Cash or CC while Ports of Call?

newlife_2010

I have solidified that I am putting up a cash deposit on my Sign and Sail Account.

My next question - what about in the ports of call? I will rather not use CC at all and leave them in my stateroom?

If I use cash, how much cash do you recommend taking into port? Do you suggest bringing a CC just in case? Do ports of call accept Visa Gift cards?

I read a post a while ago about calling your CC companies to tell them you are traveling abroad? What security does this give you?

We usually will pay for small purchases and taxi fares with cash while in port and have used our credit card for other purchases without any issues over the last 5 years.

I call my credit card companies prior to leaving and give them the dates and countries we will be visiting. This alerts them that we will be making valid purchases in those locations only on those dates. They apparently do review foreign transactions prior to authorization being given.

That being said we pre-pay for excursions when possible and really don't spend a ton when in port.

Do ports of call accept Visa Gift cards?

I would check the fine print on that. I know you can't use AMEX gift cards outside of the US, but I'm not sure about Visa or MC. I would check that out before making the assumption you'll be okay.

I have solidified that I am putting up a cash deposit on my Sign and Sail Account.

My next question - what about in the ports of call? I will rather not use CC at all and leave them in my stateroom?

If I use cash, how much cash do you recommend taking into port? Do you suggest bringing a CC just in case?

The amount of cash would depend on what you plan to buy.

Use a credit card for major stores and purchases. For "trinkets', just bring cash. We always leave the credit card that our account is "attached" to in the safe on the ship, and take a different card for purchases. Don't use a "gift" or "debit" card. We don't bring alot of cash ashore...maybe $50-100....

Bring smaller bills ashore, so that you won't be getting local money as change!

On our Sept. cruise (our first) we prepaid for all of our excursions, and took travelers checks with us on the ship. The first night before a port visit, we cashed $200 in TC and took that into port with us (it was hubby and I along with two teen daughters). That was MORE than enough to buy all the goodies we wanted. After that, we'd cash enough to still keep about the same amount for each port...

The amount of cash would depend on what you plan to buy.

Yes!!!!

I have a CC with no foreign exchange fee, so I use that wherever I can.

Bingo!

What is it you're trying to avoid? The foreign exchange fees? If so, look around. You can find a card like aggieastrosfan's pretty easily! Are you worried about liability? If so, read your card contract. The most you're gonna be liable for is likely $50 and most cards are less. Are you worried about being refused approval? Call the credit company before leaving as others have suggested!

We bring a few credit cards and spread the debt around!!

Archived