Just Booked April 10 Golden...what's up with Curacus?

LarryF

Hi everyone,

We just booked the April 10 Golden Princess to the Southern Caribbean. We are very excited. I have heard that lately the ship has not docked in Curacus and treats that as a sea day. Can someone please enlighten me to why this is happening? Is thes permanent? Is this becoming a permanent sea day or are they going to add another port?

I appreciate anything information you can give me!

Also, if there are others on this cruise, please let me know if there is a posting for it in the roll call section.

Thanks!

Guest Host Tink

Hi Larry,

There is severe cultural unrest in Caracas and until much further notice, no Cruise Lines will be permitted to dock there, it is now an extra day at sea.

Was on the Golden Princess last week and we did indeed stop at Isle Margarita. The official reason given was the berth they were allocated wasn't deep enough.

One of the security personnel told me that they did stop in Caracus several weeks ago though.

We were on the Golden for Christmas and did not go to Caracas. We went to Isla Margarita instead. The official reasoning (per the letter in our stateroom from the Capt) was ". . .We wish to advise you that due to a conflict between the Port Administration and the Harbor Master, we will not be permitted to dock in the port of LaGuaira. . .As there is no safe, close deep-water anchorage from where we can tender you ashore, we regret that our call to the port of La Guaira has been cancelled."

I HIGHLY recommend the La Restinga Lagoon Tour. . .absolutely the best ship excursion we've ever taken!

Was on the Golden Princess last week and we did indeed stop at Isle Margarita. The official reason given was the berth they were allocated wasn't deep enough.

One of the security personnel told me that they did stop in Caracus several weeks ago though.

How long were you in port? Did you do one of the ships excursions?

The ship docked early, our tour left at 6:50 it was a general island tour took us around the island with a stop a small town to see the church where the Our Lady of the Valley has appeared there.

The ship left at noon. Wasn't that impressed at all.

Just returned home from the 1/2/05 sailing of the Golden. We did not make it to Caracas, instead we received a letter stating that there was another ship in our berth and no options were available. It was interesting that the shore excursion forms onboard didn't mention Caracas at all - only Isla de Margarita. This made it obvious that the berth was not the problem!

We were able to spend an extra two hours in Grenada (the world's pushiest vendors) before Isla de Margarita.

Isla (Margarita) was fabulous! By far my favorite port. The scenery is lovely, the two small beaches near the port were clean and easy to get to. The vendors were quite the oposite of those on Grenada. Try the Polar beer! The sad news was that we had to leave port so early - 12:00pm, if I remember correctly.

Melanie

I see it listed on the Princess site. Was the dolphin encounter available when you cruised? Our friends daughter was really disapointed when we switched ships/ itineraries from Cozumel, and there isn't another on the 'explorer' week.

I don't remember seeing a dolphin encounter listed and just dug through my pile of paperwork from the ship and can't find a copy of the excursions offered. Sorry.

We swam with dolphins at Xel-Ha and Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan, Mexico, and both were fun.

Melanie

Just pulled out the tour sheet from the 12/19 Golden cruise. Yes, the dolphin encounter was available when we were on the Golden for Christmas. We didn't do that tour though. . .having already done the dolphin encounter in the Bahamas. If the dolphin tour is full. . .I would recommend the La Restinga Lagoon.

Just pulled out the tour sheet from the 12/19 Golden cruise. Yes, the dolphin encounter was available when we were on the Golden for Christmas. We didn't do that tour though. . .having already done the dolphin encounter in the Bahamas. If the dolphin tour is full. . .I would recommend the La Restinga Lagoon.

Our friends are joining us on this cruise ( their first) along with their 13 yr old daughter and 16 yr old son (came along on our last cruise). They were leaning towards a western C cruise, and I talked them into this one. Their daughter was so excited about a dolphin swim in Cozumel ( I found this out afterwards). So, with La Guaira seemingly out of the picture, I'm off the hotseat. LOL

Archived