Lanai vs balcony -- 35 days in a Veendam lanai

Hutch&Pat

Thanks for your review. Unfortunately it comes exactly accross as I expected it to be. This whole Veendam refurb seems to be orchestrated by the bean counters who's only aim was to increase revenue. This without looking at the ultimate results and basically downgrading the product. And basically leaving the ship's crew deal with the problems.

As a non lanai passenger I would be very annoyed by the fact that most of the promenade deck will be kind of "restricted". I do like the Promenade deck as it's nowadays the only quiet non noisy nickle and diming space to relax. (So some cruiselines don't even put deck chairs there anymore as it's a non revenue generating area).

The same applies to this pool which had to go because of adding more inside cabins. Downright cheap and from what I've heard is the pool area a disaster.

I haven't heard anything about the refurb of other 3 ships. Rotterdam who is currently at Freeport doesn't even have this lanai hot air nonsence.

So let's hope they'll drop it all together and focus on something really innovative which benefits all.

Reint

What HAL ships now have this kind of cabin?

The Veendam and Rotterdam have the lanai cabins. They are planned for the remaining S-class ships (Maasdam, Ryndam, Statendam).

I don't recall hearing plans for them on the remaining R-class ships (Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam), but who knows what will happen.

Prior to reading this I booked a lanai room on a cruise for 2011. I'll be on the same ship in 2010 so hopefully I can determine if I still want a Lanai. I have never wanted to be on that deck, and was always happy with an outside cabin on a lower deck. Since I travel as single, getting a balcony is expensive for the use I would make of it.

Hopefully problems will be resolved for everyone. I know I rarely used the chairs before. I was hoping having the ones out side the door I would use them more. The cruise in 2011 is going through the Panama Canal both ways, so I thought it would be great to just walk out of my room to the railing.

Hopefully others will post regarding there expenience in warmer weather cruising.

Thank you for the reviews and comments.

Thanks, OP, for your posts on this subject. We were on the Veendam and also noticed that the reserved signs on the chairs were very tiny and hard to see. DH commented that on other ships he could usually find a public spot or two or three where he could comfortably relax but the only place on this ship that he found was our balcony!

Now if HAL had made a spot inside the cabin where you could store the chair until you wanted to use it :)

Thanks for all the information on this subject. I went ahead and switched my cabin to a balcony instead of the Lanai room. I just don't want to deal with people taking my chair..and I am too timid to make a fuss about it. I never sailed without having a balcony, but I thought this room could be a good cheaper alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am up in the air. The OP piece was excellent. We just booked a Lanai cabin (3 in total, next to each other) as a cheaper alternative to a balcony (it's over $1000 per cabin on our cruise, $3,000 is real money!). I hate having to argue about crap like kicking people out of the chairs especially if Holland isn't willing to step up to the plate and make a notice of this in the newsletter or some other type of communication (i.e., bigger reserved signs on the chairs). It seems like they just don't want to get "invovled". Well by making this new class of cabin, they should get involved!!

Wonder if anyone who knows this OP piece in advance of their sailing, would make up a reserved sign from home and figure out a way to "hang" it on the chairs (maybe looping it over the back) if that would make a difference. Sounds silly doesn't it? But I know from other similar experiences, it is this kind of silliness that is required to prevent from ruining your vacation. Thoughts?

Pondering now whether to cancel the cruise and move to another cruise line or pay the additional $3,000. Ugh.

Edited by macbest

As a passenger who just came off the Rotterdam this week, (who did not have a lanai cabin), but who walked the deck daily, I would caution anyone booking one...at certain times of the day it was possible to see into the lanai cabins and see inside clearly.

• 2 months later...

We are returning to the Veendam on 3/25; not in a Lanai but will take note of any changes. I actually started to convince myself that this would be a great cruise for a lanai (Rio/Amazon/FLL/NY) and several in our roll call have booked or upgraded to one. I thought that they probably suited a warmer climate cruise as the severe cold coming in through our Lanai door made the room uncomfortable and then stuffing all the towels around and the ship staff duct taping it closed made it really ugly and inconvenient. I also thought that few people would be using anyones chairs in the heat and humidity of the Amazon, that could be a plus. But, the more I think about it, it appears that for at least a good part of this trip it might be too hot to open the door and let the oppressing heat in, so other than view, it doesn't appear that a hot humid sailing is ideal for a lanai ..... perhaps cruises with no extreme temperatures might suit Lanai's best. I think that balcony doors will also let the heat in. I don't know how well the ship will be able to deal with the really hot weather in this area, but if it's barely keeping up, I sure wouldn't want to make it worse by opening the door.

I hope that some of those cruising with us who have them will post so you can see how they've enjoyed them.

Pat

I was in an OV room on the Promenade deck of the Ryndam just one cruise before it went into drydock, at which point the room became a Lanai room. I knew that was going to happen before I sailed, so spent some time envisioning the upcoming change and wondering how I would feel about it. Thanks to the OP for the excellent summary!

Personally I don't think I would request another room on the Promenade deck, but it has nothing to do with the Lanai rooms. EVERY morning I was awakened, very early, by the hoses that were washing down the deck, the chairs, the lifeboats or whatever. I am a heavy sleeper but, wow, was that ever loud.

Edited by Aruba

Tom, I do not want you to think I am being facetious, so please bear with me on this for a moment ok?

Let's pretend you are in your house. You have a pretty front yard with a bench you purchased sitting to one side of your front side walk leading to your front door. (I do so bear with me here ok.)

You are sitting in your livig room, looking out your front window and next thing you know, someone is sitting and relaxing on your bench, in your front yard!!!

What would you do or say?? Me, I'd politely ask them, "May I help you? Do you need something?' (of course, I'd have the phone with me and finger on preset 1 (the COPS!!!) I would not automatically call the police, because for all I know the person could need some sort of help or be overly tired... But I hope you get my drift here...

Basically, I look at the Lanai Staterooms as a persons living room and front yard. The people in the Lanai's have paid for their stateroom and the space in front of it. I will respect their rights to see out of their front rooms, just as I would my own.

I hope this made sense. It does to me:D

Joanie

I look at these a little differently, I view them as your appartment or condo with a shared front porch.... ....you never know who will be taking in the view from the porch, and unless the chairs are clearly marked as "Reserved" folks will likely just have a seat. The maintainance dept will be working on the porch and occaisionally making some noise. If you know and expect all of this, life is good, if you expect a private balcony, better to pay the money for a private balcony or you will likely be unhappy.

Good report!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I noticed the Lanai cabins in my actual catalogue - and the question was: could that be an option instead of my prefered balcony cabin (because - the solo price for a balcony is 200%.....).

But - now I know: no Lanai for me. If I look at the official price list - a Lanai costs nearly 700 $ more (double occ.) than a ocean view cabin - but just 150 $ less than a balcony - - imho it is not worth the difference.

I prefer to look for a special offer, pay the price for a balcony and don´t hassle with people blocking "my" deck-chair" or "my view". I like it to have my privacy...

Thank you for your review

Wendy

• 1 month later...

A wonderful report. We are thinking of RIO-FLL-NYC next March. If we do it, we'll book a J, which is inside just across from a Lanai. What we get for a lower price is avoiding all the traffic on the promenade (which we will enjoy fully), early morning washing and maintenance, and still be within a few steps from the promenade. Perfect tradeoffs. Actually, we will test this during a Christmas/New Year's cruise to Hawaii, when we will have a J.

• 2 weeks later...

We looked at these cabins, decided to book an OV on the same deck. We plan to use the loungers when folks are not using them. We will gladly get up and move if someone wants us to.

We decided we did not think we could get enough privacy with a door to the deck.

Not on the Rotterdam til October 2011, so we will have to see how it goes then.

Thank you for the detailed description. One of my favorite things to do is to sit on a lounge chair and watch the day begin with coffee in hand. I was thinking it would be nice to do so while wearing a gown and robe. Maybe not such a great idea.

I am less concerned about someone using one of my chairs than actually preventing my door from opening.

Not sure what room I'll book, but I am thinking it all over.

We looked at these cabins, decided to book an OV on the same deck. We plan to use the loungers when folks are not using them. We will gladly get up and move if someone wants us to.

We decided we did not think we could get enough privacy with a door to the deck.

Not on the Rotterdam til October 2011, so we will have to see how it goes then.

hopefully, you're not planning on using the reserved ones. whether they are being used or not, they have been paid for by the people booking the lanai grade cabin.

Edited by CtheW0rld

Thank you for the detailed description. One of my favorite things to do is to sit on a lounge chair and watch the day begin with coffee in hand. I was thinking it would be nice to do so while wearing a gown and robe. Maybe not such a great idea.

I am less concerned about someone using one of my chairs than actually preventing my door from opening.

Not sure what room I'll book, but I am thinking it all over.

Penny, would you feel differently about people sitting in your chairs even if they refused to leave when you asked to use them? ….. or when you reported it to HAL and they essentially told you 'that's a shame'?

The big issue I see here is the ongoing lack of support from HAL to provide something their customers paid extra for. They still do not post a blurb in the daily program about the chairs-- not even just once! This is a disservice to their loyal repeat customers who are unaware that they should not sit in any of them like the used to.

I never saw anyone sitting in their reserved or other LP lounge chairs in their robes in the morning drinking coffee. People wearing bathrobes in public places is always surprising to me on a ship. There were two guys on one of the cruises who would sit out in their robes before dinner and they really looked out of place as people were walking past getting in their laps.

Don't worry about someone opening your door! They are heavy sliders and require passengers to carry an additional key card to open them. There also is a button you must push from the inside in order to be able to open them; I think it's a lock release. If you're carrying two glasses of wine out, it's very impossible as you need one hand to first release the lock and then to give the door a good yank to get it sliding. They sort of close automatically, so it's good to stop it with your foot until you get all of the way outside. Some passengers could never get them to work right, with bad keys etc. Others believed they were automatic and were broken and were not interested in hearing otherwise. They pushed the button inside to open it; it did not open; it's broken; period.

LANAI CABIN REVIEW UPDATE (after our 2nd long cruise since the the Lanai cabins were installed)

The following is based on my observations and discussions with people who stayed in Lanai's from our recent April Amazon trip. We booked an outside non-Lanai on the LP.

About 1/3 of the chairs assigned to Lanai cabins do not have any identification on them that they are reserved. Either the small brass tags fell off or the chairs broke as I did not seem them located in the wrong places either. This was not the chair/cushion steward's fault at all ….. they were excellent on both cruises. HAL has not yet placed appropriate and needed signs on the wall behind where the chairs are supposedly reserved for Lanai cabins. And yes, unfortunately people have started 'saving' the non-Lanai reserved chairs in the usually way ….. you recognize the same old Readers Digests sitting on several empty chairs in a row each day before breakfast even though many of the 'savers' never showed up until mid afternoon. So, a lot of folks do end up sitting in the numerous chairs that have a bulkhead with cut outs instead of the railing which permits one to see enjoy the sea/land and sky views.

Passengers were creative in dealing with calling attention to the fact that the chairs were supposed to be 'reserved'. They made signs and placed them in 8 1/2 x 11 sheet protectors and pinned them to their lounge cushions early each morning; or they placed some of those extra decorative bed pillows from the cabin on each chair. One cabin started taking the cushions into their cabin after the steward put them out …. only bringing them out when they were going to use the chairs. However, it's easy to go grab some cushions at the end and put them on yourself. Folding the chair in certain positions was not as effective as one would think ….. one husband told me that he came out and got in his chair and left his wife's folded while he waited for her to come out with drinks, and someone came up to him and unfolded the chair saying to him 'is this one of these "supposedly reserved chairs" for these cabins?' Yes, unfortunately there were many arguments, some heated, especially since so many of the people who continually sat in the reserved chairs continued to use the same lame excuses that 'they don't speak English', 'they don't understand' etc. etc. all while refusing to move. One Lanai passenger sat in her cabin for an hour and a half waiting for the person to move and finally went out and asked nicely to use her chair, and was refused. Plus the squatter was saving the other Lanai cabin chair! The Lanai cabin passenger overheard the conversation when the squatter's husband arrived and sat down in the saved chair, and when he heard that she had refused to move, he immediately packed them up and left! At least one of them had a little class.

The location of the Lanai cabin is extremely important in selecting your cabin as the ones on the ends of where they start and stop again (they start and stop for each public door etc.) are prone to having the 'public' chairs pushed right up next to them vs if they are between two Lanai cabins, then you have the space of the Lanai doors on either side as a buffer. At least one section was really bad …. the Lanai chairs are placed to the left facing the door from outside the cabin our friends were in, and theirs was the last one. But from the end of their Lanai door HAL squeezed in 6 lounger chairs very tightly which gave you no personal space and made it difficult to get in and out of all 6 of the chairs. So some Lanai cabins have chairs where you might have some personal space around you and others have chairs 2 inches away from yours.

Normally the lanai chairs don't have much room between them because there is limited wall space between Lanai doors, so people move them to make it easier to get in and out of, ….. if the Lanai passenger does this, it's not a problem as no one else is trying to come in or out of their Lanai door, but when others do it when sitting in your chairs, It can make getting in and out of your cabin difficult, and dangerous if they have spread all their stuff on the deck next to the chairs.

There was no extreme weather from Rio to FLL; never really got out of the '80 as it did with the HAL ship a few weeks earlier. So, there was no real problem of the heat rushing into cabins when the slider to the P deck was opened. There was none of the bitter cold rain, snow and extremely high winds that were a problem when we we in the Lanai around the tip of South America. I did not hear of any Lanai cabins with AC problems, but we did have some outside cabins on the LP with problems for a few days and their cabins were very uncomfortable.

Many people enjoyed the Lanai cabins, especially several single travelers. These cabins are smaller than the outsides on the 2 lower levels and don't have the drawers in the desk etc, but are great for 1 person . There is a social aspect of getting to know your neighbors (if you want to) and people would invite friends for drinks when their neighbor was at dinner etc …… .this works great if you all have different dinner assignments or schedules which you can count on. I enjoyed seeing the same people in the chairs as we walk on the LP everywhere we go, and I got to know many of the Lanai passengers. The squatters were less friendly and seldom made eye contact.

HAL's use of the term "Lanai" really leads one to believe that they are being offered some space to use for themselves, personally such as a balcony. HAL's legal department must have covered the fact that they don't provide or guarantee what you paid for in the form of 2 reserved chairs and some space to enter and exit your Lanai door, but I would love to see any such wording in writing myself! Otherwise, I would fully expect someone to sue and win sometime.

I think Lanai Cabins are worth perhaps a little more than a comparable outside cabin due to the larger window/door, but the question is how much more? Your view is not protected like on a balcony …. people can use the deck, stop and talk, block your view by standing at the railing and they have every right to, and they can even sit in your chairs and pile their books and shoes and cups and saucers up outside your door and what are you going to do about it?

The Amazon cruise was great! They had a bridge instructor and good lecturers for the Rio north portion (no bridge instructor provided for the San Diego to Rio 35 day portion and poor lecturers if any which was very disappointing) We did not enjoy the big cities and the crime was very bad. It was fun going to Devil's Island on the way back to FL.

Again ….. these are my personal opinions and observations. If you think you would enjoy a Lanai cabin, book one.....select carefully! If you really enjoying hanging out on the LP lounge chairs, and are concerned about the lack of public chairs with a nice view through the railing, there is some cause for concern. However, there will be plenty of chairs with the views through the bulkhead cut outs and there you can enjoy a lot more space.

Pat

Hi Pat

Noticed the comment re: automatic doors for the lanai cabins.

On debarkation morning of my Bermuda trip last month, I paid a visit to my originally-booked cabin (336), and the lovely couple graciously showed me around.

The nice lady opened the lanai door, and we walked out to the deck.

It stayed open the whole time ... 2 min. And nothing was blocking the door to keep it from closing.

I even noticed on sea days, that a few lanai doors were left open, with the occupants enjoying their chairs. And again, there was no indication of the doors being propped open with anything.

Maybe since your time on board, the maint dept did some alterations to keep the doors open? :confused:

But have to add, I liked the cabin. And trying for it again next year for my b'day Bermuda sailing. :D ;)