Ship board photographs and the ecology

I've been cruising for decades. The pictures we bought years ago have faded very badly even though they were properly cared for. Too bad as they were of long dead family members.

Even photos taken 10-12 years ago don't look as good as they once did. I'm not buying any more onboard photos.

I've been cruising for decades. The pictures we bought years ago have faded very badly even though they were properly cared for. Too bad as they were of long dead family members.

Even photos taken 10-12 years ago don't look as good as they once did. I'm not buying any more onboard photos.

I don't know what the technology is that they use to print them. What you describe reminds me of the early days of Kodacolor (remember that?) with the unstable dyes. I love the CD idea for $150.00. Put everything on the CD and let the passenger do whatever they want with it. That would require some degree of control. You would need to have your cruise card scanned each time you were photographed. The last time we were on RCI that is exactly what they did. There was no charge, but it gave them a way to track your photos.

My favorite was a photo that we had taken on our anniversary. It was taken on the 23rd but had the 22nd on it. I contacted the photo shop and asked them to re-do it. The next day we had a photo dated the 23nd.

Bon Voyage

So, you're all dressed up, looking good, and someone, no actually several professional photographers want to snap a shot on the chance that you will purchase it. Count me in! Where else could you get a professional sitting and 8 x 10 for $25? Not to mention that it is also a reminder of the cruise as opposed to a sitting at the local Sears or Walmart.

I would agree that it may seem like a waste of paper, but it is recycled. But beware, the prints that are published are color corrected to the max. We bought our 8 x 10 along with the jpg on a disc. This gave us the rights to reproduce the photo, however it was necessary to severely adjust the color settings to match the original.

Considering all the other expenses of cruising, $25 for a professional portrait of great looking people to hang on the wall seems fairly reasonable.

Happy cruising!

I agree that the formal photos can sometimes be worth buying, although the quality of the 'professional' photography varies a lot. It's all the other photos that are often of questionable value.

It wasn't so bad when you could buy different sizes, not just 8x10's (although most of the 8x10's on our recent cruise were that size in name only), and different prices.

I would have bought a couple of photos if they were plain old 5x7's without all kinds of distracting and tacky designs around them making them into an 8x10 sheet. But not for $20 when I can take our own photos for basically nothing and pick the best.

Just returned from the Oasis Jan 2, 2010 sailing. An 8 x 10 photo was 19.95 and if you buy 4 or more you get a photo holder that has a picture of the Oasis in it. We did buy a couple of the 8 x 10 photos because the wife really liked them. I on the other hand (you may call me a cheapster but that is okay) opened up our photo folio and took photos of the photos that I liked. I have already printed some of them out and unless I told you it was a photo of a photo, you would not know. I think I saved about 120 buck on this. They should have all of the photos displayed to your stateroom TV for you to veiw and eliminate the over printing of photos. You look at them on the TV in the state room and if you like it, you select it for printing in the size your desire. No wated paper. Yeah recycling is great but there is a cost to recycle also. Sorrey to rant an rave.

When I went to Sandals, everything was done digitially, and they had several stations you could view them at. Basically, you got a ticket that you presented to view the pics. I don't see why the cruise lines couldn't follow this model. It was effective and it saves ink. Also, one other nice thing was that we were able to purchase a disk and then print as many as we wanted from our home computer.

So, you're all dressed up, looking good, and someone, no actually several professional photographers want to snap a shot on the chance that you will purchase it. Count me in! Where else could you get a professional sitting and 8 x 10 for $25? Not to mention that it is also a reminder of the cruise as opposed to a sitting at the local Sears or Walmart.

I would agree that it may seem like a waste of paper, but it is recycled. But beware, the prints that are published are color corrected to the max. We bought our 8 x 10 along with the jpg on a disc. This gave us the rights to reproduce the photo, however it was necessary to severely adjust the color settings to match the original.

Considering all the other expenses of cruising, $25 for a professional portrait of great looking people to hang on the wall seems fairly reasonable.

Happy cruising!

I totally agree. I am a picture person. I've decorated my house with both pictures I've taken and ones taken professionally. It is not often that I get my whole family in front of a camera. I love having a professional giving us memories to take with us and enjoy long after the cruise is over. Plus...I am the photographer in my family. If a professional doesn't take some pictures of me then I might not have proof I was actually there! I've only cruised once. I don't regret for a moment the money I spent on those pictures. They are wonderful framed reminders of our vacation. My second cruise will be in April. I'm already saving up so we can have more pictures taken!!!:rolleyes:

The one assumption that some of you are making here is that these photographers are "professionals". I would really like to know what kind of training they receive. The quality of the photos that we've had taken have varied from excellent to pretty bad.

Yes, I agree that a formal picture might be worth the $25.00. I don't feel that a $25.00 photo of me and a potted palm (not my wife :D) is worth the price.

$25 for a professional portrait of great looking people

well see, that's our problem - we aren't so great looking anymore. :D

I don't feel that a $25.00 photo of me and a potted palm is worth the price
It might be to somebody else. DH's father was a professional piano player. On a CCL formal night we had pictures taken with a piano, some of both of us and then by ourselves. The one of DH with the piano was terrfic and made a great Christmas present for his mom, she started crying when she opened it. Well worth the money for that one.

But otherwise I agree, most of them are overpriced and not worth it. Wonder how many I will come home with next week? :p

Archived