Snorkeling in Cabo

dbail4

I read about either snorkeling in Bahia or Playa Santa Maria. How far is this from the Pier where the ship docks? Can we take ourselves there?

I don't know what Bahia is? The two snorkling beaches in Cabo are Chilano and Santa Maria. They are both about 20 miles from Cabo and quite a ways off of the main highway. It would be best to book one of the many catamaran tours that go there. I personally like Pez Gato and the Eco Cat. You could try to take a cab (about $40 each way) but not sure how you would get back. There are no facilites at all at these beaches so unless you rent a car, a tour would be your best bet.

Another way: when you get off the ship there are a bunch of guys lined up to sell you tours. We haggled with one & got him to take us by boat to Santa Maria & back - including snorkel equipment for $18 each. (There were 20 of us). We had a great time.

I have snorkeled several times at Santa Maria, it is a nice protected cove. Decent fish, and some corral, and lots of people. The water temps on a sunny day are warm enough you don't need a wet suit. If it is cloudy a wet suit would be a plus.

jc

It does depend on when you are going as to the water temps. It is the warmest from July-Nov with Oct the warmest in the 80's. It really starts to cool down from Nov-Jun with the coolest being in April and May when it can be high 50s to high 60s which is way too cold to swim let alone snorkel.

Archived