Oceania Says Its Got News on Marina

editor@cruisecritic

With its new ship(s) Oceania seems to be moving so upscale that the distinction between it and sister line Regent has diminished substantially. In fact, Prestige Cruise Holdings could find its two lines going after the same, relatively small, luxury market. So would the next logical step be to merge the two brands?

Private home..both Frank and Bob have great taste and love designing..I think you will find all the staterooms on Marina gorgeous, comfortable and spacious..just be patient shortly you will hear all the particulars on the ship!

Jancruz1

This is just a big PR stunt. If the prices will be 20% higher, than this really has nothing to do with the vast majority of us. O's prices have been getting too high anyway and this just will be the iceing on the cake. Afeter the newness fades away the Marina will have to give big discounts to fill it. :mad:

This is just a big PR stunt. If the prices will be 20% higher, than this really has nothing to do with the vast majority of us. O's prices have been getting too high anyway and this just will be the iceing on the cake. Afeter the newness fades away the Marina will have to give big discounts to fill it. :mad:

No prices have come out yet so any speculation is just that ..if yu like O you will love Marina..watch every week for more information until they come out with itins and prices the end of January..Oceania is going to be rolled out a piece at a time which I think is fun!!!Jancruz1

With its new ship(s) Oceania seems to be moving so upscale that the distinction between it and sister line Regent has diminished substantially. In fact, Prestige Cruise Holdings could find its two lines going after the same, relatively small, luxury market. So would the next logical step be to merge the two brands?

That is what we have said slightly earlier on this thread! Perhaps Jancruz wants to answer to that.

O's prices have been getting too high anyway and this just will be the iceing on the cake. Afeter the newness fades away the Marina will have to give big discounts to fill it. :mad:
Many people agree with you and hope it comes true. Or else Oceania may as well merge with RSSC.

That is what we have said slightly earlier on this thread! Perhaps Jancruz wants to answer to that.

Of course I will answer..NO ONE knows what the prices on Marina will be so how can any one make a statement that it will be as expensive as Regent..It seems everyone here wants to guess. I thought on CC we get legitimate info..

Jancruz1

Jancruz-It's really not about the fares per se but about amenities. If Oceania and Regent essentially become apples to apples with amenities and "luxury", wouldn't a lower priced Oceania undercut its sister line?

I know that the executives of Prestige and Oceania are extremely astute business men (just see how they are filling their ships in a bad economy) if they decide to make the ships apples to apples it would be on purpose to merge..personally I dont see that happening but who knows in the future..I feel like we are all trying to look into a crystal ball and see the future..I for one like to live in the present.

Jancruz1

Great question. I actually asked this of Frank del Rio at the event. His point was no -- that Regent Seven Seas is carving out its own niche, which is that it's the most inclusive luxury line (which means most inclusive overall) afloat. Basically the only thing you pay for out of pocket is top shelf liquor and spa, even tours are included.

With Oceania, what keeps the fares lower is that you pay for everything out of pocket, liquor, tours, etc.

So why build such a stateroom as the new owner's suites? I'm told that they're aimed at people who would otherwise cruise luxury but want to try Oceania's destination mix -- more boutique ports along with the marquee stops.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

So why build such a stateroom as the new owner's suites?

Why not? Every ship has at least one or two spots that are totally "out there" compared to the rest of the ship. We were recently on Celebrity Mercury, with it's two Penthouse Suites at about 1,100 sq ft and with outdoor jacuzzis, selling for a price much higher than most of Oceania, yet still being nickled and dimed, having drinks and photos shoved down one's throat, and having to mingle with almost 2,000 "down market" passengers.

If you build it, they will come...and I'll bet these new Owner's Suites will cost less than a Master Suite on Regent.

Why not? Every ship has at least one or two spots that are totally "out there" compared to the rest of the ship.......

I agree. Case in point, NCL Garden Villa at 2300 sq ft. cabin PLUS 1300 sq. ft. balcony. And, Penthouse suites on Celebrity M-class, 1400 sq.ft cabin, PLUS 1200 sq.ft balcony costing almost 5X that of a balcony cabin ( Dec26, 2010 Summit)

There are people who travel with friends that are willing to spend more for extensive amenities. Again, cruise ships are giving the passengers choices.

Why on earth would they have spent as much as they have on branding the two lines just to merge them? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.
Oceania used to be a stand alone FDR line. He sold it to Apollo, which already owned RSSC. FDR stayed as Chariman of Oceania for a while, until Apollo decided to put their cruise businesses under one roof, headed by FDR. So the separate branding was of historical separate origin, not deliberate. As Pollo can lump Oceania and RSSC into two departments of their same cruise business division called Prestige Cruises, what is stopping them from melting the two into one if it makes pricings and managing easier? We don't know, but this is within plausibility in the future.

Anything is possible and of course there is nothing stopping such a change from taking place. It just didn't make sense to me given the two brands, presumably two unique demographics, etc.

Yes, the closer the prices get together the greater the risk of taking away from one brand to feed the other as opposed to taking from a competitor. There are of course other points of differentiation other than price although I find cruises to be closer to a commodity than other luxury purchases (that's just my own perception) so price would seem to be the prime differentiator in this market.

I have to admit, for me anyway, I've never seriously considered Regent but have looked at Regent's competitors - I have no idea why, but there you have it...

Oceania used to be a stand alone FDR line. He sold it to Apollo, which already owned RSSC. FDR stayed as Chariman of Oceania for a while, until Apollo decided to put their cruise businesses under one roof, headed by FDR. So the separate branding was of historical separate origin, not deliberate. As Pollo can lump Oceania and RSSC into two departments of their same cruise business division called Prestige Cruises, what is stopping them from melting the two into one if it makes pricings and managing easier? We don't know, but this is within plausibility in the future.

What is stopping them? Probably the same thing that stops Carnival from merging Cunard with Seabourn or RCI from merging Celebrity with Azamara. I can tell you that a lot of Regent folks would npt sail that line any longer if it was merged with Oceania; they are already upset that the Carlsons sold it. By the way, I think Apollo bought Oceania, first, and only promoted FDR to Prestige when they bought Regent. Apollo also owns around 50% of NCL, which they did not move into Prestige.

If there was ever going to be a merger, I could see Apollo buying Azamara and folding it into Oceania, and if the latest Azamara experiment fails, I can see RCI selling it. Then, with 5 of the R ships, I could see Marina going to Regent -- which might explain the owner's suites being so lavish.

Pure speculation on my part, as well...isn't it fun?

Why on earth would they do that when Regent's fares are close to double what Oceania's are? Makes no sense at all.

IMO, both brands have been 'ratcheting up' their product and pricing. And very few fellow passengers I have ever sailed with on Oceania ever sailed with or would consider sailing with an ultra luxe line. And on Regent, the same, albeit converse, holds true.

The Oceania ships are nice and the Marina sounds like it will definitely be a step up, but nowhere near the level of the Regent ships. Yes, some of the O suites are equivilant to Regent's, but remember that the Regent ships are ALL suites, they don;t have anything smaller than O's penthouses.

Add to that, Regent caters to a families (which O doesn't) and also offers shorter cruises, and more of them.

And FWIW, FDR and Apollo bought Regent a year AFTER they made their investment in Oceania. And Apollo never owned all of O, they only owned the majority of the shares much the same as they do with NCL.

At the end of the day, both lines are filling their ships and with different kinds of guests. Regent is emerging as the big(er) ship alternative to Seabourn or Silversea and Oceania seems keen to lure away all the cruisers who no longer wish to cruise on the mega ships from HAL and Celebrity.

Great question. I actually asked this of Frank del Rio at the event. His point was no -- that Regent Seven Seas is carving out its own niche, which is that it's the most inclusive luxury line (which means most inclusive overall) afloat. Basically the only thing you pay for out of pocket is top shelf liquor and spa, even tours are included. With Oceania, what keeps the fares lower is that you pay for everything out of pocket, liquor, tours, etc.

So why build such a stateroom as the new owner's suites? I'm told that they're aimed at people who would otherwise cruise luxury but want to try Oceania's destination mix -- more boutique ports along with the marquee stops. "

So far as my cruise spending goes, FDL is spot on. I didn't like the formality of Regent, and in my humble opinion, I have found the average O passenger to be relaxed and casual, and R passengers a little more inclined to be impressed with themselves. At the same time I like to book a suite, which is hard to do on O, as they go so quickly- so apparently there is a demand for these cabins.

Given the history of RCL's past efforts to purchase Oceania (and the subsequent creation of Azamara) I think Richard Fain would scuttle the ships before he would sell them to FDR.

LOL -- that's probably true. Or, at least it was true back when the economy was humming. Obviously, Azamara has not met its goals. And, just as obviously, Larry Pimentel was hired and told to do something about it. He's taking the line further away from RCL and Celebrity in an attempt to establish a brand and stop the bleeding caused by the expectations of Celebrity passengers. It may work. I wish them well, because it's cool to have an alternative.

But, if it doesn't work, there are limits beyond which even Mr. Fain might not go. What would be even more hilarious would be if RCL offered the ships to Prestige and FDR turned them down...;).

The following is an e-mail I received from my TA.

Just received an update from Oceania regarding their new ship the Marina. Many of my Oceania passengers have been anxiously awaiting the launch of this ship.

She will begin her sailings in January 2011 and the itineraries will be released in January 2010.

Here are the key dates:

1st week of January, Marina brochure will start arriving in past guests homes

January 11, I will have a copy of the itineraries available for my clients to view. (just in case you do not receive your brochure in time)

January 13 Past guests can begin booking their cruises.

January 18 Open to the general public for booking & the Brochure will be available to everyone.

Don

Archived