ideas for self-drive tour

Holly2

When we were on the island one of my favourite things to do was tour East and North. It's an easy drive, mostly close to the water. I like this route as it tends to be less busy then town and 7 mile beach and gives you more of that Caribbean island feel. You go through Bodden town, can stop at the lighthouse (restaurant there looking over water), the blow holes, wreck of the ten sails (short path to a great look out), East End (small community, not much there). There's a couple of resorts out that way, but mostly it's quite secluded. When you go around and up to to the North there's the quaint Over the Edge cafe. Then you end up at Rum Point which is a popular but pretty spot for a swim. Coming back you can take the short cut Frank Sound road, or do the whole thing in reverse and get to Rum Point early and meander back. I'm not sure where you'd snorkel around there though. We dove out of the East End, but from a boat. I think your best bet for snorkeling is closer to town, like Sunset house, or you could stop at Smith Cove which is a little beach where I have done some snorkeling myself.

You could also go the other direction to the West, stop along seven mile beach, stop at Hell (yes, a real place, but over rated I think) and the Macabuc grill/Cracked Conch where there's also a dive site which I guess could be good for snorkeling too if calm enough. Personally I'd go the first route and get off the beaten path a bit. Have fun! :)

Thank you so much -- that's very helpful. Been to 7 Mile and, while it is lovely, would like to see more of the island. How long do you think we should plan if we only plan on spending an hour at the beach?

hmm... I can't really recall how much time we took. We didn't leave at the crack of dawn, that's for sure, and we got back around dinner. We didn't have a ship to catch, so didn't pay too much attention to the time. Of course you'll need to. It's not really that far, as it is a small island. A lot of the stops I mentioned are quick gaze and photo ops. It's the stop for a bite to eat/drinks that can take up your time quickly if you aren't careful, as you fall into island time. lol. You can always leave out some points to be sure you don't feel rushed, but you can absolutely get out to Rum Point, which is your turn around point. There's parking there, but it can get rather busy, hence suggesting maybe going there first. On weekends a lot of local families go there as well as the tourists. I personally quite like Rum Point though. My husband was working on the island for a little while, so we really only had Sundays to spend whole days exploring together, so that's when we went. Otherwise I didn't have a vehicle to use during the week so Run Point wasn't accessible for me then. How much time do you have?

Our ship leaves at 5 so should probably return car by 4 in order to get tender. I was thinking of renting the car from 10-4 but could leave earlier. We will be there on a Thursday. Think going to the beach first makes sense; the nice thing about having a car is that we can improvise.

Realize we've been counting on nice weather -- what are the chances?

thanks for all your help.

You're welcome :)

I would probably get the car a bit earlier myself (9:00), but even at 10:00 - 4:00 that gives you 6 hours. Just be aware that traffic can get really bad close to town, so leave yourself plenty of time for that. Away from town the roads shouldn't be nearly as busy.

Having a car will give you lots of freedom to do as you please.

Oh, and in Dec. you'll likely have great weather. Of course it can rain, but if it does it's usually short showers. We had that happen out there actually. Beautiful sunny day at the beach, then we started driving and hit this torrential rain, then it stopped and the sun was back out. Bring plenty of sunscreen and water with you before you set out.

Enjoy your day!

• 3 weeks later...

your advice was so helpful -- we printed out and took the proposed route with us.

We booked a car from budget (they offered a cruise special including complete insurance and gas) -- they picked us up right near tender. Took about 15 minutes for them to come and another 15 out to the airport. Felt this was part of our touring. (They deposited us right at tender line after we returned the car.)

We took the coastal route out to Rum Point and had plenty of time there. a great day.

your advice was so helpful -- we printed out and took the proposed route with us.

We booked a car from budget (they offered a cruise special including complete insurance and gas) -- they picked us up right near tender. Took about 15 minutes for them to come and another 15 out to the airport. Felt this was part of our touring. (They deposited us right at tender line after we returned the car.)

We took the coastal route out to Rum Point and had plenty of time there. a great day.

Your Cayman day sounds like my idea of fun. Do you remember where you found the "cruise speacial" prices. So far the car rentals I've looked up don't include pick up/drop.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Alexandrea

Your Cayman day sounds like my idea of fun. Do you remember where you found the "cruise speacial" prices. So far the car rentals I've looked up don't include pick up/drop.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Alexandrea

Hard to believe last week we were in Caymans! Snowing in Boston. I emailed Budget and asked about pick-up; no charge but don't know that they advertise it. There are a bunch of car rentals at the airport. There is also one in downtown Georgetown.

Would love to do it again!

As far as I can tell, all of the chain/franchise car rental places (Budget, Avis, etc.) are by the airport. The two closest to the pier are both local companies, Cayman Auto Rentals (I think that's the correct name) and Andy's Car Rentals. I know Andy's has a website (we often rent from their airport location) - http://www.andys.ky/ - you'd likely find the other places' websites with a quick google...

Holly2:

I have rented a car in GC before (many years ago) but for some reason I am a bit nervous this time. Our stop is only 10:00-6:00 do you think that we will have enough time?

I believe we use to meet the car rental places at the Purple Iguana, is that still the case.

Did you make it to Rum Point, one of my favorite little hide aways. I hope it has not gotten too populated; I have not been there in about 7 years!

DST, I think you will have more than enough time. We didn't get off the ship until 10 and had to tender by 4:30. We drove the long way along the coast to get there and still had plenty of time.

Rum point is still wonderful. didn't see a single cruise towel :).

As far as I can tell, all of the chain/franchise car rental places (Budget, Avis, etc.) are by the airport. The two closest to the pier are both local companies, Cayman Auto Rentals (I think that's the correct name) and Andy's Car Rentals. I know Andy's has a website (we often rent from their airport location) - http://www.andys.ky/ - you'd likely find the other places' websites with a quick google...

This is helpful. I found some other companies but they don't pick up/drop and I no e-mail from Budget yet...It will all work itself out otherwise we'll just walk to Eden Rock and hang out. Thanks again.

caribtravel - we rented from Avis on GC the rates were very reasonable and they will pick up/drop off

Holly2 - thanks so much for the reply. We are sticking with the original plan and renting a car, I am so happy to hear that Rum Point is still beautiful....we'll leave our cruise towels on the ship as well :D

dst, You might need the towels -- the water is irresistible :), the roads were fine btw.

Thanks - did they still have the jetskiis for rent at Rum Point, we love to do that!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hard to believe last week we were in Caymans! Snowing in Boston. I emailed Budget and asked about pick-up; no charge but don't know that they advertise it. There are a bunch of car rentals at the airport. There is also one in downtown Georgetown.

Would love to do it again!

What was the name of the place to rent cars in downtown? Would that be a better option than renting from a airport port based company?

What did you do and see? How much time did you allow to be back at the tender?

Archived