Your Thoughts on the Golden Sanctuary

mikjr

We have a 14 day cruise to Hawaii coming up in March on the Golden. I've read a bit about the Sanctuary... some say it's worth the extra money, some not...

I have a few questions:

Is it better to pay by the day? or for the whole cruise?

I assume they have their own pool and jacuzzis?

Do they limit the number of people allowed in?

No Children allowed... right?

Lounge chairs more comfortable??

Anything else I should know to make an informed decision would be helpful...

Thanks

No pool...no jacuzzi

yes, there are limits

thicker cushions on chairs and loungers...

IMO

I think it is a waste.....especially if you are doing shore excursions, if it rains, all the desirable seats are taken...just for someone to bring you cucumber or lemon water and a menu that you to pay extra for spa food service

We have a 14 day cruise to Hawaii coming up in March on the Golden. I've read a bit about the Sanctuary... some say it's worth the extra money, some not...

I have a few questions:

Is it better to pay by the day? or for the whole cruise? Whole Cruise, no standing in line at 6:30 in the AM hoping you can get lounger, knowing that "your" lounger is reserved for you to come & go as you please.

I assume they have their own pool and jacuzzis? The Lotus Spa Pool is just steps away, but opened to all adults.

Do they limit the number of people allowed in? Yes, not sure about The Golden, but on the Emerald there were 48 spots; 20 that were rented for the entire cruise length, 28 that were rented daily.

No Children allowed... right? Correct, it was heavenly

Lounge chairs more comfortable?? Oh yes, my DH is 6'8" and could fit on the loungers without his feet hanging off. Cushion is nice & thick (Three times thicker then those teak loungers with the blue pads that are around the Lotus Spa pool that some think are an adequate subsitution for the Sanctuary loungers).

Thanks

If you want to get the Sanctuary for the cruise length you need to go to the Sanctuary as soon as you board in order to reserve your space. When I was on The Emerald Princess in March all available spaces were taken by about 1:30, and the had actually made more loungers available for the cruise length option than normal (I think it was 28 or 29 out of 48). If you choose to try to get a space daily you will need to get in line on the day you want fairly early. Very early if it's a sea day that promises to be nice.

I had to talk my DH into getting the Sanctuary for the cruise length because he hesitated about the cost, but after our first sea day when he saw & heard the crowds around the two family pools on the Lido deck he agreed that it was worth every penny.

I have never read a post from someone that regretted getting the Sanctuary. Most of naysayers seem to be those that are opposed to paying for it (If it was free you would never be able to get in).

I will be on the Golden in late April and the Sanctuary will be my first stop.

We took a one half day pass on our last cruise, just to check out the ambience (which was nice). But, because we had 50 knot winds and 20+ foot seas, along with a wind chill factor of about 20 degrees F, we were the only people there, and we couldn't hang out for more than an hour. Needless to say, we will have to try again when we go somewhere warmer, to see if it is really worth it or not.

We are going on the Golden Princess 02/28/10 and I didn't know that it cost extra to "lounge" in the Sanctuary. Can someone tell me the rates for daily or by the week?

It's $20 for a full-day, $10 for a 1/2 day if you get the Sanctuary for individual days (Example; just on sea days, which tend to be the most popular), or $15 a day x the number of days in your cruise. For a 7-day cruise the cost would be $105. Unless they give a special price for longer itineraries, a 14-day cruise, such as the Golden to Hawaii would be $210. That's for each lounger.

When trying to decide if the Sanctuary is for you my best advice would be to weigh how much you value peace & quiet vs. the cost, and how often you would actually use it. From what I have read on the boards the weather in January and February can be cool, and the seas rough the first two days out of LA (And the last two days coming back), which may limit how much you might actually use it. I have been on two ships that had the Sanctuary; the Emerald Princess last March, and the Caribbean Princess this past October. On the Emerald my DH & I took it for the length of the cruise. With the exception of our first sea day we were blessed with perfect weather (And on that day I just wrapped myself well and still enjoyed it). Every sea day, and the day we were at Princess Cay DH & I spent the entire day in the Sanctuary, On port days we would leave the ship in the AM, but come back to the Sanctuary for at least some of the afternoon. It was worth every penny.

When on the Caribbean Princess in October the Sanctuary was opened, but no one that I could tell was using it. However, this was a Canada/New England cruise and it was overcast/rainy/cold for most of the trip. Also, both sea days we had very rough weather and the open decks were closed to all PAX.

We are going on the Golden Princess 02/28/10 and I didn't know that it cost extra to "lounge" in the Sanctuary. Can someone tell me the rates for daily or by the week?

Hi Kansas! we'll be on the same sailing, have you joined the roll call yet?

It's $20 for a full-day, $10 for a 1/2 day if you get the Sanctuary for individual days (Example; just on sea days, which tend to be the most popular), or $15 a day x the number of days in your cruise. For a 7-day cruise the cost would be $105. Unless they give a special price for longer itineraries, a 14-day cruise, such as the Golden to Hawaii would be $210. That's for each lounger.

It's not always $105 per week for a 7-day cruise. When I was on the Crown 21NOV 7-night it was $120, and then on the Emerald 29NOV 7-night it was $105. I suspect they raised the prices on the 21NOV sailing because it was US Thanksgiving and they could get the extra $$$ to avoid the 700 kids on board.

I have a few questions:

Is it better to pay by the day? or for the whole cruise?

I assume they have their own pool and jacuzzis?

Do they limit the number of people allowed in?

No Children allowed... right?

Lounge chairs more comfortable??

Thanks

Not sure what the weather will be like in March, but on that same cruise in October the seas were pretty rough and it was windy and chilly out on deck as we crossed the Pacific. Who knows what weather you will have, but it might not be as warm as the calmer waters of the Carribbean which lend itself to much more pool time. But if this is a Spring Break cruise with lots of kids it might be worth the extra money to have somewhere a little quieter to spend some time. We walked around the Sanctuary the day we boarded just to check it out and it was nice. Lots of loungers with thick cushions, very peaceful surroundings. On our particular sailing, the outside pool areas were not used much until the day before we got to Hawaii when the weather started to warm up a bit. I can't really help with if it is worth the cost or not, but I just wanted to give a heads up that crossing the open waters of the Pacific can be a bit different experience. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Either way this is a fantastic cruise!

~

Tracy

Hi Kansas! we'll be on the same sailing, have you joined the roll call yet?

Sorry I didn't see your question until today. I let my DW handle all the roll call business usually however I'll stop in and see if she has posted.

Looking forward to a Great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I am leaving on my cruise on the Emerald in a week. We want to book the Sanctuary for the 2 sea days. Can we book both days upon embarking or do we have to get up early on both sea days to book this?

Individual days can not be booked in advance, only the entire cruise. You will need to line up on the days you want.

Archived