Differences in Dog Sledding Excursions

Pugdog007

RCCL's website lists the following dog sledding excursions:

1. Skagway - Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing for $420

2. Skagway - Musher's camp and Dog Sledding for $110

3. Juneau - Glacier Dogsled Adventure $434

Anyone take any of these that can offer a review? I don't see the difference in them.

Is it best to book through the ship or through a local tour operator?

#2 is the one that is very different from the other two ... not just in price. Options 1 & 3 are dogsledding on snow, which necessitates a trip to the glacier during the summer months. So you get a helicopter flight over the glaciers + a landing on a snowy area of the glacier. #2 involves no flight, no glacier, and no snow. The sled has wheels and runs on gravel and/or dirt.

The helicopter versions get rave reviews both for the flight experience and the dogsledding. Most will tell you to pick Juneau or Skagway based on what fits with your schedule and other things you want to do. Most everyone here will tell you that the top excursion is a helicopter glacier landing of some type -- whether you end up on snow with the dogs or walking/hiking through the ice structures. Helicopter dogsledding is very weather dependent b/c it is limited to a base camp. The Juneau operation is supposed to be the most frequently cancelled excursion. It is often cancelled due to snowmelt in the tail end of the cruise season.

Most reviews on #2 are positive and seem to emphasize the interaction with the dogs, with a few comments about bumpiness from some folks.

Thanks so much for the great info.

When you say helicopter ride, how long is the ride? I have a very weak stomach and don't know if I'd do well although it sounds like a lot of fun. There are 4 people in my party... would we all get on the same helicopter?

As mentioned 1 and 2 are on snow and 2 is a cart ride. 2 very different experiences. If prone to motion sickness TAKE PRECAUTIONS. You need to determine which tour you want to take??? By far the snow experences is more authentic- using a real sled that the other does not. However you do not drive it. There is a driver in tantum on the snow tour. Book direct for savings, Coastal out of Juneau and TEMSCO out of Skagway.

About half an hour in the air (total for flight up and back). At least that's what they say in the Princess 2004 excursion brochure. I did the trek (ie. hike) instead of the dogsledding because I really wanted to explore the ice formations and see the really deep blue of the ice, but I would think the helicopter protocol part would be the same. For us, they didn't divide the flight time 50/50 for the 2 legs. The leg out to the glacier got more time for scenery. The helicopter was a very different experience when it first took off...interesting feeling. I get seasick on small boats, but am fine with anything else that doesn't just go round and round. I didn't hear of anyone having motion sickness issues, but I'd go with BQ's advice of precautions.

I would imagine with 4 people booking under 1 reservation or somehow linked, you'd be in a single helicopter. They need to be concerned about the weight distribution so they'll assign seats based on this and I imagine might need to divide a group if weight reasons require it.

Archived