An Oasis of Opportunities Review with Pictures

RicardoC

I'm still working on my review but could not wait so hope you guys like and sorry If I speak(or write) too much :D

An Oasis of Opportunities

2007853110105937571oDQvkJ_th.jpg

Background: I’m 15 years old who has been to 13 cruises in several different lines, from the old Sea Wind Crown in 1997 to the latest megaships like the Liberty of the Seas in 2007 and Celebrity Solstice earlier this year. My parents and I love cruising, and like to cruise for both the ships and to explore new places, and this passion made us cruise 4 times only this year, a record that I hope to keep increasing every year. I’ve been personally tracking Oasis’ development since it was only a brief picture with the name Project Genesis, and neither I nor no one else knew what was coming, except that it would be 45% than the Freedom Class of ships. In January 2008, in my first month at school after I moved from Brazil to the US, USA Today launched their contest to name the ships, and I participated with my parents, checking their websites every Friday morning to see if we were one of the happy finalists, which unfortunately did not happen. What happened was that in my first couple months in a new country where I did not know anyone I got really addicted to CC and Oasis, and my next step was to convince my parents to go on Oasis’ inauguration cruise, and I had 6 months to do so until August when Royal would start selling them. After several tries and visits to the Oasis website, I convinced my dad! Ok, he still thought it would be crazy to book a cruise over an year before but we did book out Boardwalk balcony on Deck 9 for the 7 night cruise in December 12, 2009. As all of you may know, the 7 night was changed for Dec 5 and the 4 night Labadee Extravaganza cruise was added, all that while we were on our New Year’s cruise on Carnival Miracle, so you can imagine the stress and preoccupation if we would get our room in Dec 5 and if we could make it for Dec 1st as well. As the months were passing we had other opportunities of cruising that could make us not that crazy about Oasis, but in September, just over 3 months before the cruise my school changed the absences rules, which meant we could not make it to the 7 night, sad but ok, we still kept with the Labadee Extravaganza, and I am sorry but I needed to write all the background so you could have an idea of how important this cruise would be for me as it would certainly be for most of the other 4797 people boarding last Tuesday in Port Everglades.

2196328190105937571UrMjIz_th.jpg

The Terminal 18 was well done! Actually looks more like an airport than a cruise terminal, especially the center where they have all the 90 check-in boxes. Very well organized, one side for part of the Decks, the other one of other, and after security check around 5 or 6 lines for each Deck. Considering Suites have an entrance apart only for them, and the number of Suites they have onboard, I guess there was never major lines. Due to the fact I had to go for my first period at school and there was a accident at Florida’s Turnpike, we got at the terminal at around 2, and no one was at any lines, making it smooth and fast. The older lady seemed a bit lost in that gigantic terminal with all the new technology, to the point she forgot to put the two holes on my sea pass card indicating I was minor, but I’m a good boy, and did not take any advantage of that :P She took our picture, gave us our cards, and after we took a family picture by the sign “Oasis of the Seas Inaugural Season” we headed to the ship. I was so nervous that did not even know what side to go….even with a huge sign written TO SHIP and arrows for both sides….hahahaha bye land, and nice to meet you OASIS!

2564103130105937571OKewTa_th.jpg

2610412440105937571fbYRhX_th.jpg

SHE is just incredible. I could never describe in words my feeling when entering the ship in the middle of Royal Promenade on Deck 5. The sun was shining and illuminating the entire “street” from the 3 glass domes that stand in the middle of Central Park, and the first thing that I saw and almost made me cry was the 3 statues painting the word GENESIS just over the entrance door. We then walked to the aft lobby of elevators and got the first panoramic one to Deck 9.

2418749370105937571ZltObP_th.jpg

Boardwalk Cabin 9705 was pretty close to the aft elevators, considering the size of the ship. We entered the room and ran to the balcony so we had the first sight of the Boardwalk….unbelievable!

2833149400105937571eYIXWW_th.jpg

The balcony was of a pretty good size, with a table and two chairs, but the dividers were not as effective due to the curved form of the balconies and the privacy was zero, which made us agree that next time an ocean view will do better, but it was a cool and unique experience, and there is no major problem unless you like to be on your balcony naked…..which is not our case :P So the rooms are pretty good, true they are smaller than other ships’ but the space is better used so I guess the space you have to use is about the same. The lifejackets are not in your room anymore, but in your assembly station, which also gives you more space.

2266800230105937571ETqpOQ_th.jpg

A plus was my sofa bed that opened to be the size of my parent’s one at night, and one of my favorites at Royal’s newer ships, the bathroom was well decorated and had the showers with door as opposed to other ships that have the curtain…urrgggh hate them.

2999432390105937571AdnQuY_th.jpg

Nice room….of course I would not complain with a Loft next time thou….hope dad reads this :P

FOOD was really good onboard. I’d say I little bit better than in other Royal Caribbean ships we’ve been to. We tried to try as many dining venues as possible so there you go. Windjammer at first looked pretty small for that size of ship, actually it did since the deck plans were released, but I turned to see that they had so many other options and everyone was so spread around that the size was ok. The new location just above the pool areas in one side and Sports Zone in the other is really good strategically for a day at sea, and the views are awesome as well. The food was ok, but nothing special, I don’t know if it was because we were there later but I thought they would have more stating and variety….NOPE. We ended up not going back there since there were so many different choices and it was the most crowded restaurant onboard. OPUS was the prettiest MDR I’ve seen on a ship. It is on Decks 3,4, and 5 and has really impressive design with a huge chandelier in the center and details in brown, beige, and blue all around. The wine rooms before the dining rooms were a great idea and a nice touch. Food was excellent as always and they had from new options to old ones I’ve seen on my last 3 cruises lol. Service was very good, really fast in the first night while I thought it would be a mess, slower in the second night but when we told our waiter on the third night that we had a show he was nice and fast and we were out of there in one hour.

2377304690105937571gRjHOs_th.jpg

2693664670105937571jhVMDM_th.jpg

Giovanni’s Table is the new Italian restaurant that has nothing to do with Portofino. It is located in the Central Park and there is a 10 dollar charge for lunch and 15 for dinner (the dinner menu has some additions over the lunch one). The restaurant is pretty good but the menu is different than the style of Portofino, which has more options of fish and seafood while Giovanni’s has a lot of chicken and chicken besides the pasta of course.

2438468870105937571FlvOGE_th.jpg

Chops Grille is really good as always. We decided to have dinner there the last night to celebrate. The menu is pretty much the same as the one in other ships but it is in the middle of Central Park and it is 25 dollars. We did not try 150 Central Park cause 35 would be too much, and it was actually the only specialty restaurant that was never full. Izumi seemed to be good but it is a la carte price and we did not have time but maybe next time…it is located on Deck 16 by Windjammer. Seafood Shack is located at the Boardwalk on Deck 6 and has a 8 dollar charge which I would add 2 and have lunch at Giovanni’s. It was ok but far from good. On the other side there is the Johnny Rockets that is a classic at Royal and we also did not have time to go.

2592826410105937571hJqjaO_th.jpg

We absolutely loved the Park Café that is….guess what?? At Central Park as well. They have nice paninis for breakfast and yogurts as well (had breakfast twice there and lunch once) and it is all included.

2373576660105937571GOimMr_th.jpg

The Solarium Bistro is included for breakfast and lunch and paid for dinner. The breakfast buffet was pretty good and light the one day we had there, but the lunch did not seem to be that interesting, so we did not try it. There is also the Wipeout Café that serves burgers, fried, etc by the Sports Zone, Café Promenade with the sandwiches of always, Sorrento’s with a good variety of pizzas that we did not have time to go, Café Mondo with sandwiches in the middle of the Promenade, Donut shop and Ice Cream Parlor at Boardwalk and Vitality Café at the entrance of the Spa and Fitness area….yes….A LOT of dining options.

ENTERTAINMENT onboard is certainly not overshadowed by the food or the size. The shows are the best I’ve seen onboard, and what is pretty cool is that they are all in different “atmospheres”. While Oasis of Dreams is outside, warmer, with colorful waters and different special effects and awesome performers in the AquaTheatre that is pretty amazing,

2287712740105937571qbQWGe_th.jpg

2750107690105937571sgTEuO_th.jpg

2519116840105937571vhwyec_th.jpg

Hairspray really feels like you are in a elegant Broadway theatre, which is the gigantic Opal, and is a full musical that I cannot forget….still got those songs…hahahah….

2689559000105937571sutSLL_th.jpg

Frozen in Time is located at the modern Studio B with the colorful lights that together with the ice has a different feeling than the other shows. I recommend anyone to pre-reserve all shows and restaurants online so you don’t have to worry about reservations while onboard….and go to all the shows…they are worth it. I’d also visit Dazzles, located on Decks 8 and 9 where they have a band singing live in front of the dance floor that has lights on the floor and a huge glass wall with a nice view of the Boardwalk.

2771053900105937571yJtGqj_th.jpg

Viking Crown Lounge is my favorite in every RCI ship, we went there almost every day, and I recommend it especially when they have singers live as well with a nice view of the Pool areas and Central Park from Deck 17.

Good review ,I did however expect more report on the activities,zipline, surfing boardwalk only because you started with your age .My children and the children traveling with us would be your age group .Where there a lot of children on your outing.

Did you use WiFi on the ship? Is it available everywhere, including in the cabins? How is the respsonse time?

Thanks for the great review and pictures - I really enjoyed reading it! Do you have pictures of an additional cabins? I am looking for a "D"...

Did you use WiFi on the ship? Is it available everywhere, including in the cabins? How is the respsonse time?

Thanks for the great review and pictures - I really enjoyed reading it! Do you have pictures of an additional cabins? I am looking for a "D"...

We did not use the wifi cause It was only 4 nights and we wanted to enjoy as much of the ship as we could....but as far as I know all cabins have it and you can go to the internet cafe....don't know about the public areas thou....I didn't even think about it actually....sorry :o

Did you just have a normal balcony? I have a d8 booked and I have never had a balcony before, should I switch to O.V. what were you talking about w/the dividers?

We had a Boardwalk balcony....and since they all are curved, the divider does not really divide the balconies giving you privacy....but you also have the balconies from the other side of the Boardwalk so it would not make a difference as well....u know....:)

Thanks for taking the time for your "Great Review" and photos. You are very lucky to be able to cruise so often. You sound like a "PRO". Happy You enjoyed your Cruise.

Thank you and yes....I'm really happy that i can cruise a lot ;)....but I'm still far from a pro.....hahahaha....there were people in their 200th, 240th, and even 267th cruise onboard!!!:eek:

Good review ,I did however expect more report on the activities,zipline, surfing boardwalk only because you started with your age .My children and the children traveling with us would be your age group .Where there a lot of children on your outing.

I'm not done yet....still working on more but I'm tired by now....maybe will take a shower and write more in a few....the Sports Zone is my next...almost done writting that ;) and there were some teens and kids...not that many because everyone is still at school....but I did not go to the teen facilities due to our limited time and the fact we had shows reserved for every night....but I'll write about the activities....dont worry :D

nice review..and I hate you..that many cruises at 15..not fair....ok its not hate but jealousy.....

Hahahah don't hate me please :p:cool:

glad you took it the way it was meant...I worried after that you might not realize it was a joke..there are some mean people on these boards....

you can use your love of cruising for good...unlike me my wife was never into history...I asked her about that earlier today and she said it was because she never thought she would get anywheres....now that we have done a lot of med cruises she is into history....it now has a personal connection..

take advantage and learn the history of the places you will travel to

Hi Ricardo: I'm so impressed with your review and that you're only 15! I have 2 sons 14 and 16 and we are booked on the Oasis this summer. I was just worried about the crowds, but sure sounds like fun. Hope you didn't miss too much school.

How would you compare it to the Soltice? I'd like to try Celebrity for a change, but not sure if I'll like it. Please give me some insight.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Being so interested in hearing the reviews and seeing pics of the Oasis I appreciate the time you took to put your review together.

Good job.

I always enjoy reading the posts of our CC teens.

You are so blessed to have these traveling opportunities.

Glad you at least had the chance to be on the 4 night Oasis cruise and not have to miss the Oasis all together.

Take care.

Laura

Great job Ricardo- loved your photo album, and that is a great shot of your dad wiping out on the flowrider!

Are you sure you're just 15?? ha ha :D just kidding! you have a good eye for photos and for detail in your posts.

Hey all how are you doing?

Thanks for all the nice replies! Glad you guys like it! I love to take pics....especially when I'm traveling (In July we spent 1 month in Europe with a 10 night cruise in the Baltic and I took over 3000 of them :eek: but I really did not hav time to write a really long review about it....hahahah....during winter break maybe :p) and its nice you guys like them!!! I enjoy sharing them as well as seeing others'.....so I'm not done yet....so wait for the rest....I was just too busy today keeping up with school....just finish everything for today :(...but I'll do as much to finnish or ate least post more tomorrow....I need some relaxing time now ;)

Hi Ricardo: I'm so impressed with your review and that you're only 15! I have 2 sons 14 and 16 and we are booked on the Oasis this summer. I was just worried about the crowds, but sure sounds like fun. Hope you didn't miss too much school.

How would you compare it to the Soltice? I'd like to try Celebrity for a change, but not sure if I'll like it. Please give me some insight.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Thanks! The crowds were only in some places and sometimes...nothing to worry about(of course we had "

only" 4800 people in this first voyage....I don't know about 6000 expected for the high seasons....but everyone kind of spreads throughout the ship and they have so many different areas, restaurants, pools, etc. that it should not be a problem :) Really there is no comparisson of Oasis with any other ship...its a different ship and a different cruise experience....but we loved the Solstice! Its in my future cruise plans to go back on one of the ships from that class or at least try another ship from X....their food is awesome....as well as the service....and the ships seemed modern than the RCI ones...until we boarded Oasis that really equals to the Solstice talking about interior design and technology....I say GO FOR IT!!! U said u hav a 14 and a 16 yo....there should not be problems especially if you choose the Caribbean....as opposed to what I thought X is trying to catch the younger public as well now with their newest ships....and from what I saw its working....well it worked for me...hahahaha...Happy Holidays for you guys too :D

I've read on these boards that there is no Internet Cafe - I think someone called it a glaring omission.

Well I didn't use it but apparently its on Deck 9 by the Fwd Atrium....and I already read a review of someone who used it.....not totally sure thou....

No, there definitely is no internet café. But during the pre inaugurals they had set up two inside cabins with computers (on deck 7 and 9 forward). To use the WiFi you´re supposed to log in via your TV and the wireless keyboard. You can also go online directly using the TV/keyboard in your stateroom. There are 3 computers plus one printer set up in the Seven Hearts Card Room. Another printer is available in the Concierge Lounge.

steamboats

Archived