Back to the Class System

jebl

The area that the lounge chairs are in is removed from non suite guests, as I understand it. Or can non suite guests still bring chairs into that area? Perhaps I misunderstood as I read a few people that said they exclusively sat in those areas for all of their cruises because they really liked that area and now could not. Perhaps they changed something? I haven't cruised with that roped off area yet so I"m unsure.

I have also read here of people standing at the theatre when reserved seats were empty - I think there is one a few pages back. I don't go to shows, as I said, so I was going by other CCers experiences. I also haven't been and won't go to the ice show (ice is for hockey!:D) so I don't know but I understood from one of the FOS threads that they don't 'do' tickets for it anymore... Again, that could be wrong or changed.

You are not serious? A small section of seats up in the gallerie?? That are not even poolside. And there are other seats available in the gallerie for others to use. You just have to get them - just like you have to get any other seat.

It reminds me of when my kids were little and would argue to the death that one got a bigger piece than the other - never mind that there might have been all of a 1/2 a bite difference in them at the most.... :D

And I don't seriously believe that anyone has ever not been able to get a seat in a show. There are empty seats all over the place.

I realize we all look at things differently but I just really have a hard time feeling like a second class citizen because of a few roped off seats that I can't sit on....

The area that the lounge chairs are in is removed from non suite guests, as I understand it. Or can non suite guests still bring chairs into that area? Perhaps I misunderstood as I read a few people that said they exclusively sat in those areas for all of their cruises because they really liked that area and now could not. Perhaps they changed something? I haven't cruised with that roped off area yet so I"m unsure.

I have also read here of people standing at the theatre when reserved seats were empty - I think there is one a few pages back. I don't go to shows, as I said, so I was going by other CCers experiences. I also haven't been and won't go to the ice show (ice is for hockey!:D) so I don't know but I understood from one of the FOS threads that they don't 'do' tickets for it anymore... Again, that could be wrong or changed.

You sure post a lot on the topic for someone who's basing everything on hearsay.

You are not serious? A small section of seats up in the gallerie?? That are not even poolside. And there are other seats available in the gallerie for others to use. You just have to get them - just like you have to get any other seat.

It reminds me of when my kids were little and would argue to the death that one got a bigger piece than the other - never mind that there might have been all of a 1/2 a bite difference in them at the most.... :D

And I don't seriously believe that anyone has ever not been able to get a seat in a show. There are empty seats all over the place.

Hmmm....I see it doesn't matter to you but I had posted that other posters said it mattered to them and that it was disappointing. It was also something that was removed from them. Just because it isn't poolside doesn't mean someone doesn't value them....

About the seats for shows, I believe that this very thread had someone saying that there weren't seats for them to sit and people were standing. Could it be that there were only one or two seats together everywhere, meaning parents couldn't sit with their kids and yet the reserved area had plenty of seats together that remained empty the whole time?

I guess I don't really think its up to each of us to judge what should be important or valued in someone else's vacation experience. I don't care about these issues for myself so much since I wouldn't use either of the things mentioned above, but it is certainly valid to the person that wasn't able to enjoy either of them, don't you agree?

You sure post a lot on the topic for someone who's basing everything on hearsay.

Is that just an observance? Not sure how to respond to that!:p It's a topic that interested me due to the seemingly black and white view of those on differing sides. I apologize for my curiosity and for continuing to converse with others about it.....is posting about this a suite perk only? lol:p:D

Hmmm....I see it doesn't matter to you but I had posted that other posters said it mattered to them and that it was disappointing. It was also something that was removed from them. Just because it isn't poolside doesn't mean someone doesn't value them....

About the seats for shows, I believe that this very thread had someone saying that there weren't seats for them to sit and people were standing. Could it be that there were only one or two seats together everywhere, meaning parents couldn't sit with their kids and yet the reserved area had plenty of seats together that remained empty the whole time?

I guess I don't really think its up to each of us to judge what should be important or valued in someone else's vacation experience. I don't care about these issues for myself so much since I wouldn't use either of the things mentioned above, but it is certainly valid to the person that wasn't able to enjoy either of them, don't you agree?[/quote}

I guess I don't. You don't always get exactly what you want. You may arrive at the pool on any given day and find that your favorite local is not available to you. RCI provides enough deck chairs for everyone. No one is being denied a seat.

Yeah, that is always a great come back around here.... if you don't like something leave. It makes for great discussion and is such an effective way to get someone to see your point of view. I am sure Mr. Goldstein loves it when people advise others to leave HIS cruise line just as if it is YOUR cruise line.

I'm guessing Mr. Goldstein has a love/hate list of cc posters!;) :p

Put it this way. You have a suite on RCCL. It's the second time you have purchased one with them. You get your info and find out that you no longer have access to the CL (that's now only for the OS now. You also don't get chocolates on the pillow, no more petit fours or hors deourves at night, no priority tendering and no access to the private beaches on the private island. As well, there will only be roped off lounge chairs available for the OS. Would you still consider that this is still a great deal even though you are paying the same amount of money that you did last time when you DID receive all of this?

No, clearly you are getting less. I went to the store and realized for the same price I was getting less in a jar of peanut butter.

Do you nod your head yes wholeheartedly that the OS people deserve these and you don't because they might be paying more than you?

Yesssssssssss, those who pay more deserve more

Would you now book a OS to get back those things?

Only if they were important to the enjoyment of my vacation

If yes to the last one, you might be a cruise exec's dream! lol

Maybe but this could be this person one great vacation ever so often, so it's doing right or not at all.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, I don't mean it to.

By no means;)

I'm just really curious for anyone that champions things like the lounge chair rope off or the beach privatization how they would feel with my above scenario?:)

Land resorts, been there done that. Sometimes I am the one in the ropes, other times I am the one tied with the ropes....wait that is something else:D

The reality this is the norm at many resorts. Cruises are becoming more and more like resorts at sea. So far, only in cruise world kids pay the same price and everyone for the most part has the 'same' previldges on board.

Is that just an observance? Not sure how to respond to that!:p It's a topic that interested me due to the seemingly black and white view of those on differing sides. I apologize for my curiosity and for continuing to converse with others about it.....is posting about this a suite perk only? lol:p:D
No, but I do think first hand experience is the best.

Also, keep this in mind. Let's just say, for the sake of example, that it's 9:30AM on an at sea day and all the prime loungers by the pool are taken but there's four still available in the suite reserved area. Over the next couple of hours it's likely that 100, or 200, or even more people are going to show up by the pool looking for a lounger in a prime area and realize that all the prime ones are taken except for the four available in the reserved seat area. The net result is 100's of people are thinking that the "suite" people deprived them of their prime pool seating when the reality is that it was only four loungers.

Things have changed and apparently people are more demanding of special attention throughout the ship and, as in the case with NCL's suites, mixing with the rest of the guests is something that can be avoided if you are willing to pay the premium.:(

Another perspective on this...my uncle suffers from pretty severe Parkinson's. However, he and my aunt still want to travel while he can. He really enjoys cruising. But, he doesn't like being the center of unwanted attention - it makes him as uncomfortable as it makes the folks around him when he is in the height of tremors, etc. So, he can book one of the villas on NCL and "avoid mixing" with the other passengers. He enjoys his trip. Everyone else enjoys their trip. No one is harmed by their willingness to pay extra for the privacy they want.

So, don't think that it's about snootiness...those booking the villas all have thier own reasons - and it shouldn't have any impact on anyone else onboard!

The reality this is the norm at many resorts. Cruises are becoming more and more like resorts at sea. So far, only in cruise world kids pay the same price and everyone for the most part has the 'same' previldges on board.

I've often wondered how many posters only cruise and never try any other type of 'getaway'. This may be why they can not grasp the whole roped off sections of things.

I've been to many resorts and all either have a private section of beach or butlers that come out to the beach and set up sections with a reserved sign in an area for the guests they are tending to.

kooljammin-priceless;

I'm just really curious for anyone that champions things like the lounge chair rope off or the beach privatization how they would feel with my above scenario?:)

Land resorts, been there done that. Sometimes I am the one in the ropes, other times I am the one tied with the ropes....wait that is something else

LOL LOL :D

Yeah, that is always a great come back around here.... if you don't like something leave. It makes for great discussion and is such an effective way to get someone to see your point of view. I am sure Mr. Goldstein loves it when people advise others to leave HIS cruise line just as if it is YOUR cruise line.

I'm sure that my comments really make people leave RCI, but thanks for the confidence in me. :) I'm not actually advising anyone to leave RCI--I am Platinum, so clearly I like it ok. My point was that when it comes to travel of any kind, no one forces any of us to go on any cruiseline/airline/hotel/etc. If we are unhappy with the product, we have the choice to go elsewhere. I haven't found reason to go elsewhere, and plan to continue on RCI, but since some people on these boards only find reason to complain about what they aren't getting, it seems obvious that maybe they should go elsewhere. I don't know Mr. Goldstein, so I won't presume to speak for him.

I think that some of what we see is the result of RCL changing there incentives focus from 'the frequent traveler gets the perks' to 'the expensive fare gets the perks.'

In the system a couple years ago, we saw incentives for people who had cruised frequently (the balcony and suite discounts through C&A and free drinks in a 'special' lounge). We also had discounts for booking on-board, shareholders discount, and residency discounts. These could all be stacked.

Net Result: There was a group of people that could work the system (within the rules) and cruise frequently without laying out a lot of cash. Most of us who have cruised a few times have met the couple that has their friends drop them off at the pier, they don't go ashore, they show up half blitzed after happy hour, and they have 34 more cruises reserved! We met a person who's husband decided to not come along that cruise because he wanted to stay home with the dogs!

I believe some of the changes are the result of a bean counter discovering that 'some of our best customers are just barely covering the cost of their meals!' The new perks are perhaps trying to bring some incentive to book a suite, rather than everybody book an inside guarantee and then call, trade, wheel and deal your way up to what should be an expensive room. This will create benefits for people that are paying for the more expensive rooms.

I've seen the 'reserved section' on the LOS a year ago, and it was no big deal. An OK area, out of the traffic, but certainly not the best seats in the house.

In all seriousness, have you ever actually been denied a deck chair? Or have you only been denied a deck chair in what you considered a decent location with enough together to accommodate more than one person?

I ask because I've been on a few cruises and can't recall one instance of every deck chair on the whole ship being occupied, whether with a person or even just a towel and a book.

You are correct. If you really want to, you can just about always find a chair someplace. But who wants to sit at the very front or the very back?

As I stated, I don't have problems with suite guests getting extras. If I wanted those same perks, all I have to do is book a suite, right? For me and my family, we would rather take 2-3 cruises per year, rather than 1 in a suite.

However, I can see how the non suite guests who still spend lots of money to take a cruise, might be made to feel as though they are second class. RCI must walk this line very carefully. Although the suite guests do pay more for those perks, there are a lot less of them. RCI's bread and butter is still the non suite, average cruiser. If those folks are made to feel as though they are of less importance because they are not in a suite, they will go elsewhere.

I've often wondered how many posters only cruise and never try any other type of 'getaway'. This may be why they can not grasp the whole roped off sections of things.

I've been to many resorts and all either have a private section of beach or butlers that come out to the beach and set up sections with a reserved sign in an area for the guests they are tending to.

kooljammin-priceless;

Land resorts, been there done that. Sometimes I am the one in the ropes, other times I am the one tied with the ropes....wait that is something else

LOL LOL :D

Kooljamming is just toooo much! That made me laugh right out loud!:p

I do land resorts mostly - only cruised twice. Some places I've been to do have some roped off sections - and reserved signs. However, it's usually a completely different section or area. For instance, I've never seen pool chairs around a pool with a literal metal stand with two ropes around 20 of them from the same area. Normally, at least at the places I've been to, it's a separate area totally. I guess kind of like how they describe NCL's villa suites. But the existence of roped off sections on a mass market resort would also look silly to me, so maybe it's me! lol I mean, picture a Sheraton resort with a roped off section near the pool - just blatently sitting in front of everyone - not in a special section or better area even....

I havent' said that there shouldn't be areas or perks. I only said that if last year I went to a resort and the use of the pool bar and pool were included in my rate and next year I book and am told that I can no longer use the pool and pool bar - but my price does not reflect the loss of that amenity - then I would indeed not book as I find it a shady practice. I don't think that removing services and amenities from the regular amenities that have been promoted as being expected and then retaining them for suite guests and calling them a perk is a very good business practice. I guess my issue is with people parroting 'you get what you pay for' when it has always been included in what you pay for to begin with. I think the best new slogan would be 'you don't get what you used to pay for!':p Mind you, I'm talking about the area of lounge chairs, the Barefoot beach nonsense and I guess you could throw in chocolates on the pillow, too from what one poster said. Wasn't that something that was just included? It's not like Ghiradelli is much better than Hershey's or Dove's. Now if they were using Maison du Chocolat or something I'd be impressed, lol!:D I might even book a suite! jk

Lucky P- forget this whole nonsense-you're outa here in 11 days!! Yay you!!! :D

Yes- kooljamming has a way with words at times that cracks me up!!

Really-we all need to find some humor. Between this thread with suite guests taking over, and the other one with the D and D+ taking over-all the rest of us will be jammed in one corner of the Windjammer for the 2 hours we're allowed out of our rooms.!!:p

Really-we all need to find some humor. Between this thread with suite guests taking over, and the other one with the D and D+ taking over-all the rest of us will be jammed in one corner of the Windjammer for the 2 hours we're allowed out of our rooms.!!:p

Lol - 11 Days ......Yay me! Thank you!:D It doesn't feel like it at all - I haven't even gone Xmas shopping yet because I've had finals and I work full time and its busy this time of year! I need this vacay so bad!

Lol - 11 Days ......Yay me! Thank you!:D It doesn't feel like it at all - I haven't even gone Xmas shopping yet because I've had finals and I work full time and its busy this time of year! I need this vacay so bad!

You'll appreciate it that much more!! Have a great time! :)

If you'll allow me to join in, I think that would be a really fun corner. I'll bring the rum runners! :D

If you'll allow me to join in, I think that would be a really fun corner. I'll bring the rum runners! :D

come on in-the doors open!!!:D I'll use my sons soda card and get mixers for all and we're set!:)

LuckyP-enjoy what sems to be your well needed R and R

I havent' said that there shouldn't be areas or perks. I only said that if last year I went to a resort and the use of the pool bar and pool were included in my rate and next year I book and am told that I can no longer use the pool and pool bar

who says you can't use the pool or the pool bar?

It's only few lounge chairs that are reserved, not the entire pool deck area..,..:confused:

who says you can't use the pool or the pool bar?

It's only few lounge chairs that are reserved, not the entire pool deck area..,..:confused:

Oh no, that was part of a post I wrote about land resorts. We were discussing roped off and reserved sections in land resorts for a minute there. I never said the pool or pool bar weren't available on RCCL! :p I must need sleep = I don't think I'm making sense anymore!

G'night all

come on in-the doors open!!!:D I'll use my sons soda card and get mixers for all and we're set!:)

LuckyP-enjoy what sems to be your well needed R and R

I am will be wearing the skinny jeans.

All the talk of rope, I thought there was more to the discussion....ooops:D

LuckyP- have a great trip;)

Archived