Newbie intro and question on pricing

cthip

Hello,

My wife an I are planning to do an Antarctic cruise/expedition on the PAII in early 2011. This will be our first cruise on Silversea, and our first cruise ever! This board has been an outstanding resource so far, and I was hoping that some of you could give some additional guidance with regards to booking and pricing.

A Silversea agent has reserved a cabin for us in January 2011 at a 60% discount--from all I've read on this board, this seems to be the best pricing available. However, the "Published Fare" for our voyage in 2011 is 75% to 125% (depending on which dates in 2010 I'm using for comparison) higher than the Published Fares for the same itineraries in 2010. After applying discounts (60% for 2011 vs. 35% for remaining voyages in 2010), my final price is 8% to 29% higher than the 2010 fares.

It is understandable that prices will increase from year to year, and an 8% increase in final price between 2010 and 2011 is certainly reasonable, but the massive increase in full Published Fares seems suspect to me. Is this part of Silversea's strategy to offer huge discounts (60%), but increase the Published Fares at the same time? Does this mean that later in the year, people will only receive 35% discounts off of the same Published Fare that I was given, or has Silversea historically reduced the Published Fare as they reduce the discount?

Overall, the final price that I have given is still a fair one. There are only two companies doing Antarctica for less--and they don't offer half the amenities that Silversea does. However I had been led to believe that booking early was the best way to get the best pricing on Silversea. Does any of the information I've given seem unusual, and do you have any advice as to how I should proceed?

Thanks.

P.S. I've noticed that there is not a lot of talk about pricing on these boards, so I've avoided the raw numbers and given only percentages for comparison. If this is inappropriate for this board (or if more specific detail is requested) please let me know and I will edit this post.

I wouldn't get confused with discounts and list pricing. The only number which matters is the bottom line. Book early and secure the suite of your choice and then monitor pricing as months go by. If SIlversea lowers prices call them and they will adjust accordingly. If you use a TA have them do the spade work. Once you enter the 120 day penality period you are usually locked in to the current price. Remember the 120 days is SS, other major cruise lines are as low as 75 days.

I'm sure others on this thread will give you further advice and some will be in conflict with mine. Such is life. Nothing teaches like experience and I have 40 years and counting.

My wife an I are planning to do an Antarctic cruise/expedition on the PAII in early 2011. This will be our first cruise on Silversea, and our first cruise ever!
Unless you are well experienced on other types of ships and know that you can handle the waves, you should not think about starting with Antarctica. The waves through the Drake passage is such that you need a bed belt to keep yourself on it. You may be in for more than you can handle!

One thing that no one seems to have pointed out clearly is that many travel agents will beat the fares you are getting directly from Silversea. I cannot help thinking that it is the fact that we are used to dealing directly with airlines that leads many to the erroneous conclusion that they are better off dealing directly with a cruise line.

This is just not the case. Find a TA that is familiar with Silversea and books a lot of cabins with them. That way, your TA will be able to answer all your questions and keep an eye out for fare changes. If the fare goes down, you will in almost all cases get the lower fare. Our TA, who handles mostly luxury cruise lines, always is at least 5 percent lower than dealing directly with the cruise lines, and while most of the better cruise lines have fairly good in-house agents, they are not as good as a good TA.

As the question was on fares and not whether or not to use a TA I didn't comment on that aspect. There is really no reason under the sun to book direct with a cruise line. A good TA (the key word here is GOOD) will service your cruise as it it where their own. You will always speak to the same person*** as opposed to never speaking to the same cruise line telephone voice. (Here Silversea is a bit unique due to its size and you might very well speak to the same person.) You will never get a lower price by booking direct, nor will you ever get a "thank you" in the form of a shipboard credit. I ignore such common gifts as wine because it would be akin to adding salt to the ocean when wine is complimentary. And should you have already booked and paid the deposit you can still have the booking transferred to an agent. This option usually entails a written request up to final payment date.

Motion sickness is another matter. But my advice is book lowest deck possible, amidship, if you have a concern. Most people get sick with a 'rolling' motion as opposed to 'pitching'.

Have a great cruise. NO! Your intinerary is a VOYAGE!

***excempt the online agents

Hi cthip

Welcome to the SS board!

I agree with everything said here but also am surprised that you would be doing Antarctica as a first cruise. I hope that you do not get seasick or that you are prepared for it. The region is notorious for bad weather as meow! mentions above.

Cheers

ging466

Personally, I think it's great to do Antarctica, whether on a first cruise or a fiftieth, Some people like to travel and care more about where they are going than how many inches there are in the stateroom between the bed and the window. Antarctica is one of the wonders of the world to see and I'm sure the OP will handle the seas no differently from a seasoned cruiser.

Thanks to all of you for your responses so far.

Regarding seasickness--my wife and I are both susceptible to motion sickness and we are aware that this will not be a normal cruise. Thankfully, meclizine has worked very well in the past for us and we will definitely get scopolamine patches that will hopefully keep us reasonably comfortable even through the notoriously rough seas of the Drake Passage. As some have guessed, this is an adventure for us and a personal goal for my wife, so we'll endure whatever discomfort necessary to enjoy the trip and the destination.

I do generally make all of my own travel arrangements, but I will check out some travel agents as suggested. I have one in mind, but if any of you have a travel agent that you would recommend I would appreciate it if you would PM me their contact information. I guess my only regret would be that the Silversea agent, who has actually been VERY responsive and helpful via e-mail, would lose the sale. Still, if somebody else can provide me better service and pricing then it's a simple business decision to make.

Hi cthip

This is good news....sea sickness is debilitating and can spoil a cruise if you aren't prepared but it looks like you have it all under control and it will be a wonderful trip.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to recommend TAs on this board. You will need to do that legwork yourself.

Hope you have a great adventure!

Cheers

ging466

Regarding seasickness--my wife and I are both susceptible to motion sickness and we are aware that this will not be a normal cruise. Thankfully, meclizine has worked very well in the past for us and we will definitely get scopolamine patches that will hopefully keep us reasonably comfortable even through the notoriously rough seas of the Drake Passage. .
A pair of middle aged sisters, our acquaintances went on a similar voyage aboard another expedition ship, and despite all preparations, they vomited so badly that they couldn't even keep their medicine "in"! Nonetheless, they enjoyed company with the penguins and what not, and did not truly regret as it was "once in a lifetime". So if you go, be psychologically besides medically prepared!

Unfortunately we are not allowed to recommend TAs on this board. You will need to do that legwork yourself

Oops--sorry I didn't know. I can't seem to find the "Edit" button otherwise I'd remove the recommendation request from my post.

Thanks for the heads-up.

A pair of middle aged sisters, our acquaintances went on a similar voyage aboard another expedition ship, and despite all preparations, they vomited so badly that they couldn't even keep their medicine "in"! Nonetheless, they enjoyed company with the penguins and what not, and did not truly regret as it was "once in a lifetime". So if you go, be psychologically besides medically prepared!

We are definitely "psychologically" preparing--more than a year before our trip!

Our plan is to start oral meds 2-3 days before departure. Since we'll take them for our flights to BsAs and Ushuaia anyway they'll be easy to continue. If we get the sense that the oral medication isn't going to cut it, we can start the transdermal patches. Hopefully that will do the trick!

We are definitely "psychologically" preparing--more than a year before our trip! Our plan is to start oral meds 2-3 days before departure. Since we'll take them for our flights to BsAs and Ushuaia anyway they'll be easy to continue. If we get the sense that the oral medication isn't going to cut it, we can start the transdermal patches. Hopefully that will do the trick!

Sounds like a good plan. I get very seasick myself but experiencing the big seas is also part of the adventure. When I went around Cape Horn, I was expecting bad conditions but it was flat...and so I was disappointed! :D

Cheers

ging466

There are people who vomit in the Med, the Caribbean and in their bathtub. This should not deter people from an exceptional itinerary if they take the proper precautions.

I'm one who gets sick sitting in the backseat between my house and the grocery store:o. As a result, I wear a scopolamine patch on EVERY cruise. My Doc recommended that I try it out the first time while still at home, because there can be side effects. Also recommended that if I planned to drink alcohol on the trip, I also try that during the test period. The mfg directions recommend NO alcohol, but my Doc is a realist. Finally, you should put the patch onto your skin at least 6 hours prior to any motion. It's a preventative, not a sickness treatment. For me, it's a wonderful medicine.

BOOKED! It's probably too early to start a "Roll-Call" thread for a January 2011 voyage, but we're so excited! Where can I get one of those fancy countdown timers to put in my signature?

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I did end up going with a local agent who comes highly recommended and has worked with Silversea before. Saved some money on the cruise, although not quite the 5% others have gotten, and a ton on airfare.

The conversation to transfer the booking from the Silversea agent to my agent was a little awkward, but the Silversea agent was very professional and gracious. To confirm--Silversea agents do receive some bonus compensation based on bookings, and the Silversea agent in this case still receives a partial bonus even though I transferred to another agent.

I'm one who gets sick sitting in the backseat between my house and the grocery store:o. As a result, I wear a scopolamine patch on EVERY cruise. My Doc recommended that I try it out the first time while still at home, because there can be side effects. Also recommended that if I planned to drink alcohol on the trip, I also try that during the test period. The mfg directions recommend NO alcohol, but my Doc is a realist. Finally, you should put the patch onto your skin at least 6 hours prior to any motion. It's a preventative, not a sickness treatment. For me, it's a wonderful medicine.

Thanks for that info. We'll definitely try the patch at home first, and if we like it we'll probably just use it for the entire trip as a preventative.

BOOKED! It's probably too early to start a "Roll-Call" thread for a January 2011 voyage, but we're so excited! Where can I get one of those fancy countdown timers to put in my signature?

I started a roll call for our cruise really early and there's been a deafening silence:o Never mind - I'm sure we'll both have a great time anyway!

I puzzled about the countdown clock too but all you have to do is click on 'Quick Links' in the bar above the thread then 'User Control Panel' then you'll see 'Countdown Clocks' in the middle of the bar above in the new page - I did it so it can't be that difficult:D

I puzzled about the countdown clock too but all you have to do is click on 'Quick Links' in the bar above the thread then 'User Control Panel' then you'll see 'Countdown Clocks' in the middle of the bar above in the new page - I did it so it can't be that difficult:D

thanks!

Archived