HELP ME PLEASE.. Packing Questions

newlife_2010

You should be fine for what you have mentioned for Dinners- No there are no bouncers around with velvelt ropes to ask you to leave because of your dress - nice khakis , nice shirt should be fine.

For warm climate foot wear and the fact you are also going to Disney where you'll end up on your feet about 15 hours every day I'd highly recommend crocs flip flops as your foot wear choice - I carry a good extra 50 lbs then I should and the first day at Disney wore good pair of Nikes and feet were throbbing by end of night - Next day wore the crocs sandals and big difference. Side benefit - the Crocs are good at beach, poolside , walking around town/ship. You should be able to pick up some crocs anywhere in Florida- in fact if I recall correctly there is even a crocs store in t he ORlando airport in case you are flying in there.

You might also have time to just order from their website -

Have a blast!!

We dont take any of the extras for the room. Weve sailed a few times and never needed anything extra, even with laptops, two cells phones and battery chargers. Just rotate when you charge stuff with no worries!

What we do usually bring are those little travel size toilet papers that you can stick in your purse or backpack. Great for shore excursions, or walking around town. You never know if theres some or enough! This way you always know you have some. Hand sanitizer! When we went on our first cruise we found in the travel aisle toilet seat covers. There were like five in a pack about the size of a credit card, just a little thicker. Ended up using all of them in Jamaica when our bus for our excursion stopped for a "restroom break" and the toilet was a shack with a hole in a bench type area. Think of a very very primitive port a potty. I was thankful to have ALL of it, so were the ladies in there with me!

That was really the only time I have used them, but still you never know!

Have fun.

Be sure you carry your prescription drugs in their original container.

Why does it have to be in the original container? I have went through TSA many times without having to declare my medicine - I have it stored in a daily-week container. My medicine bottles will be too bulky? Anyone else with prescription meds carry the bottles or no?

I can not believe that my cruise is less than a month away. I am starting to get my essentials together over the next 2 weeks.

I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow to get my prescriptions filled and ready to go. But what do you recommend for Sea Sick medication? This is my first cruise so I am not sure if I will get sea sick or not. What is the best product? Do I get it at the pharmacy (over the counter) or is it on the shelves? What do you guys use?

Also, besides sea sick medication - is there any other things you pack like cold and flu medicine, ear plugs, first aid kit, etc?

Thanks for your help, I just want to be prepared. I have never traveled outside of the country and never been on a cruise, plus I am going SOLO. AHHHHH.. :p

Well.... I take Bonnine with me just in case. It can be found over the counter right near the dramamine. Others have sugested Sea Bands. I will be getting these for my sister to use as she gets motion sickness in the backseat of the car. Not sure if she will need them, but like you, I like to be prepared. I then generally take a cold med with me too, like advil cold and sinus. But that is it. You can also get the sea sickness pills from the purser I think. Someone will correct me if I am wtong;) Have Fun!!!

I was in the Caribbean last week and got a scratchy throat halfway through the 7 days. I scrounged around my bags and had a theraflu pack, a couple cold pills that held me for a day but it got worse and I had to pay 14.99 for a SMALL bottle of Dayquil at the gift shop on board. They don't have many choices of meds. So, I would recommend that even if you don't end up using it, going from cold weather to hot and back to cold (it was chilly in New Orleans) to bring something for multi symptoms so you can enjoy your cruise. Those little pills don't take up any space.

For a guy, I think the shower gel will be just fine for you (I think it's Lever 2000). I don't know what Disney has though.

You can order swim shorts online at stores like JCpenney. They also have Big and Tall sizes. You can actually find a lot of summer clothes on clearance in many online stores if you need to purchase still. Don't forget the clearance racks in the stores around you as well. 2 weeks ago I got 5 pair of shorts for 2-5 each on the rack.

Why does it have to be in the original container? I have went through TSA many times without having to declare my medicine - I have it stored in a daily-week container. My medicine bottles will be too bulky? Anyone else with prescription meds carry the bottles or no?

No, DH doesn't take the original Rx bottles either, and we've never had a problem.

Not knowing where in Illinois you are located but if you check with Kohls they had some summer clothes on sale and I believe some swim trunks. Of course as others suggested you can buy on line.

I have some friends that are prone to motion sickness and the Bonine worked for them.

Normally you are fine to carry it in the weekly dispensers. If there are narcotics involved, take those in the original bottles.

What I suggest is that you stop by the pharmacy and have them print you a set of your labels. Take those along with you so that you can show them to any appropriate authority that might need to see them. They take up no space. In addition, if you are injured or become ill, you will have them available to show whoever is treating you, because you know they always ask what you are taking.

Take it from me, someone who gets very seasick.

Bonine

Sea Bands

Quesy Drops (Quesy Pops for smaller children)

Salty snacks (Chips, Saltines, Pretzels, etc.)

I start taking the Bonine a day before the cruise, put my Sea Bands on before boarding and use the Quesy Drops and salty snacks as needed.

Also, the seasick meds they have on board at the desk really help, if you find yourself without.

I don't bring them in original containers - too bulky - I actually 'consolidate' them into one 'prescription' container and then a few in my pill box in my purse. Ya there's a mix of pills in there - but no one has ever opened my pill bottle to see what in there!

On my first cruise, I used the prescription seasick patch that goes behind your ear (sorry, can't remember what it's called). After a couple of days, my vision was so blurry that I took it off.

So far, I haven't been seasick, but then I don't usually get car sick either.

From talking to friends, I hear that Bonine is a popular choice for when the seas get rough.

I agree with Dan40's statement, "Take half the clothes and twice the money you planned!:D"

It's so much easier to travel with less stuff. Plus, you save on baggage fees at the airport if you can leave a suitcase at home. As far as the money goes, plan ahead carefully for everything: taxis, airport parking, tips, excursions, meals off the ship, drinks, etc. If you can stick to a budget, you should be okay. Then again, there always seems to be something we forget to account for.

I went on my first cruise in June 2009, and took the advice from CC about taking half the clothes...i ended up doing 3 loads of laundry during the cruise! It was sooo warm that I couldn't rewear anything without washing. I will probably still pack less than I want, but I will plan on doing my laundry onboard. I was prepared and had brought travel size laundry soap!!!

Archived