3 weeks until cruise - what's your favorite thing

panam22

about a Wind Star cruise? Leaving out of St. Martin what's your favorite island and why of St. Kitts, St. Barts, Jost Van Dyke, Tortola and Virgin Gorda? Favorite thing on board, meal, excursion, etc.?

Just sitting here dreaming and would love some input - really about anything relating to Wind Star or these islands. I know there are more specific questions, but this board has been slow lately and love some feedback from you all.

Thanks!

Love the ambiance! The people, the casual and unhurried life on board. No interest in being part of a herd on a floating condo. Especially love the fact that life on board is more about the people, the places we'll see or did see, and the enjoyment of just relaxing and enjoying the sun and the breezes, rather than worrying about what can we do next and how fast can we do it. We have taken three Windstar cruises (2 on WindSurf and one on WindStar) and we do like WindStar best....and loved cruising out of Costa Rica so much we are going to do it again....in about four weeks. You have one less week of anticipation than we do! Enjoy!

Second the ambiance. Breakfast in bed every morning. The cocktail hour with hors d'oeuvres followed by an update from the captain on the next day. Visiting the bridge in the dark after dinner. In room DVD - I've never seen the end of a movie, though. Wonderful bedding. Pleasant and interesting co-travelers. The staff that remembers your name after the first day.

I can't speak to the ports, as we haven't done that itinerary yet.

Of the islands on your itinerary, I liked St. Martin/St. Marteen the best....with its two halves: French and Dutch. Some of the old-world charm on the Dutch side, and more metropolitan on the French side. I hope you have enough time there to see both...and shop both.

Aw heck.....I forgot about St. Barts! This tiny little 8-square-mile-island is so cool. We rented an ATV and drove around....watch out for oncoming traffic, tho! Roads can be narrow and winding, but it is such a fun thing to do! And it can be a thrill if you go to the airport! You will find yourself on a road that goes uphill, between two peaks, and the planes have to come through those to land, just about touching the top of your car with their wheels! I understand there have been a couple of collisions. Once through the narrow opening between the peaks and past any cars, those plans then have to try to make a safe landing on a short runway below, which ends at the water. Again, not all make it. Watching the planes almost tickle the tops of the cars on the road between those two mountain tops and then trying to land....well, that is a popular sport on St. Barts!

Also, if you are a good investigator, you still may be able to find the burned out ruins of Jimmy Buffett's nightclub on St. Barts. Kitchen fire late one night, forever eternalized for Buffett fans in his song Atour de' Rocher (if I spelled it right), which means Around the Rock....yep, the nightclub was designed around a huge, huge rock. It was quite a rockin place until that fire. When we found the ruins in the mid-90s...there still were iguanas painted on the remaining walls in bar area....and a big hot tub out back, plus what appeared to be a small cottage with a 300-degree wow view of the Caribbean. We always wondered in Jimmy stayed there when he was on the island.

Thanks for all of your replies – I’m getting really excited now! We will be staying on St. Martin at the Grand Case Beach Club for two days prior to the cruise. So we will have time to explore both sides of the island and definitely will have dinner in Grand Case one night. I will look into renting an ATV on St. Bart’s, maybe as surprise for my husband.

We really need a relaxing vacation, but also want to explore new islands. Breakfast in bed, nearly every day at a different island then DVDs before bed sounds like heaven! Thank you all again!

If you go to one of the ATV Tour places on St. Barts, you'll get a full tour of the island...and I'm betting the guide will know where JB's nightclub ruins are. We have been to St. Barts twice and rented a Samari the first time and did our own tour. The second time, we got the ATV, but we did it with a tour and guide. Picked up the ATV and tour right downtown in St. Bart's...short walk from where the ship comes in. Place for lunch in St. Barts is Le Select/Cheeseburger in Paradise (has both names on it).....great burgers: well worth the wait. It may sound like one of Buffett's, but it isn't. But they were the ones who told us how to find the nightclub ruins on our first trip (the ship we were on had a treasure hunt and finding the ruins was one of the have-to-do items!)

Hey Windstar fans...I'll jump on that bandwagon. Done 3 on Windsurf in Europe and am finally doing the smaller Wind Spirit in February. Eager to hear what was best on that itinerary. What snorkel trips you liked? St. Kitts? Jost Van Dyke, etc. I know St. Barth's from land trips, but post your thoughts when you get back and have a ball!:cool:

Archived