Need Help - Important questions

Kerrupt

I have got a couple of questions regarding vaccinations. We are going on the Jewel 11 night Canal cruise in January. It has come to my attention that our port stops in Panama and Costa Rica have some extra considerations.

In Panama visitors are required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination (I think) if they are to debark and go on Shore tours? The CDC website seems to indicate that if you are in the Canal region this may not be the case. Am I correct in assuming this? Has anyone been told they couldn't get off the Ship in Colon or has a vaccination record been required to do so? We are booked for the Embera Indian Tour. Is this still considered Canal Zone?

That's one.

The other isn't so sticky, but I have also noticed that Limon province in Costa Rica is considered a Malaria risk area. Does anybody (or Everybody) actually get anti-malaria medication or is a person good to go if they just bathe themselves in Bug repellent? We are doing the Aerial Tram/Tortugua Canals tour there.

I am not one to get overly worked up about this stuff but do want to use some common sense. My gut tells me to just make sure that I wear good bug repellent for both tours and we'll be fine.

Please let me know what others experience has been.

those recommendations are for staying in the country for a few days or more, not for a port stop.

there are no vaccination requirements for cruise passengers and you may have misread

And the following is a recommendation not a requirement

For all travelers ≥9 months of age traveling to the provinces of Darien, Kuna Yala (old San Blas), Comarca Emberá, and Panama east of the Canal Zone, EXCLUDING the Canal Zone, Panama City, and San Blas Islands

we went white water rafting in Limon and and never considered it, that malaria stuff is not fun

Before we went on a Belize jungle tour (also a malaria risk) I read up on malaria. I guess the malaria mosquitos only bite after dusk. And you will be back on the ship by the time the bugs start biting. Or at least, that's what I think I remember reading. ;)

But Sue is correct (of course :D) no immunizations required.

Oh and of course, don't forget your bug spray with Deet.

Hi there, we are also heading to Panama (not the canal) and Costa Rica in March on the Jewel.

We followed the CDC guide last year before we went to Asia and booked an appointment with the immunization clinic. They only recommended whopping cough and tetnus - and hep A & B optional. I read that yellow fever was required if you came from a country that had yellow fever. We are debating on whether to book another appointment at the clinic.

Whatever the outcome - enjoy your trip!!

Judi

Actually, you don't NEED any vaccinations....you won't be in the "wilds" of these countries long enough to encounter any "bugs"!

Unless you are camping outside for a couple of days, you will not be exposed to any of the "illlnesses" that the vaccinations protect.

Sometimes I think the less you read, the better off you are. I didn't recall seeing anything on RCCL's site regarding malaria in Costa Rica or Belize, so I didn't even think about it on the cruise.

And that's even after getting literally 20 or so bites in the cave and jungle in Belize. Those things itch like crazy for daaaaays!

Archived