Myster Dinner Theater????

ORD1166

DW and I are sailing on Mainer of the Seas in April. We are thinking of doing the Myster Dinner Theater. But, have a couple of questins about it. First one is what night is this event usually held? And the second one is how much fun has anyone had it at it? Thanks for the help.

I think the day for the Mystery Dinner Theater would vary from ship to ship and length of itinerary.

We did this on our New Year's Eve cruise last year and had a great time. We were on the Voyager and there was a rather large group that participated. We met in the jazz bar for appetizers and drinks. The first act of the mystery began there. We then moved to Portofino's where long tables werer set up. There were a couple of acts interspirsed with dinner. At the end, everyone put their guess in as to "who did it" and other funny details of the evening. Everyone with the same answer written on a paper were put in the same pile which became a drawing for a prize. We actually won a bottle of champagne which we gave to our cabin steward.

We counted this as our on ship excursion for the day. It very tongue in cheek and campy. We had a fun time of it.

We've also done a murder mystery weekend at a bed and breakfast which was very similar, so it wasn't too surprising how this worked.

We too have done it. We had a ball. Starting out with drinks and canapes, the "actors" (the stage production dancers and singers) set the scene...then it moves to Portofinios (on Voyager) and continues...mixed in with great food and drinks.

It is a truly enjoyable, campy, clever and fun evening!

My sister and I did this on the Jewel and we had a blast. As others have said, it is "campy" and over the top but we thought it was worth the price. The food was great and although we didn't drink any, the wine was free-flowing. I'd say go for it!

Has anyone done this while cruising solo? Any thoughts on if it would still be fun for a solo cruiser?

Being solo should not detract from your enjoyment. In fact, it would be quite a good thing for a solo to do as you form teams and sit together and work on the clues together so you will not be on your own.

For me, how much you enjoy it depends on who you have on your team. The more you join in the fun and don't take it too seriously the better time you will have.

Couple questions. Is there an announcement of this in the Compass? Limited seating? Cost?

When we did it on the Voyager, RCL was just beginning the service to reserve online. We could sign up only one, so one of the first things we did once on board was go to Portofino's (not too much of a stretch since we were heading to the Windjammer anyway and it's "next door"). Inquired about the Mystery Dinner Theater and signed up right then. We got a reminder/invitation in our stateroom later.

Have a great time!

We did the mystery dinner on the Mariner last August and had a blast - it was very interactive and fun.....we enjoyed it so much that we booked it on the Freedom this past week. Let me tell you - it was like night and day....the one on the Freedom was not good at all - not interactive and the staff seemed as though they were reading their lines off cue cards...and the plot was lame at best - so I think it varies from ship to ship.

Since you will be on the Mariner, I think you will enjoy it.

We did it last May on Jewel and will be on Mariner this coming up May. Does anyone know if they change up the mystery? We really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do it again if it was the same thing.

Ours involved a married couple, his secretary and a crazy fortune teller.

We did it last May on Jewel and will be on Mariner this coming up May. Does anyone know if they change up the mystery? We really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't do it again if it was the same thing.

Ours involved a married couple, his secretary and a crazy fortune teller.

We were on the Jewel in April and we had the same mystery as you. But I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that on one ship (don't recall which one) there will not be a mystery for a short time while the crew learns a new story. So...I guess they do change it from time to time. It may also be different from ship to ship.

You can sign up pre cruise and pre pay. It runs approx $55.00 per person.

But, it will also e available once you are onboard.

Seating is limited.

And did I read these posts correctly that it is $55 a person for dinner at portofino's, wine included and the mystery show? Also for those who did this on the Mariner, what night did it take place on?

• 1 month later...

When would or should this be available to book? We're sailing on Navigator on 10 April (14-day TA), and it's still not listed on the website. It's not like Mrs. Dito checks every day or anything... :D

If it's not listed by now, does that mean it's not happening?

Can anyone help me out?

-Dito

When would or should this be available to book? We're sailing on Navigator on 10 April (14-day TA), and it's still not listed on the website. It's not like Mrs. Dito checks every day or anything... :D

If it's not listed by now, does that mean it's not happening?

Can anyone help me out?

-Dito

it should be listed under specialty restaurants. you have to go through day by day to see what day it's offered :( a pain in the butt but I finally found it!

I just looked through every day of both Chops and Portofino and was unable to find the Mystery Theater dinner for Mariner for my sailing on March 21st. I wonder if they have done away with it. We are sailing in under 6 weeks and it doesn't look like it's being offered.

Anyone on the Mariner now or recently off it who can help us out?

Katherine

Archived