Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Our first cruise was on the Prinsendam in 1975 Inside Passage. We were in Canada when we heard she was sinking off the cost of Alaska a few years later. All were saved and taken ashore in Valdez. There is one of her life boats in front of the museum there (or, at least there was in 1998 when we were there in our camper). It was only an 8 day cruise and we couldn't wait to book our next cruise which we did for Mar 1976. That was a 14 day and we've sailed about 240 days since and looking forward to more. :D:D

My first cruise was on the SS Lurline in July 1957. LA to Honolulu. Back in the days when cruising was something really special. I must have liked it because I'm still cruising 54 years later.

John

Actually, what I posted before is not quite correct.

Here is the itinerary on my first cruise.

Key West, FL

Transit Panama Canal

Panama City, Panama

Pago Pago, American Samoa

Auckland, New Zealand

Dunedin, New Zealand

Port Littleton (Christchurch), New Zealand

Balleny Islands, Antarctica

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Freemantle (Perth), Western Australia

Transit Suez Canal

Naples, Italy (excursions to Rome and Pompeii)

Barcelona, Spain

Hamburg, Germany

Portsmouth (London), England

Key West, FL

All that courtesy of Uncle Sam and the U.S. Navy. The food and accomodations weren't all that great, but the ports and excursions were terrific. And with only 202 people aboard, there were no crowds of tourists to deal with.

Edited by arewethereyet

Tried to post earlier, but apparently it didn't go through.

First cruise was just 2 months ago, on HAL's Oosterdam to Alaska. First, but definitely not last....we left the ship already planning where to cruise next.

My first cruise was on the SS Nevasa a British India Steam Navigation Co Ship in 1970 around the Mediterranean. It was an ex World War 2 Troop ship and carried British schoolchildren for educational cruises plus a few adults.

Facilities were pretty primitive.The cost was GBP147 for 18 days including flights to Venice from UK

• 2 months later...

My recollection of my first cruise: Leonardo da Vinci, 1971, Easter Week, 10 nights from NYC to St. Thomas and Martinique, formal nights, excellent food, no formal activities for teens, we stayed midship in a stateroom with four bunk beds and a small porthole, and you could not walk staright across through the various decks, instead you often had to go up a deck, across, and then down to get to your destination.

My first cruise was onboard the Swedish cruise line Stockholm on it's maiden voyage after colliding with the Andreadoria(sp) in the fog off NY. Cruised from Aarhus Denmark to NY - memorable experience with April storms in the North Atlantic.

Our first cruise was a disaster.

My husband and I were married Sept 8th, 2001. We arrived in Glacier Nat'l Park for our honeymoon on the 10th and woke up the next morning to the tragic events of 9/11. :(

in late Spring of 2002 my husband was finally given permission to leave the U.S. (he was in the process of getting his permanent residency and had to wait for permission from the INS to do so), so we decided to try and do a re-boot on the honeymoon.

We did zero research (unlike me, but I was in over my head at work) and just booked a chartered trip through a local TA. It was cheap, so I should have known better.

The charter flight was awful. We arrived in San Juan and boarded the Norwegian Majesty. Everything about it was wrong for us. We had the tiniest cabin I have ever seen in my LIFE. There wasn't even a desk chair to sit on. Just two beds and a bathroom. The ship must have been no more than a year away from being retired. It was obvious why.

The worst part was that my luggage didn't arrive. I had NO clothes for 5 days out of our 7 day cruise. The ship didn't carry the things I needed (like, hello, underwear!) and I couldn't find what I needed at the ports. I ended up wearing my husband's clothes. It was awful.

I swore I would never cruise again. ;) Then my sister got into Columbia and couldn't go on a cruise with them that was already paid. They offered me a spot in her cabin for practically free and I took it. That was on Celebrity and was a great cruise. I loved that and HAL last summer in Alaska, and am confident I will love our upcoming January Caribbean HAL cruise.

Edited by Megsie1000

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

Mine was this same cruise & ship, but in Feb 1992! I had no idea it was still around. I do remember our tiny cabin room! Hubby & I went with a few of my hospital ER co-worker's, we all became life long friends.

DH and I had never been interested in cruising. He did some work for a lady that was a TA and she paid him with a cruise. We probably could have sold the cruise, but decided to give it a try. June, 1990, we sailed out of Miami to Western Caribbean aboard a beautiful, old ship Britanis of the cruiseline Chandris. She had a fascinating history. Launched in 1931, maiden voyage 1932, then served as a personnel transport during WWII. It was a small ship, by today's standards, but was elegant. One thing I remember most about her is the beautiful mahogany paneling throughout the ship. We had a VERY small cabin with two twin beds (not very romantic :rolleyes:). Near the end of our cruise, we learned that some passengers had to share a public bathroom with other cabins. We then considered ourselves very lucky! LOL

In her cruising days, pre and post-war, some of her passengers included Clark Gable, Carole Lombard, the Rockefellers, Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and other dignitaries. There was a guest register book on display, opened to where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard had signed.

I just looked up this ship to see if she was still sailing. Sadly, she was being towed to the far East to be scrapped when she sank, just off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa in 2000.

We did have a wonderful time on our first cruise and have enjoyed several cruises since. We were definitely hooked from day one!!

Little sidenote: Her sister ship, the (original) Lurline was the very ship that DH mother sailed to Honolulu on in 1930s where she met DH father. Circles.

britanis.jpg

Edited by Shebba

Our first cruise was aboard the Carnival Destiny, which at that time was the largest cruise ship on the seas at 104,000 tons. That began our love of cruising. This had not so much to do with the ship or the clientele, but we loved being on the ocean. This last cruise on Holland America's Zuiderdam led us to feel HAL is our cruiseline for the future. We did enjoy Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but Holland stole our hearts. :)

My first cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration, I believe in May of 2008, it was going to Grand Caymans and Cozumel. Never did make it to Cozumel though, we were the first ship diverted all thanks to the swine flu...We stayed out at see that day.

Im not sure if it was the cruise that got me hooked or not! I know last year (Dec) my mom and I went on the Celebrity Eclipse...now THATS when it started...great service, amazing food, and the decorated my cabin for my 21st bday. Now I'm ruined, I have always wanted to go on a All-Inclusive, but I would much rather opt for a cruise instead ;)

Edited by jewels89

My First cruise was on Holland America Line MS Statendam. Was 2011, 28 Day Panama Canal. It sure got my hooked have already done one other cruise since and have another booked for next year.

Wow thats a long first cruise! Not sure if I would be able to handle that just easing into the experience!

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

The Viking Serenade was my very first cruise too. Even though she wasn't the most graceful looking ship from the outside because of her conversion from a ferry, I still remember being in awe when we showed up to the port to be dropped off. It was also on this cruise that I proposed to my DW back in January of 1994. Since then, I've been hooked. This doesn't quite hold true for my DW, although the next two cruises we're going on, both HAL, were her idea. :)

Shebba, thanks for posting the photo of Britanis. She was lovely. Learning she was Lurline's sister made me tear up for some reason. What a wealth of beauty and history in these liners and cruise ships!

I hope Copper 10-8 is thinking about that ship history book. Or how about a "Guide to Ships" for us shipspotters?

Linda

I remember it was 1972 in December and it went from Miami to the Bahamas, Freeport and Nassau, but don't recall the ship or line. Boyfriend booked it. It had twin beds that were bolted to the floor. We made do. ;-)

Edited by lawyerrose

Thanks for the memories, loved the big white X. Sailed Chandris in the 70's, still one of our best cruise experiences and memories. Older ships, but great food and service, and Takis on the bazooki. Can we turn back the clock, please?

britanis.jpg

Nice looking ship. One more X and I'd book it.

We were hooked and we were in an inside cabin:eek: We were upgraded to a pothole on the Veendam on the next sailing and that was a huge "WOW" factor for us:D Now the only thing we sail in are the Suites (for the right price);)

Oop's I meant Volendam

Edited by Debi_D
A lag in memory...LOL

My first was on the now defunct Premier Cruise Lines in 1987. The staff knew they were about to be let go and boy did we know it. thank heavens, i didn't let that influence me - just made me appreciate the HAL staff more later. A nice ship, too bad

Cunard Princess, one-way to Bermuda in 1977. We got off and stayed at the Elbow Beach Hotel for several days and then flew home. Cunard did this sort of thing for awhile where you could sail one-way, or sail to some ports in the Caribbean, get off and stay until the ship came back, then board and sail back. We saw the ship in Santorini several years ago when we were on the Oosterdam. She was the Golden Iris. Looked so tiny by today's standards.