How to get a Free 6 weeks cruise!

ccxnola

Once the headline has been ridiculed - some of the facts start to emerge. I don't know about you folks, but if I paid that kind of money for a cruise I would certainly get my knickers in a knot over being moved to an inside cabin.

It should be interesting when the rest of their story comes out. So far we've heard the Cunard version.

Not saying they deserved anything more than a refund, but an interesting story.

Yes, not a dime more than a refund.

Yes, not a dime more than a refund.

They don't even deserve that. They are looking for a refund because they couldn't sleep?? If thats the case god owes me the past 3 years of my life back, where do I file that lawsuit? I have heard no evidence that the first room was unacceptable. If I were Cunard I would drag this trial out as long as I could just to increase the costs on this couple.

Am I missing something? Did this thread suddenly just materialise here out of nowhere complete with 27 ready-made posts?

Is there some curious worm-hole in the space-time continuum or are we looking at some strange artefact of cyber space?

Maybe it's just an age thing - but I am confused.

J

Am I missing something? Did this thread suddenly just materialise here out of nowhere complete with 27 ready-made posts?

Is there some curious worm-hole in the space-time continuum or are we looking at some strange artefact of cyber space?

Maybe it's just an age thing - but I am confused.

J

Not to worry. Torchwood is on it.

G

So, you pay $100,000 USD for you trip of a lifetime in a cabin where the floor buckles in bad weather accompanied by severe noise for 3 days and many of the above posters feel this is not grounds for complaint or dissatisfaction!

So when you complain you are moved to an inside cabin valued at much less than what you paid for and have to suffer with ongoing engine noise and many here can not understand why these people should be angry.

So these people show their further anger and frustration to Cunard after almost a week of little sleep and rest and are reluctantly moved for only a short time to a penthouse and told they will be moved again in a number of days. Still with no final resolution. So the very expensive dream and fantasy of your trip of a lifetime is well and trully becoming a nightmare.

This sitiuation begins to effect your health so you get the hell out of there as soon as you can.

So far l don't see anything unreasonable in the actions of these people.

I also agree that a refund should be the least of what Cunard's obligations should be!

What the debate in the above posts seems to be, is that Cunard should not be accountable for a penalty payment in failing to deliver on a product they promised through their marketing.

I put it to you that the penalty works towards the cruiseline making all attempts to see this does not happen again.

No penalty, no incentive to act.

If the penalty moves Cunard to act then this is a good thing for all passengers.

These people did not pay for what they recieved. They did not recieve what they paid for.

Cunard was being held to account in fundamentaly a breach of promise, and they lost. As they should have.

Slaming these people is illogical and irrelavent.

They have done nothing wrong at all.

They are seeking redress which they are entitled to do.

It is their right.

It is a Court of law that decided Cunard need to be punished.

May l remind everyone of the many posts on this board regarding the problems on the Victoria and on that particular world cruise.

If Cunard had not handled the matter so badly in the begining then these people would have had no grounds.

But in this instance Cunard stuffed it up badly and now they have to pay.

I am sure this will be a lesson well learned.

So, you pay $100,000 USD for you trip of a lifetime in a cabin where the floor buckles in bad weather accompanied by severe noise for 3 days and many of the above posters feel this is not grounds for complaint or dissatisfaction!

Sorry Jaffa,

but I think most of your comments were aimed (unintentionally) at the wrong group of posters. There is a thread on this board on the same topic and some of the posters on that thread supported the couple's actions, others did not. However, this thread was moved here from another board (Royal Caribbean I think) and none of the people who posted earlier than about post #27 are regular posters on the Cunard forum.

J

Couple Wins Suit for "Stressful" Cruise

A couple claiming their "once in a lifetime cruise" was "stressful" despite penthouse accommodations and a butler, has won a suit against the cruise company for "loss of enjoyment."

Terrence and Cynthia Milner sued Cunard Cruise Lines after abandoning their 15-week cruise on the Queen Victoria after just six weeks, a story by the Telegraph said. The Milner's said the cruise, which cost them nearly $100,000, was plagued by sleepless nights, stormy conditions, mouth ulcers and a noisy cabin, the story said. When the couple complained, they were offered a series of other rooms and eventually moved to a penthouse suite where they said they felt "trapped," according to the Telegraph.

After receiving nearly $80,000 in a refund, the couple won an additional $36,310 in damages.

What the poster neglected to include in their posting is that their original cabin was on one of the ship's expansion joints. These joints allow the ship to bend and move with sea conditions. Apparently on QV these joints are noisy..which isn't that amazing considering the ship has been greatly altered from her original design which originated with Holland America Line. When these people complained and were moved from cabin to cabin..because each of those cabins had been booked by people joining the ship at different segments of the world cruise. Another words folks..Cunard had to move these people..there was not one cabin available for the entire cruise that wasn't booked at some point.

QV has had issues before and if Carnival isn't going to address them then these things are going to happen.

QV has had issues before and if Carnival isn't going to address them then these things are going to happen.

Savoia,

I believe I have read most of your posts on this board. If I haven't, in fact, read all of them, then I don't think there are many that I've missed. You have made it clear beyond any reasonable doubt that you really have little time for Cunard (or Carnival, or Princess - I'm still confused about the exact relationship between the three) and it's also clear that you are not the world's greatest fan of the Vista class ships.

Now, in nothing more than a spirit of amicable enquiry, could I ask you to tell us what your personal preferences are in terms of your favourite Cruise Line and, if possible, your favourite Cruise Ship. I'm certain that there are many posters on the board who would like to know.

I don't think this is an unreasonable question, and I would stress as emphatically as I possibly can that I am not bullying or harassing you in any way whatsoever. Nor do I intend that this post should be construed as disruptive. I am simply genuinely interested to hear what your preferences are, and I apologise profusely if you have already provided this information in the past - if you have, then I must have missed it.

J

The reason this case is in the headlines is that Cunard's appeal has recently been heard by th UK Court of Appeal.

The court has "Reserved Judgement" - meaning that the Judges are considering their verdict on the Appeal, and will deliver their decision soon.

D

What the poster neglected to include in their posting is that their original cabin was on one of the ship's expansion joints. These joints allow the ship to bend and move with sea conditions. Apparently on QV these joints are noisy..which isn't that amazing considering the ship has been greatly altered from her original design which originated with Holland America Line. When these people complained and were moved from cabin to cabin..because each of those cabins had been booked by people joining the ship at different segments of the world cruise. Another words folks..Cunard had to move these people..there was not one cabin available for the entire cruise that wasn't booked at some point.

I wish some people would just understand that a ship is a ship is a ship. And a ship creaks and groans and slurps and burps, particularly when on a rough sea. If people refuse to understand that and they don't want something that does things that are peculiar to ships, then perhaps a nice quiet luxury hotel on land would serve them better and in the process they could possibly avoid getting mouth ulcers in the future. How in heck did those come about anyway?

I wish some people would just understand that a ship is a ship is a ship. And a ship creaks and groans and slurps and burps, particularly when on a rough sea.

None of the Vistas for Costa, Holland America or Carnival have had the same complaints. QV is a heavily modified..larger and heavier..and this ship is starting to develop issues witht he way it was modified. Hopefully Carnival Cruise Lines learns the lessons from the problematic QV when they finish the new Carnival ship, Queen Elizabeth.

QV is a heavily modified..larger and heavier..and this ship is starting to develop issues witht he way it was modified.

Would you care to provide a little more detail about precisely what the issues you refer to consist of. It would also be interesting to know your sources for the information regarding these "issues". I think it's only fair to ask given that a large number of Cruise Critic members have traveled on QV or intend to travel on on her in the future.

J

I wish some people would just understand that a ship is a ship is a ship. And a ship creaks and groans and slurps and burps, particularly when on a rough sea. If people refuse to understand that and they don't want something that does things that are peculiar to ships, then perhaps a nice quiet luxury hotel on land would serve them better and in the process they could possibly avoid getting mouth ulcers in the future. How in heck did those come about anyway?

Gail, I have no idea if this particular case is legitimate or not, but last year I spent 10 days on a ship (not Cunard) in a cabin next to which some sort of winch was operating all night - it make a noise like a foghorn every five minutes all night. I coped because we had booked late and got the last available cabin, but have never been so tired in my life: were I not such an equable bod I might even have become a little grumpy:rolleyes:.

I still enjoyed the cruise, but it did slightly take the shine off things.

C.Soup

PS I have been on QV, and the only complaint heard from anyone we met was about aft vibration, only to be expected. Lovely ship.

Savoia,

I believe I have read most of your posts on this board. If I haven't, in fact, read all of them, then I don't think there are many that I've missed. You have made it clear beyond any reasonable doubt that you really have little time for Cunard (or Carnival, or Princess - I'm still confused about the exact relationship between the three) and it's also clear that you are not the world's greatest fan of the Vista class ships.

Now, in nothing more than a spirit of amicable enquiry, could I ask you to tell us what your personal preferences are in terms of your favourite Cruise Line and, if possible, your favourite Cruise Ship. I'm certain that there are many posters on the board who would like to know.

I don't think this is an unreasonable question, and I would stress as emphatically as I possibly can that I am not bullying or harassing you in any way whatsoever. Nor do I intend that this post should be construed as disruptive. I am simply genuinely interested to hear what your preferences are, and I apologise profusely if you have already provided this information in the past - if you have, then I must have missed it.

J

I agree completely with your post Cruachan, as I too would be most interested in the answers to the questions that you post - assuming that Savoia will extend to you the courtesy of replying to you.

In addition, it would be most enlightening to learn from Savoia the exact location of the expansion joints on QV, and the number of the original cabin that Mr. & Mrs. Milner were occupying, as (to the best of my knowledge) the cabin number has never been disclosed.

I feel that you may not get a worthwhile reply regarding Savoia's personal preferences in terms of a favourite Cruise Line, as several posters have previously asked questions regarding Savoia's cruising history - but no reply has been forthcoming. If it has, then I must have missed it, and I sincerely apologise for this omission, but without this information it is somewhat difficult to haver a meaningful discussion on the subject.

Regards,

David

Gail, I have no idea if this particular case is legitimate or not, but last year I spent 10 days on a ship (not Cunard) in a cabin next to which some sort of winch was operating all night - it make a noise like a foghorn every five minutes all night. I coped because we had booked late and got the last available cabin, but have never been so tired in my life: were I not such an equable bod I might even have become a little grumpy:rolleyes:.

I still enjoyed the cruise, but it did slightly take the shine off things.

C.Soup

PS I have been on QV, and the only complaint heard from anyone we met was about aft vibration, only to be expected. Lovely ship.

Yes C, I can understand that could be tiresome and would certainly tend to make all things that shine very dull indeed, however, would you have ever, in a million years, considered suing because of that noise? Or become traumatized for life or find yourself unable to continue to function as a human being or develop mouth sores? And come on-- traumatized and not able to ever again wear the oodles of gowns the lady brought just for that particular cruise -- so stressed they got sores? I don't believe, if all of this is true, that the couple could have been operating with a full deck to begin with. I hate to see what may have happened to them had they found themselves with the noise and movement of a hurricane. Perhaps Cunard should begin administering psychiatric testing to make sure passengers are stable enough to withstand what might take place aboard ship.

None of the Vistas for Costa, Holland America or Carnival have had the same complaints. QV is a heavily modified..larger and heavier..and this ship is starting to develop issues witht he way it was modified. Hopefully Carnival Cruise Lines learns the lessons from the problematic QV when they finish the new Carnival ship, Queen Elizabeth.

I just wonder how you happen to know that there have been none of the same complaints made? Are you privy to their individual complaint boards? And I really do believe, and correct me if I am wrong, the new Queen Elizabeth is a Cunard ship.

And I really do believe, and correct me if I am wrong, the new Queen Elizabeth is a Cunard ship.

It is, without doubt, a ship.

It is, without doubt, built for Cunard.

Ergo, it is a Cunard Ship.

It is not an ocean liner, any more than Queen Victoria is. But that doesn't stop them from being excellent cruise ships. They are, after all, built for cruising!

A jury gave it to them. A jury is made up of people like you and me. Don't blame the court system blame your neighbors. They are the ones who sit on these stupid jury's. Every time someone wins one of these stupid lawsuits it is because of people on the jusry.

Not, in this case, true. It was a Judge, sitting alone.

...I spent 10 days on a ship (not Cunard) in a cabin next to which some sort of winch was operating all night - it make a noise like a foghorn every five minutes all night.

On every cruise we've done so far, my wife insists that she has found herself sleeping close to something that makes an intermittent, but incessant, noise resembling the sound made by a contented pig after a hearty meal of swill. I have never, myself, heard any evidence to support her contention - perhaps that is why, to date, she hasn't attempted to claim compensation from Cunard. :D

J

On every cruise we've done so far, my wife insists that she has found herself sleeping close to something that makes an intermittent, but incessant, noise resembling the sound made by a contented pig after a hearty meal of swill. I have never, myself, heard any evidence to support her contention - perhaps that is why, to date, she hasn't attempted to claim compensation from Cunard. :D

J

Hee hee. Mr Catsoup's nocturnal rumblings have been likened (by me) to sleeping in the middle of the herd of pigs located at the centre of Brands Hatch during a thunderstorm. Is it a herd of pigs?

This was worse:(.

C.Soup

Archived