avalon amsterdam to vienna may

pully8

2nd cruise with avalon booked for may next year. looking forward to it very much. we plan to have extra days in vienna at the end, we want to see a performance at the spanish riding school. anyone been to see that?

also anyone suggest a nice central hotel in vienns?

regards.

http://www.srs.at/index.php?id=386

Here is a web site that shows when the performances are at the Spanish Riding School..You can order the tickets in advance. Since you will be in Vienna in tourist season I would order my tickets in advance if you really want to see them. I have not seen them in Vienna but did manage to go to the performance in Atlanta a few years ago when they were on a world tour.When we were in Vienna there was no performance on the days we were there but several people did go to the practice.I was raised in the Chicago area and went to many performances in Gurnee Il at Temple Farms. In my opinion the performances at Temple Farms was much better than the one in Atlanta.I am a equestrienne and I really enjoy watching the amazing Lippizan horses.

In Vienna the Imperial, Sacher and Bristol are all wonderful

5* hotels as is the Meridien and they have the best and most central locations.

We've stayed in all and it would be hard to pick a favorite as they are so very diferent. There are many more affordable choices such as the Romischer Kaiser 4* which we stayed in with friends and also has a prime location.

As for the Spanish Riding School: in order not to spend too much time you may want to book a practice which is shorter than a performance. There is so much to do in Vienna and even after a week we always feel that we have left lots to do for the next time Enjoy the city!:)

thanks for the prompt replies. we think we would enjoy the performance rather than the practice but will explore further, and certainly book before we go.

we noted on tripadvisor some went to the morning exercises but were disappointed but i think as we will be coming from such along way we will see a performance.

my better half has had a long interest in horses, and has judged events too so will have a real appreciation for the whole thing, plus the beautiful surroundings.

so much to see and experience of course and so little time, especially as we age!

some have mentioned renovations/rebuilding works near st stephens? will that be an issue when selecting a hotel?

regards and thanks again.

As a "horse person" I definitely agree you should see a performance and not a practice.We horse people look at things with a much more critical eye than the general public and you would probably be disappointed with the practice.I have watched the practice many times at Tempel Farms and the practice doesn't even come close to a real performance.:D

If you are ever in the Chicago area make plans to see a Lippizan Performance at Tempel Farms in Gurnee, Illinois.Itis only about 40 miles north of Chicago. Many of the riders are from the Spanish Riding School and there has been an excellent breeding program there for many years. IMHO the training and show is better there than in Vienna.It is definitely better than the traveling show.

For you horse people I am sure what you say about seeing a performance is true. For us as music and art lovers the city holds many to many things to have us spend our time on rather than the performance. So many choices in life!

As for the construction at St Stephens... It has been going on for years and years. There are no hotels right up against the church and only one that I know of across from the side. Consult a map, before you book as around the church is often very congested so somewhat further toward the ring would be better:)

For you horse people I am sure what you say about seeing a performance is true. For us as music and art lovers the city holds many to many things to have us spend our time on rather than the performance. So many choices in life!

As for the construction at St Stephens... It has been going on for years and years. There are no hotels right up against the church and only one that I know of across from the side. Consult a map, before you book as around the church is often very congested so somewhat further toward the ring would be better:)

Absolutely,different strokes............................!Vienna must be an absolute dream for music lovers.

Try tripadvisor to find a hotel where you want to be. The maps will show you the location of the hotels.

thanks for the replies. this forum is a wonderful resource.

we are so looking forward to the cruise. it will be a bit longer than the one we did this year which was basel to amsterdam.

it will be our 1st trip to vienna and feel sure there are lots of things to enjoy, and will want to return again for more, if possible.

thanks again.:):):)

Archived