HAL CruiseTour

RTanner

My wife & I are considering an Alaskan CruiseTour on the Volendam in 2010. The CruiseTour we are looking at is a fourteen day out of Vancouver with only two nights on board and the rest going from Skagway to Anchorage by way of Dawson City, Tok, Denali, Fairbanks and Anchorage. Has anyone taken one of these? Any opinions or insights?

The first questions which pop into my mind are (1) What is covered and what is not in the way of meals and excursions? (2) The Volendam carries about 1400 pax. Will there be approximately 1400 people on this tour? What are the average tour sizes? (3) Is the tour really worth it? It purports to be a tour which involves cruising, bus, river boat and train. All that seems pretty ambitious for the quoted price?

We have cruised Alaska with HAL before and loved it. Probably our best cruise to date, which is why we are considering one of HAL CruiseTours. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds and following seas,

Bob & Norma

We did almost this exact cruisetour in Aug '07. I chose it specifically because it did go to the Yukon (Whitehorse and Dawson City). We absolutely loved Dawson City, and the riverboat on the Yukon River up to Eagle Alaska. We had 3 days on the ship and 8 on land. I wish I had chosen the tour that had 2 nights at Denali, but for cost and time constraints stuck with just the 1 night.

I think we had 3 lunches included in the cost of the cruisetour. HAL did have a meal plan for $300 (I think) pp. We didn't purchase it, but I wish we did. The meal vouchers made it so much easier in the hotel restaurants. The hotels and restaurants are geared toward tour passengers and they always asked if we had the vouchers. We usually arrived into town around 5:30-6:00 and were ready to eat, so didn't wander too far from the hotel to eat. You can figure $15-20 for breakfast, $15-20 for lunch and $20-30 for dinner. Depending on what side tours you plan, meals may be included in those. We went to Ester's Gold Camp in Fairbanks and for the $58 pp was an all you can eat crab fest. Then we did Jeff King's Husky Homestead tour at Denali (where there was no meal included). There are other side excursions that you can pay for, but we were content with mostly what was included in the main cruisetour.

Just because the ship holds 1400, doesn't mean all 1400 will be on the cruisetour, though a lot will be. We were on the Zuiderdam, and I believe there were 10 tour guides introduced the morning of our departure. Figuring 40 passengers per tour guide, that's only 400 folks. Each guide rides on the coach the whole time, and is your point of contact if you have a problem. We had two coaches of 40 people. We led for awhile, then switched and let the other coach lead for awhile, so one didn't arrive into town first all the time. That was a nice comfort factor out in the wilds, that you weren't alone, if there was a breakdown. Cruisetours aren't for everyone, some don't like being "herded" from place to place, but I love them, as the driver and guide know the area (what there is to see and do), and make sure to get you there on time. Schlepp your luggage and you sit back, relax and enjoy the sights.

I highly recommend a HAL cruisetour. They have a large infrastructure in Alaska and know how to do it right! Don't think you can go wrong with a HAL cruisetour.

You have no idea how happy we were to read your kind reply. Your insight will be invaluable. You have put our mind at ease.

We can see that the meal voucher plan would be the simplest way to go.

You answered all our questions. Now, if anyone else as an opinion I'd welcome it also.

Was your lodging at the end of the tour covered? The itinerary quotes: "Then re-board the award winning McKinley Explorer on the way to Anchorage. Transfer to your downtown hotel for an overnight stay in Alaska's largest city."

That is a bit ambiguous to me.

I see that you are going to the Baltic. We're going in June on «X» and are looking forward to the trip. We also see you've toured Australia. We have considered that one but every time we get serious about it we think about the hours on the plane and opt for another destination.

When you disembark the ship to start your land tour, there will be people completing a land tour waiting to board. I suggest that you consider doing the land tour first as well.

The land tour is exhausting. Worthwhile, but exhausting. If you do the land tour first you will have an opportunity to rest for a few days before you head home.

Another thing to consider is the flights to/from, in conjunction with time zone differences. I didn't notice where you live, but if you are heading west to go (and therefore east to return), the time changes are in your favor to go the longest distance first. It's much easier to get home from Vancouver than from Anchorage, in terms of time zones.

Yes the hotel in Anchorage is included. I also did this tour in 2008 and I also bought the meal plan. It is anything on the menu and the food is good. If you are light eaters and just a snack wil do you can probably get by cheaper. We went in May and only had two tour buses traveling together. You will enjoy it but as Ruth said it can be exhausting. When you get in the areas outside of the bigger cities choices will be limited for food and prices will be the same. Remember they have a 4 month tourest season so costs are higher. Enjoy your trip Roly

I did a similar tour. Book an inside room to start. You are not on the ship that long. HAL owns the bus company and the hotels you will stay at. This is a plus. They will pick up your luggage and get it to each hotel; you just set it outside your hotel door. Like the ship.

Read the detail of the trip closely. Print out all the trips as they can be confusing and it might take some reading to start to see the differences. There should be some extra cost options. If you have a free day or a free half day there might be an extra cost tour you can take.

On our trip we had a bus of about 25 guests and a tour guide. I think the regular tour will be several full buses so it might be a little more crowed. It was a good trip. Most of our meals were included. I do not remember prices but I think the meal plan is probably worth it. Some stops do not have restaurant choices. One stop did not have a restrooms, remember you are in the country. I think we had 100 miles of dirt roads. However, the bus has a restroom. Point is one couple in our group had an expensive suit on the ship and expected the same type of accommodations on the land tour. It will not happen. We are all equal on the land trip.

In Denial plan on taking the park bus (extra tour) on the 8 hour trip into the park. You will get as far into the park as you can. The park does not let private companies into the park. It will take the whole day. There is a free bus from your hotel to the park. The train also loads and unloads at the park entranced. You can visit the park entrance area the morning you leave if you get up a little early. Depending on the time of year you can leave a weak up call for the Northern Lights. We were out at 3:00am with a lot of other guests.

As I recall the meals on the train are an extra cost item and a little expensive. The first floor of your car will be a full dining room and the top floor a 100% glass enclosed car for sightseeing. HAL and Princess have private cars that pulled by the Alaskan RR. I think you also pay at Denial but them the trip could have changed from when we went.

A BIG "Thank you," to everyone who took the time to answer my questions and for the additional insight. She Who Must be Obeyed has given the green light so, as soon as Christmas is finished we will start laying the ground work with our TA. It appears there is a slight increase in cost for starting the trek in Anchorage but from what I'm reading it looks as though it will be well worth it.

We made our initial Alaskan cruise in late September and the weather was cool but mostly tolerable (Except the cold rain we had in Juneau. That was the pits!). Has anyone made this CruiseTour in either early May or late August? I'm guessing we might expect high 40°'s or low 50°'s and overcast skies most of the time? Also, if you cruise very early or late in the season, were there many kids?

Once again, thank you all for the assistance.

Also, if you cruise very early or late in the season, were there many kids?

Cruising in the fringe season has fewer kids as school is still in session. The tour portion will have even fewer kids regardless of the time. The bus tour and kids is just not a good match.

We were there the 1st week of september '07 and it was in the high 60's and low 70's in the day . Down in 30's at night. Can't comment on hal. We went princess. All the way up to prudoe bay. No children at all. Our own dd did not want to go. She just wanted sun & sand! It was worth every dollar we spent. Do not regree any of it. Do have a tip though. When you take the 8 hour bus tour in denali , sit as close to the driver as you can..they try to sell you a vidio of your tour of what the driver sees . The driver makes sure they see the wildlife whether you do or not. That way they can sell you a tape of what you should have seen. You will see a lot if you sit close!:)

We did the Cruisetour #2 this last August. Started with the land tour first then last four days on the ship. Buy the meal plan, will be worth it. This was the best trip I have ever taken. Not the most restful, but worth every minute of it. I would love to do it again. Also helped that we had a great tour guide and good bus drivers. By the time we made it to the ship we were ready and could not imagine that it could get any better, but it did. Ending the trip on the ship was in my opinion the best way.

Enjoy your trip. Just remember to pack in layers. Many cold morings and nights.

Archived