Whats the best thing to do in San Juan ???

t471

I'm trying to decide what to do in San Juan. Can't decide between 3 things.....either do the zip line stuff, go see the forts or go do the rain forest tour.......Has anyone done these? And did you enjoy one over the other??? The price on any of them is good, but I want make sure its worth the money spent. Any help is much appreciated ! O, forgot to say , we are a family of 4 with 2 boys, 9 and 14.

The forts would be my choice and I would simply walk to them. If your family isn't up to the walk there is free tram service, but by all accounts the vehicles are usually crowded.

The walk is really great and you'll get to see a good deal of Old San Juan.

Both forts are run by the National Parks Service and you can buy a ticket to both and save a buck ($5 instead of 2 x $3). The NPS web page for both forts is at http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm.

With your kids ages I would suggest doing the segway tour to the forts. They will have a blast! (and learn a bit of history as an added bonus!) My kids are now 20 and 22 and still talk about this as one of the favorite things they have done.

Another vote for the segway tour. DH and I had a blast and I'm sure your kids would love it. OSJ is a beautiful place and the forts were really cool with breathtaking views. The 2 hour segway tour will take you to the forts and even includes entrance to El Morro. We had already visited both forts via trolley/walking when we found the segway tour, so we only took the 45 min tour. But I would love to go back and do the 2 hour one.

Just got off Eurodam on Saturday, and I can recommend this tour--it was excellent. They are a young, personable, educated married couple who are building their business the old fashioned way--they are EARNING it. Worth every penny.

Since I had been to the fort on previous cruises, we elected to skip the inside, and asked Jose to show us some other parts of town instead. We saw more interesting stuff, and learned so much about the history of San Juan.

Safety is utmost in their tour, and we felt very comfortable zipping along, especially as the day was warm.

If you have responsible kids, they will love it also.

This is not a ship sponsored tour, which is a good thing:)

Be glad to answer questions from anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there earlier this month. The forts are a Must - especially for children. Only $3 to get in, and well worth it. You can hop on a free trolley when you come out of the San Cristobal fort - that's the one you see to the right as the ship comes in to dock - and ride along the pretty coast road along to the other fort El Morro. No need to pay a fortune for an organised tour. You can easily spend a leisurely 3 hours or so enjoying Old San Juan. The trolley stops are yellow and have the word PARADA with a picture of a trolley. I had no problem with getting on them when I was there. Drinks - beer/soda/coke are much cheaper if you go in the small local bars rather than the big shiny ones full of visitors, and much more fun if you make an effort to speak to the local people. Have a great time whatever you decide on.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived