not. The only reason my husband and I decided to get the H1N1 shot was because there is a possibility of a third wave in early spring and we have a cruise booked for April.

Believe me, working these clinics have been an eye opener for me. I've never seen such mass panic in my life, especially when the clinics first opened. Absolutely ridiculous !!!

I agree about the "panic" thingie. The media does a real good job inciting many into a fearful frenzy. Remember "bird flu" and "SARS"? How about "mad-cow disease" and the Hanta virus.

If folks would not buy into the hype, we'd all be better off. A little common sense, a talk with a reputable doctor, a little research on the web would be very informative.

Good grief, 36,000 people a year die in the U.S. from plain old vanilla-flu and nobody panics.

I'd be in more peril on the drive to the airport. Over 6 1/2 MILLION car accidents a year in the U.S. with almost 45,000 deaths and several tens of thousands seriously injured...... Now that's something to worry and panic about.

"Good grief, 36,000 people a year die in the U.S. from plain old vanilla-flu and nobody panics."

Maybe because the "plain old vanilla-flu" kills mostly the very elderly or the already weak and sick,, where as in my province we have lost heatlhy children and young adults,, with no underlying health issues that are known of to H1N1

I just received an H1N1 vaccination this morning.I feel that this will be good for me so that I reduce the possibility of contracting the H1N1 flu and therefore will hopefully not make anyone else ill.The vaccination is voluntary at this time and it is up to you how you would like to maintain your own health.I do not think Princess will find it appropriate to mandate H1N1 vaccinations as it is impossible to determine who has vs. who hasn't been vaccinated.

Healthy crusing to everyone!:)

OK, my brother is an internist and recommended we got the vaccine.

I can't recall the last time I was sick or had a cold that lasted more than a few days but I have a heart issues. This is more than the case of the flu and should be considered differently, he said.

Archived