skipping formal nights

ElyseB

I am sure I don't agree with what you are suggesting are malicious posters as you specifically noted, so now that I have that out of the way...

I do think that when there are notes in the dailies and the widespread information is well known, those who do not chose to follow are open to what ever anyone thinks about them and if those thoughts are such that they are unfavorable, well, that's about choice too.

To suggest that it is not OK to think personal thoughts that may be contrary to what you think (using a universal you) but that it is OK to behave in a personal manner that is of a contrary nature it ends up being the same thing IMHO.

I think that if its OK to say I'm not wearing it its OK for anyone to say what they think too.:)

It seems those who are against appropriate dress are also those who feel that others can't have an opinion or even worse, can't answer someone elses questions. It is usually those who don't follow the rules that cause the problems on these threads as others are just answering the question. I also find it difficult to believe that this poster has been on Celebrity "zillions" of times and never worn a tie. Anyone knowing Celebrity knows that this would not be possible unless those "zillions" of times were in the last couple of years.

I personnally don't care what other people wear and would never comment on it but I resent highly those who will not allow posters to answer legitimate questions.

And if you really think about it, nobody matters but yourself. I don't see anyone worrying about what other people think of them. It's not their problem. It is your problem if it bothers you. There are a couple thousand people on cruises and if you spend your whole vacation going around judging what everyone is wearing then that is your perrogative and maybe that's how you enjoy your vacation by being judgemental. Remember, not everyone can afford tuxes and fancy clothes and some are just more casual than others. I think everyone should just leave everyone else alone and enjoy your own life and your own vacation.

It doesn't bother me. I think that's what I said.

I feel sorry for the 'Ma Bells' and the 'Detroit Cruisers' on this board and in this world, circa 2010

They will continue to tell many of us to 'choose another line' if we won't dress the way they want us to dress (in this case even above n beyond X's rules) and that we will be 'out of place'

Actually, no

I've sailed X a zillion times, (and Silverseas) and I've never worn a tie to dinner, nor so called 'dress shoes' and I absolutley do not 100% follow the rules (I do in spirit - I dress up, willingly) and I've never missed a formal meal in the MDR, nor will I

And to quote John Lennon 'I feel fine', and I'll be on the Summit again on Feb 20th enjoying my vacation regardless of what they think, as in the end, there's no problem here, other than the one they are making, so too bad for them

However for those who simply are not in the mood period to put on some 'nicer clothes', I don't reccomend room service, even with a butler (I'm lucky that I'm able to afford suites on X) all the food will come at once at it will be temperature wise, an uneven meal experience, that is if you yearn for a 4 course type replacement that one would usually get in the MDR, etc

IMO, The Buffet, or back of Buffet is the way to go

Enjoy

jc

toronto

I don't know why you'd be feeling sorry for me since I feel the same way you do. I don't suggest anyone choose another cruiseline. It's not going to affect me or my enjoyment whatsoever. There are lots of options for people who don't care to dress up.

I have way more resent to those people here who post LIES and MIS-INFORMATION such as 'You have to wear a tie on formal night'

Actually, no you don't

I believe it was that particlular neo-conservative post that hi-jacked the thread and subsequent defense of that point

But I love the little dig that suggests the on-going aruguement about the MDR rules on X, here on cruise critic, can be solely 'blamed' on one side, those whom question the rules in the first place, yeah right (lol)

May, I point out this website is called CRUISE CRITIC, not CRUISE NEO TRADITIONAL MAIN DR, point made

Back to the main question, maybe someone can tell the OP how the back of ship food service differs from the MDR

jc

toronto

It seems those who are against appropriate dress are also those who feel that others can't have an opinion or even worse, can't answer someone elses questions. It is usually those who don't follow the rules that cause the problems on these threads as others are just answering the question. I also find it difficult to believe that this poster has been on Celebrity "zillions" of times and never worn a tie. Anyone knowing Celebrity knows that this would not be possible unless those "zillions" of times were in the last couple of years.

I personnally don't care what other people wear and would never comment on it but I resent highly those who will not allow posters to answer legitimate questions.

I don't think anyone is against appropriate dress. Some people just don't like to get "as dressed up" as some other people may.

I saw a woman in a very fancy (must have cost alot of money) short, short. low low low cut (open to the waist, no bra) dress on my last cruise and not one guy complained about it. The women thought it was tacky but the men were fine with it just as I don't care if men don't wear a tie.

I have way more resent to those people here who post LIES and MIS-INFORMATION such as 'You have to wear a tie on formal night'

Actually, no you don't

I believe it was that particlular neo-conservative post that hi-jacked the thread and subsequent defense of that point

But I love the little dig that suggests the on-going aruguement about the MDR rules on X, here on cruise critic, can be solely 'blamed' on one side, those whom question the rules in the first place, yeah right (lol)

May, I point out this website is called CRUISE CRITIC, not CRUISE NEO TRADITIONAL MAIN DR, point made

Back to the main question, maybe someone can tell the OP how the back of ship food service differs from the MDR

jc

toronto

Jeeze...way out there...:eek:

Here is what the daily says:

This Evenings Attire: Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Does it say tie, no it doesn't but like all those before me have pointed out, it also doesn't say shirt or shoes.

So spare at least me the idea that a presumption of a tie as the accessory is off the charts based on the tone of the attire for the evening. People have been wearing them for hundreds and hundreds of years, and they seem to never go out of style.

I could care less what anyone wears to the DR, as I'm there to enjoy myself but why bother booking with a cruiseline that states right up front that there are two "formal" nights on every 7 night cruise...and then get upset when someone suggests you dress for "formal" night if using the MDR?

I understand not everyone has a tux, I understand not everyone has a suit, I understand that Celebrity has even told people they don't HAVE to wear a tie but why would you even want to attend a "formal" night celebration if you didn't want to get into the spirit of the evening by getting at least a little dressed up....

Again, I don't care, what someone else does doesn't impact me... I just don't understand why it is so important that some people purposely rebel against an atmosphere that they were well aware of before they booked the cruise.... I just find it odd....

jc

toronto

Actually, if you had read the other posts, you would have found out that I answered that question in post #3, thread was then hijacked by those who then argued against the dress code.....

Are there any places besides room service, to have dinner on Formal nights?

We'll be on the Mercury in January and just want to keep it causal.

I don't understand how a simple question like this always turns into a debate on formal wear..aka TIES.

My thought? People will wear what they want. Some don't care about following guidelines or rules. (They won't be sailing on the ships that actually enforce the "guidelines". )

There are always those men who think and argue that apparently wearing a TIE with their sportscoat will cut off their air supply :rolleyes: OR.. just don't want to be told to do anything in their life. :eek: ("I followed enough rules when I worked")

So who cares?

Most people will dress cleanly, neatly and in a civil manner. I promise I won't be counting ties while chomping on my breadsticks! My handsome husband WILL be wearing one.;) He's the only one I'm interested in. :D

does anybody here reasonably believe that the description of formal-wear being a "tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket" does not at least implicitly mean that a tie should be included on these formal nights. Personally I don't really care. What I meant by my "neo-conservative reply" was that Celebrity has less informal options than other lines and if you have an aversion to formal attire perhaps you would be happier elsewhere. Just as I may be happier elsewhere if Celebrity continues to become more mainstream in food, service, and ambiance. To call me "neo-conservative" based on a plain reading of Celebrity's rules is not polite or necessary. Wear whatever you want... just please stay away from me if we are ever on the same cruise -- not because of what you wear but because of how you talk.

Archived