Transportation from Anchorage to Whittier

lilherm

The regular run of the Alaska RR leaves from the downtown depot $49pp. Are you arriving the same day as the cruise??- if at ALL possible, add several days- the area is definately worth touring. It is a shame to just pass through. http://www.polarexpressak.com/rates.html there will also be cruise bus.

We arrive the late the night before; so our only day in Anchorage is on the day the cruise leaves. Does anyone know what time you can get on the ship?? I know the ship is scheduled to leave at 9pm. How is the train ride to Whittier?? I think my girls (ages 6 and 9) might really like that. Does anyone know of a limo company that runs from Anchorage to Whittier.

Thanks again for al the help.

We just booked a limo through alaskansplendor.com . Their rate was fairly reasonable, $350 total with tunnel fee and gratuities. It's for an 8-passenger limo (a 97 Lincoln, I believe). It was their smallest limo. Their contact person, Crissy, was great and got back to me right away. It was $100 deposit and the balance on day of arrival. They were the most reasonable for us, as some of the companies didn't leave Anchorage until the afternoon and we like to get on the ship early.

We arrive the late the night before; so our only day in Anchorage is on the day the cruise leaves. Does anyone know what time you can get on the ship?? I know the ship is scheduled to leave at 9pm. How is the train ride to Whittier?? I think my girls (ages 6 and 9) might really like that. Does anyone know of a limo company that runs from Anchorage to Whittier.

Thanks again for al the help.

You have some tough choices- if you want to see Anchorage- which is definately worthwhile- I would rent a one way car with Avis and drive to port. You also will get some excellent scenery along the way. Then if desired you can stop at the animal park and give your kids a close up view of Alaska wildlife. The rail leaves at 10 am- and no time for Anchorage. Myself- I am never in a rush to get on the ship in Alaska. When I cruise out of Seward I've gotten on about 8pm some trips. :)

The Princess train is sold out. (Thanks travel agent -- what the heck am I paying for -- we booked in Sept!). We'll keep the rental car. At $219 we already will have it in Anchorage and won't need to make any other stops. We're not going home until the following day, so it'll be nice to have the car. I was told the train would be $90/pp and I don't know if we could have got a car for less than $40. Plus, I'll probably find an Avis coupon before June. Thanks for the info, though. Pretty unbelievable that I have to find out about transfers from Whittier to Anchorage through a message board when I booked my cruise through a travel agent.

The Princess train is sold out. (Thanks travel agent -- what the heck am I paying for -- we booked in Sept!). We'll keep the rental car. At $219 we already will have it in Anchorage and won't need to make any other stops. We're not going home until the following day, so it'll be nice to have the car. I was told the train would be $90/pp and I don't know if we could have got a car for less than $40. Plus, I'll probably find an Avis coupon before June. Thanks for the info, though. Pretty unbelievable that I have to find out about transfers from Whittier to Anchorage through a message board when I booked my cruise through a travel agent.

Frankly there are very FEW agents who know much about Alaska and certainly even less that have any experience with independent bookings. The net is a wonderful resourse, be glad you found all this out before you booking the wrong option for your needs. :) Have a great trip.

We just booked a limo through alaskansplendor.com . Their rate was fairly reasonable, $350 total with tunnel fee and gratuities. It's for an 8-passenger limo (a 97 Lincoln, I believe). It was their smallest limo. Their contact person, Crissy, was great and got back to me right away. It was $100 deposit and the balance on day of arrival. They were the most reasonable for us, as some of the companies didn't leave Anchorage until the afternoon and we like to get on the ship early.

I guess you did not get ahold of any Anchorage companies. Larger size limo. a 2001, $339. We have always used Howard and Wanda auroralimousines.com. you can even view there fleet.

Frankly there are very FEW agents who know much about Alaska and certainly even less that have any experience with independent bookings. The net is a wonderful resourse, be glad you found all this out before you booking the wrong option for your needs. :) Have a great trip.

Every I go I use a limousine service. They are local, usually belong to a chamber of visitors bureau, operate year around and are very knowledgeable about local travel. it's a smart and very elegant and inexpensive way to go. it's private, it's clean, and its professional. Highly recommend limosuien service. We used aurora limousines in Anchorage and was very please with Howard & Wanda

We did check with aurora but they weren't available until afternoon and we want to get to the ship at around noon....plus their total rate ended up being a little higher after taxes and gratuities. I think that alaskansplendor may be selling their 8-passenger limo and will be upgrading us to their 10-passenger limo, according to my last e-mail. Plus....I like the fact that we don't have to pre-pay the whole amount like we would have had to do with aurora, in case we need to cancel.

The regular run of the Alaska RR leaves from the downtown depot $49pp. Are you arriving the same day as the cruise??- if at ALL possible, add several days- the area is definately worth touring. It is a shame to just pass through. http://www.polarexpressak.com/rates.html there will also be cruise bus.

According to the people who do the website for Polar Express, Polar Express is no longer in business.

Arriving 2 nights before our cruise in June. Should we stay both nights at Anchorage hotel? What is a good location? What should be chosen to do in each place? Would like to rent a van for 6 adults. Is the dog sled worth it in Seward? Or do the dogs in another port. I have done dogs in Colorado, seems like pricing is much better there. You could do a long trip for 350.00. We got to drive the sled there. So wondering if they would be a disappointment in Alaska. I've read no ideas on Anchorage.

2 days is not enough time to go to Seward if your ship does not sail out of there??? If you are then a good option, the top attraction and most recommended are the Kenai Fjords boat tours. Seavey's sled dogs are good if you have the interest- but with your experience- it wouldn't be a priority. Do your homework, request the Anchorage visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net plenty to keep you occupied. It is a spread out city. And plenty of lodging available, determine what your priorities are?

Thanks for the Website.

Sorry, I will explain. 6 adults (50ish) flying into Anchorage on the 1st, leave out of Seward on a cruise on the 3rd. Wanting to rent a van, stay in Anchorage or Seward, then drive to Seward and cruise out. Just wanting to see the best of both in that time. No heavy shopping, if any. Want to take in the beauty.

Archived