skipping formal nights

ElyseB

The back of the ship has casual dining, No formal nights is one of the reasons we love Azamara,

Yes, the casual dining is in the back of the buffet area but it is not a buffet. It is a sit down dinner with a different menu than you get in the Main Dining Room. It costs $2.00pp and reservations are requested but not always needed. There are also some options in the buffet area such as pasta, pizza, sushi, etc.

Finally, in the event you are not aware, the Main dining Room menu is available through room service but it will be delivered all at once instead of in courses.

Good luck and enjoy..

Can anyone here describe the casual dining menu? Does it include a variety of items (steak, fish, pastas, etc), or are there typically just 2 or 3 dishes to choose from? We're planning to skip formal night on our upcoming cruise (on Century), and I'd like to give this venue a try. Is it the same menu every night? And this may be a silly question, but I imagine we can just charge our ship account for the $2pp, or is it an expected cash tip?

Thanks!

By the way, all of your comments apply to the M class. But I am not sure if they apply to the Mercury. Also, the food at that casual dining venue is pretty good.

Mercury and Century have the casual dining, they had it before the M class ships were launched...It is not available on the S class ships...

On non-formal nights on Celebrity, you need to dress like you're going to a nice restaurant on a Saturday night.

It's not much different for formal nights.

For guys, all you need to do is add a sport jacket, and you'll be fine.

For ladies, a nice outfit is all you need.

You do not need a tie, a suit, a tux, a gown...

Don't be scared off by the fashionistas who will try to convince you otherwise.

On non-formal nights on Celebrity, you need to dress like you're going to a nice restaurant on a Saturday night.

It's not much different for formal nights.

For guys, all you need to do is add a sport jacket, and you'll be fine.

For ladies, a nice outfit is all you need.

You do not need a tie, a suit, a tux, a gown...

Don't be scared off by the fashionistas who will try to convince you otherwise.

I assume you are referring to those of us who read the rules and chose to follow them. Yes you need a tie on formal night. If you don't like that -- than there are other cruise lines to chose from.

On the Millenium in September the food in the casual dining area was quite good.They offered five entrees and they stayed the same every night.It was an Alaskan cruise and the menu was Alaskan themed.There was a fresh fish offering every night.They also offered appetizers soups salads and desserts.The waiters are waiters in training and really aimed to please.The food is cooked right around the corner and came out hot.There was a wine sommelier.We ate early enough that it was light outside and the view was beautiful.They do suggest reservations for this area.We did dress for the evenings suggested attire but not everyone else did although I didn't see anyone in jeans and t shirts which is what we would wear at home.We really enjoyed our time there.We sat at a table by ourselves which is nice sometimes on a longer cruise.Ours was a BTB.We ate there when our daytour interfered with our dinner in the main dining room.

I assume you are referring to those of us who read the rules and chose to follow them. Yes you need a tie on formal night. If you don't like that -- than there are other cruise lines to chose from.

The OP is talking about Casual Dining where you do not need a tie and jacket according to Celebrities rules...

We have done the casual dining a couple of times; and, I always left the $2.00, charge in cash. We found that the food was good and the service was fine. Insofar as dress is concerned, we always do black tie on formal nights, but we dress smart casual on all other nights. No jacket is required on the latter nights. Obviously, you are not required to dress formal for casual dining.

In September, Oct on the Infinity there were many at formal night with no tie. I did see one couple not get in. She was dressed to the nines, looked gorgeous and he had on a golf shirt, no jacket. He was asked to go get a jacket.

Whether we like it or not, things have changed and Celebrity seems to be accepting the way people choose to dress with minimum expectations.

We had a man at our table in the main dining room who came to dinner in short shorts, not bermudas. They would not have flattered him on the beach, much less in the MDR. All of the rants have not changed things so we need to accept things as they are and stop ranting.

I'm not saying it's right. It is what it is! As long as you are comfortable with yourself, that's what matters IMHO.

We went for the casual dining on one of the formal nights and tipped in cash. It was quite good. They had a standard menu plus specials each night. The food was very good.

We always take 50 or 100 ones so we can tip for room service and things like the casual restaurant as well as having the correct change to bargain with vendors when we get off the ship.

We keep a couple in our pockets just in case we ask for something special.

I have previously posted an answer that I received from Celebrity, advising that a sport jacket without a tie is fine.

I'm sorry if you think it is not acceptable, but Celebrity - the ones who make the rules - say it's okay.

My personal experience from last month shows that at least 1/3 of men did not wear a tie, jacket or both on formal nights.

So... if you need everyone to be wearing a tie, a suit, tux, whatever, as a hard and fast rule, I'm sure that YOU can find another cruise line to choose from :rolleyes:

I have previously posted an answer that I received from Celebrity, advising that a sport jacket without a tie is fine.

I'm sorry if you think it is not acceptable, but Celebrity - the ones who make the rules - say it's okay.

My personal experience from last month shows that at least 1/3 of men did not wear a tie, jacket or both on formal nights.

So... if you need everyone to be wearing a tie, a suit, tux, whatever, as a hard and fast rule, I'm sure that YOU can find another cruise line to choose from :rolleyes:

Nicely put.......... I do not like wearing a tie (did enuff of that thru grade school/high school and my former profession), so I will have my sportcoat on.....

Did Celebrity say men could wear a sports jacket, no tie in the MDR on formal nights? My DH would like that!

All this talk of "rules" makes one wonder what one is looking for in a vacation. Personally, I deal with "rules" while I'm at work. I'm looking for a little more relaxed atmosphere while vacationing and if I feel like dining without wearing a tie that's what I'm going to do. (And it's entirely likely.)

Did Celebrity say men could wear a sports jacket' date=' no tie in the MDR on formal nights? My DH would like that![/quote']

Here is the e-mail answer I received when I asked:

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your email.

A dark sports jacket and dress shirt with slacks is sufficient for men during formal nights onboard.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Representative

All this talk of "rules" makes one wonder what one is looking for in a vacation. Personally, I deal with "rules" while I'm at work. I'm looking for a little more relaxed atmosphere while vacationing and if I feel like dining without wearing a tie that's what I'm going to do. (And it's entirely likely.)

That is precisely the point, either have the rules or don't and enforce them or not. I have been saying that for a couple of years now. Years ago if you went to the dining room without a tie you simply would not be admitted but that obviously has changed. If they are going to issue a dress code than they should either enforce it or lose it. To compound it they then get some customer service rep sending out an email to someone which is obviously telling the writer to ignore the rules as set forth by the company. This is why there are so many of these stupid dress code threads. Consistency....

Let's face it, there are a certain number of people who will always do as they please and make excuses for themselves. It's really their problem and they are the ones who will always be out of place. In the grand scheme of things they just don't matter.

Let's face it, there are a certain number of people who will always do as they please and make excuses for themselves. It's really their problem and they are the ones who will always be out of place. In the grand scheme of things they just don't matter.

And if you really think about it, nobody matters but yourself. I don't see anyone worrying about what other people think of them. It's not their problem. It is your problem if it bothers you. There are a couple thousand people on cruises and if you spend your whole vacation going around judging what everyone is wearing then that is your perrogative and maybe that's how you enjoy your vacation by being judgemental. Remember, not everyone can afford tuxes and fancy clothes and some are just more casual than others. I think everyone should just leave everyone else alone and enjoy your own life and your own vacation.

They are not "rules", they are guidelines.

I feel sorry for the 'Ma Bells' and the 'Detroit Cruisers' on this board and in this world, circa 2010

They will continue to tell many of us to 'choose another line' if we won't dress the way they want us to dress (in this case even above n beyond X's rules) and that we will be 'out of place'

Actually, no

I've sailed X a zillion times, (and Silverseas) and I've never worn a tie to dinner, nor so called 'dress shoes' and I absolutley do not 100% follow the rules (I do in spirit - I dress up, willingly) and I've never missed a formal meal in the MDR, nor will I

And to quote John Lennon 'I feel fine', and I'll be on the Summit again on Feb 20th enjoying my vacation regardless of what they think, as in the end, there's no problem here, other than the one they are making, so too bad for them

However for those who simply are not in the mood period to put on some 'nicer clothes', I don't reccomend room service, even with a butler (I'm lucky that I'm able to afford suites on X) all the food will come at once at it will be temperature wise, an uneven meal experience, that is if you yearn for a 4 course type replacement that one would usually get in the MDR, etc

IMO, The Buffet, or back of Buffet is the way to go

Enjoy

jc

toronto

I feel sorry for the 'Ma Bells' and the 'Detroit Cruisers' on this board and in this world, circa 2010

They will continue to tell many of us to 'choose another line' if we won't dress the way they want us to dress (in this case even above n beyond X's rules) and that we will be 'out of place'

Actually, no

I've sailed X a zillion times, (and Silverseas) and I've never worn a tie to dinner, nor so called 'dress shoes' and I absolutley do not 100% follow the rules (I do in spirit - I dress up, willingly) and I've never missed a formal meal in the MDR, nor will I

And to quote John Lennon 'I feel fine', and I'll be on the Summit again on Feb 20th enjoying my vacation regardless of what they think, as in the end, there's no problem here, other than the one they are making, so too bad for them

However for those who simply are not in the mood period to put on some 'nicer clothes', I don't reccomend room service, even with a butler (I'm lucky that I'm able to afford suites on X) all the food will come at once at it will be temperature wise, an uneven meal experience, that is if you yearn for a 4 course type replacement that one would usually get in the MDR, etc

IMO, The Buffet, or back of Buffet is the way to go

Enjoy

jc

toronto

I am sure I don't agree with what you are suggesting are malicious posters as you specifically noted, so now that I have that out of the way...

I do think that when there are notes in the dailies and the widespread information is well known, those who do not chose to follow are open to what ever anyone thinks about them and if those thoughts are such that they are unfavorable, well, that's about choice too.

To suggest that it is not OK to think personal thoughts that may be contrary to what you think (using a universal you) but that it is OK to behave in a personal manner that is of a contrary nature it ends up being the same thing IMHO.

I think that if its OK to say I'm not wearing it its OK for anyone to say what they think too.:)

Archived