Name changes on Passport after wedding

gijanemom

I just found out a piece of information today that I did not know and thought others might find useful as well. I got married last March on the Sensation and had to purchase a passport. Because we had not gotten married when it was issued, my maiden name is on it. We are traveling on Carnival again this coming March for an anniversay cruise and I knew I needed to update my passport. If you have a name change such as I did, and you take care of the change within a year of issuance of your original passport, then there is no fee for the change. I just thought future brides would find this helpful. :)

Yeah its great if you had your passport issued right before the wedding. However mine was issued about 15 months before our wedding, now I have to pay another $120ish to get a new one before we go away in May! I don't understand why they don't just give it for free no matter how long you've had it, at least for a name change.

My passport is the last thing I need to get changed, I just haven't had the extra money to do it yet! I would love if it was free!

I had to get my passport re-done after about 15 months too so no free passport for me either.

One other note on the passport though. When sending in your paperwork for the name change/new passport, you are able to send a good, clear, color copy of your marriage certificate (the actual certificate is not required). While it looks like you have to send the original, there is small writing in one section that specifically says that this type of copy is acceptable. This was important for me as, since we got married at sea, we only have one certified copy of our marriage certificate so I did not want to send it in and risk it being misplaced (not as easy to get additional ones since it is from Bermuda).

I just found out a piece of information today that I did not know and thought others might find useful as well. I got married last March on the Sensation and had to purchase a passport. Because we had not gotten married when it was issued, my maiden name is on it. We are traveling on Carnival again this coming March for an anniversay cruise and I knew I needed to update my passport. If you have a name change such as I did, and you take care of the change within a year of issuance of your original passport, then there is no fee for the change. I just thought future brides would find this helpful. :)

Thx this is great info!

I'm wondering about my situation we're getting married in April in St.Thomas, and then 2 weeks later going to Fiji for our honeymoon. I doubt my passport will be ready in 2 weeks so should I just go with my madien name on the plane ticket so it will match my passport?

I'm wondering about my situation we're getting married in April in St.Thomas, and then 2 weeks later going to Fiji for our honeymoon. I doubt my passport will be ready in 2 weeks so should I just go with my madien name on the plane ticket so it will match my passport?
YES. You will need to use matching ID and reservations, so will not be able to book in your married name.

can you just take the passport to the post office to get it changed?

If you have a post office that handles passport applications you might be able to file the paperwork there (not sure), but it will still have to be sent off by them (including the current passport--which will come back voided/with a hole in it) in order to get your new passport.

Rather than having to make an appointment at a post office, I found it easier to fill out the paperwork (can be found on US State Department website) and put that with the necessary documents, photos and payments and mail it to the passport center myself.

I had to get my passport re-done after about 15 months too so no free passport for me either.

One other note on the passport though. When sending in your paperwork for the name change/new passport, you are able to send a good, clear, color copy of your marriage certificate (the actual certificate is not required). While it looks like you have to send the original, there is small writing in one section that specifically says that this type of copy is acceptable. This was important for me as, since we got married at sea, we only have one certified copy of our marriage certificate so I did not want to send it in and risk it being misplaced (not as easy to get additional ones since it is from Bermuda).

I wish I had seen this before I order my copy online. Good to know info though;)..thxs

Archived