Things to do in FLL - Pre Cruise

newlife_2010

I will have a whole day in FLL pre cruise. I am staying at the LaQuinta Inn located at 2620 North 26th Ave. Hollywood, FL 33020. I will be there January 1st. What are my dining, entertainment and shopping options around the hotel? Would it be possible for me to take the water taxi somewhere? What are some inexpensive things I can do? Again, I have the whole day so I am open.

How much will cab fare be from the hotel to the cheesecake factory on Las Olas Blvd? Or does public transportation go there from the hotel?

There are a bunch of stores a few blocks from La Quinta: Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, Big Lots, Barnes & Noble, etc. There are a few chain restaurants: Ale House, TGIFridays, Sweet Tomatoes, etc. You can dine and play games at the Dave & Busters arcade. It is about a 15 minute ride to the nearest water taxi stop under the SE 17th St bridge. Cheesecake Factory is about a 20 minute ride from the hotel.

There are a bunch of stores a few blocks from La Quinta: Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, Big Lots, Barnes & Noble, etc. There are a few chain restaurants: Ale House, TGIFridays, Sweet Tomatoes, etc. You can dine and play games at the Dave & Busters arcade. It is about a 15 minute ride to the nearest water taxi stop under the SE 17th St bridge. Cheesecake Factory is about a 20 minute ride from the hotel.

Thanks for the info

Thanks. How much will cab fare be from my hotel to the Cheesecake Factory? I am debating on renting a car at $55 for the day. Or how much is public transportation? Can I take it from my hotel to Las Olas?

I'd say that cab fare would be about $35 each way (if not $40.00). Public buses here suck (that is, they do not run very frequently and are often crowded with standing room only). But, to answer your question, the bus is $1.50 per person each trip.

I'd say that cab fare would be about $35 each way (if not $40.00). Public buses here suck (that is, they do not run very frequently and are often crowded with standing room only). But, to answer your question, the bus is $1.50 per person each trip.

Maybe a car is in my best interest. Is there a rental agency at Port Everglades?

Thanks. How much will cab fare be from my hotel to the Cheesecake Factory? I am debating on renting a car at $55 for the day. Or how much is public transportation? Can I take it from my hotel to Las Olas?

You would have to take 2 buses (bus 12 to bus 1).

On Google Maps, it says it will take an hour to get to Cheesecake Factory on the bus, lol.

Yes, at least an hour would be about right, since you have to wait for 2 buses and stop every 3 blocks. You would be better off taking buses or a cab to downtown Hollywood and walk around and find somewhere interesting to eat.

Yes, at least an hour would be about right, since you have to wait for 2 buses and stop every 3 blocks. You would be better off taking buses or a cab to downtown Hollywood and walk around and find somewhere interesting to eat.

Thanks. I am forgoing the idea. I am going to walk somewhere nearby or order pizza. I want to rest the day before cruising and hold on to my money.

Thanks. I am forgoing the idea. I am going to walk somewhere nearby or order pizza. I want to rest the day before cruising and hold on to my money.

Suggestion: Try Ale House. It's a casual sports bar/restaurant and they have decent food and serve til late. It's a few blocks from the hotel in the south section of Oakwood Plaza, near the cinema.

The weather is so gorgeous down here this winter!

Suggestion: Try Ale House. It's a casual sports bar/restaurant and they have decent food and serve til late. It's a few blocks from the hotel in the south section of Oakwood Plaza, near the cinema.

The weather is so gorgeous down here this winter!

I can not wait to experience it. I am from Chicago - it was in the teens right now, lol

The Ft Lauderdale water taxi is LOTS & LOTS of FUN!!! We have used it twice. You can google "water taxi in Ft. Lauderdale" and get the route, map and schedule. We never got off at any of the stops; instead we stayed on for a full round trip. There is a place to get on behind the Pier 66 hotel, and one on the south side of the intercoastal. We got on/off at far north end at Shooter's Bar & Restaurant, because there is a nice parking garage there across street from the restaurant.

Another popular boat ride & dinner is Jungle Queen! I took this back in the 60's and of course, more recently, but it's also a GREAT activity. Google it too for details.

In the late 70's & 80's my parents lived in Ft. Lauderdale in a beachfront highrise condo. So we visited there many many times before we ever heard of cruise ships!!!

Archived