Is the Ice-skating rink, Flowrider, Rock wall etc closed during port stops?

jldev

We are planning on doing a Caribbean cruise in 2011 after a trip to Disneyworld. As we need to travel so far to get there, this comes under the "huge trip" category for us and involves a lot of saving and planning! Anyway, just researching all the cruise options and, as we have 3 children, we are considering trying out one of these huge RC cruise ships with an ice-skating rink and Flowrider etc. However, I read somewhere that these areas, as well as the rock climbing wall, are closed during port days. For us, whilst we'd vist the ports for perhaps half a day, if we chose one of these mega ships, it would be because of these extra options and I'd want them to be available during port days. Can anyone tell me of their experience please? Many thanks :)

The flowrider is open on port days. In fact it's one of the best times to go as most people are ashore and the lines are minimal. Afternoons on sea days usually have long waits.

Another trick to avoid lines is the afternoon when you board the ship. Most folks don't have their luggage (or bathing suits). So pack a bathing suit on your carry-on and experience some very short lines.

The video below was on a port day - notice a very short line.

http://www.youtube.com/user/loudbmw#p/a/u/0/JfJ5cxd8UZE

Lou

Oh, that all sounds much better than I'd begun to imagine and thanks for those great tips to avoid the crowds! I think we will definitely do our best to be on a Freedom class ship.

By the way, Vince on the video clip was amazing on the Flowrider. Not sure I'd be brave enough to try it out (in front of other people!) but suspect hubby and oldest daughter would :)

Archived